daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4261
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantotards View Post
. Orascom is telephone carrier.... they don't contruct anything in the builiding, but pay rent. NoKor would provide the upgrade to building.
That's wrong.

ORASCOM are a group based in Egypt with major interest in construction and Telecom internationally. They have stakes in many Telecomunication providers all around the World, as well as in Construction companies (one of which was on the consorcium that built Burj Khalifa, world's tallest structure/tower)

The way we understand it, is that Orascom is paying themselves to complete the building as a form of payment to NoKo Goverment to award them the GSM Mobile Phone licence.

Interesting aspects from the that Kempinski Director interview:

- 350 rooms to be managed by them
- Construction crews are Chinese (nothing unusual for work being subcontracted)
- The Mangment Contract was signed with the NoKo Goverment (obviously as they are the owners)
- They will employ allot of local staff, howwever they will have to train them for long, duee to lack of experience in hospitality sector
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4262
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1156

Does 350 rooms include technical and service rooms?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4263
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 822

Genius design on this one, who is the architect?
The seventh shape está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4264
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Baikdoosan Architects and Engineers.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4265
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Does 350 rooms include technical and service rooms?
Why would the Hotel operator talk about utilities?
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #4266
LeCom

Likes (Received): 699

If they have really low occupancy, I suggest they convert at least one floor into a paintball arena. Great attraction for both visitors and locals, and they could pass it off as military training for the Glorious People's Army.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #4267
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The tower will have low occupancy when it is finished because all supertall skyscrapers do. Over time, this will attract more tenants. Hopefully, they'll be allowed space in the building.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4268
Enthusiast Finn

Likes (Received): 13

Huge hotel tower.
Enthusiast Finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4269
embassyofaudrey

Likes (Received): 2516

so beautiful...congrat Pyongyang
embassyofaudrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4270
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I haven't seen anything to prove me wrong, and you saying the imaginary report is actually credible isn't going to change that. Even the western articles repeating the same stuff, word for word, (because they can't think of anything else to say about it) isn't going to make them any more right if what they repeat isn't right, and is outdated, to begin with.
Maybe if the building looked like this one (still standing since the 90s) I would listen to what they say about it.
http://digitaljournal.com/img/6/5/7/...kasnije-08.jpg
http://cabinetmagazine.org/issues/1/GEN_DET3.jpg
All the articles I posted proved you wrong and with the exception of 2 none had identical texts. Also the pictures taken of the hotel before construction was resumed proved you wrong. These are nearly all info we have about the hotel, so nearly all info we have proved you wrong.

Here, I'm gonna post the pics again so you can see the heavy damage on the facade. Again, I'm not saying these pics are the ultimate proof alone but together with the EUChoC report they make up a puzzle which clearly proofs the hotel isn't safe.

[IMG]http://i49.************/nb9214.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/jsoz6r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/jgrsid.jpg[/IMG]

Especially the last pic shows the crumbling of the balcony floor slabs. Right in front of my house I have a concrete floor slab exposed to the elements for 44 years and it is no where near as damaged as these slabs exposed to the elements for only 16 years.

Last edited by Kanto; December 5th, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4271
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by embassyofaudrey View Post

so beautiful...congrat Pyongyang
that car looks like a ssangyong from south korea, isnt that illegal in north korea???

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4272
AltinD
The Modecator

None of those are structural elements, none of those have any importance in the structure, they may be very well becouse of a slopy formwork, that doesn't matter at all.
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 5th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4273
Kanto
Roof height crusader

And that is the reason why I wrote this:

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying these pics are the ultimate proof alone
Alone they don't mean much but if you read the EUChoC findings and look at them you see that in the limited extent of exterior photos they are in agreement with the findings. Also, thebalcony floor slabs aren't the only crumbling concrete in the pics. Essentially the whole facade crumbles, even the facade of the load bearing elements.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4274
AltinD
The Modecator

Once again Kanto, there is no EUChoC findings, no one has seen that report, and no one knows how that report was compiled, so stop BS-ing bringing it over and over again.

Didn't you learn by all those posts of yours getting deleted, over and over again?
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4275
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Once again, there was no technical inspections, there were no scientific and enginering tests carried out.

The links you keep posting just show that EUChoC issued a report, nothing more
Lie if it makes you happy but the evidence speaks for itself. Even BBC reported the results of the EUChoC inspection. Your conspiracy theory crumbles down like a card house.

ThatOneGuy:
Quote:
One final point I have to make is the difference between what other abandoned buildings have gone through vs. this building. You say there is an abandoned building that looks far better than this one did, but you have to account that North Korea has a humid climate, judging from the constantly cloudy sky, and rain. Buildings in dryer areas can resist cosmetic damage better.
Also account for the sloping sides - more rain travels on sloped sides, and you only show pictures of the face of the wings only. The straight walls look quite good for being abandoned for so long. The balconies are chipped because they're exposed, due to sloping, and I doubt the other abandoned building you are referring to has sloped walls.
This building in Zagreb has sloped sections that are crumbled and awful
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6...929copyms6.jpg

And again, if the building I posted a while ago can stand like that for 15 years and counting, this one is fine...
Not exactly. North Korea and Slovakia are in comparable humidity zones. There might be minor differences, but in general they are comparable. Also, when I compared the status of the facade concrete to other buildings or the pannel laying outside of my home I compared all of their parts. What I want to say is that the Slaughterhotel is not just crumbled on the balconies and the sloped sides, but also arround windows. These are not directly exposed. Also, the other abandonned unfinished buildings that I used for refference have a far better condition even on exposed parts like the roof/top slab or similar places. This means that exposure doesn't explain the big difference between the status of the concrete of these buildings and the status of the concrete of the Slaughterhotel.

Btw, here are some humidity maps:

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4276
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I think it's less about humidity and more about freezing. Concrete bridges in cold climates need constant maintenence to prevent water from getting in the cracks and freezing. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...4C&FORM=IQFRBA

Now imagine that this 'abandoned' building, with clear cracks in the concrete filled with water in the lowest levels and froze. Over and over. Hopefully those areas were given the most repair attention.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4277
AltinD
The Modecator

Yes, freezing is the main issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Lie if it makes you happy but the evidence speaks for itself. Even BBC reported the results of the EUChoC inspection. Your conspiracy theory crumbles down like a card house.
You seams to lack enough processing power on separating issues, don't you.

BBC reported what EUChoC said in their report. We are not saying they did not issued any report (if we did you would have a point), we are saying there is no evidence EUChoC carried out any tests on the building.

You say they did, then provide evidence on what they did (but of course you would not be able to gasp this very simple thing and would go on again with the "media reported it"
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4278
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1156

People with qualifications will know if the report is fake or real. You, Kanto (judging by quality of your posts here), have absolutely no credibility on construction and engineering so even if they hit you in the face with details, you'd still dismiss them. You said you mainly worked with science articles. Links you provide are pure propaganda, BBC being one of them only CONFIRMS their intentions to pick on DPRK, and is biased by default. I have a report from South Korean institute about the future of this hotel and its current state. They said Ryugyong Hotel was going to be remodelled up to the 25th floor. How do you respond to that?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4279
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1849

Does it really matter? Its not like 평양 tourists have been complaining about lack of hotel rooms. If it collapses they'll blame Seoul, if not its thanks to 김정은 and the magical unicorn he saw. I suspect as much is in North Korea they will probably just put up a facade and it'll remain unfinished and empty inside
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #4280
sammyk

Likes (Received): 34

Interesting how the European Union Chamber of Commerce in Korea was formed a year or so before this hotel's construction started and closed after it was pretty much completed.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel