daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4281
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
Actually, people do comment what is the point of building all those supertall when it will be mainly empty.

Who else has signed up?
You do realize skyscrapers aren't suposed to be exlusively commercial buildings with companies signing up for office space ..... right?

I mean, you know this skyscraper is primarily a hotel, right?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4282
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
You do realize skyscrapers aren't suposed to be exlusively commercial buildings with companies signing up for office space ..... right?

I mean, you know this skyscraper is primarily a hotel, right?
Yes, it was meant to be a hotel, all of it, now, it has been scale back.

Unless NK can boost tourism hundred fold, we are not going to see the hotel fill up anytime soon. If other business can get in, assume the structure allow, they are better off becomes mix use.

Anyway, I am quoting this

Quote:
This building will fill up faster than the Empire State Building did, since there are already tenants planning to use it,
So far, I think only 10% of the internal is renovated, ready for occupation.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4283
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
Yes, it was meant to be a hotel, all of it, now, it has been scale back.

Unless NK can boost tourism hundred fold, we are not going to see the hotel fill up anytime soon. If other business can get in, assume the structure allow, they are better off becomes mix use.

Anyway, I am quoting this

So far, I think only 10% of the internal is renovated, ready for occupation.
But they are only fitting out and opening 350 rooms. That's not a big number at all.
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4284
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I would visit NK ONLY to see, and stay in, this building. The rest of the country does not interest me at all. Fly into Pyongyang, bus ride to the Ryugyong, check in for one night, check out - go home.

The EUChoC report is old, outdated, and obviously UNAVAILABLE FOR ALL TO READ. The 'bad' 'irrepairable' concrete was chipped away (probably with hammers and hand chisels) and replaced with fresh strong new Orascom concrete, the RECENT pictures prove that. The 'crooked' elevator shafts had shims installed to make nice straight steel supports. End of story.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; December 7th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4285
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

Kanto, I did post evidence of the Dutch/DPRKan report and you dismissed it even though it was real. Just relate to the statement of them remodelling the bottom 25 floors. The original submitter was Hyeong Jung Park, PhD of Marburg University, if that tells you anything.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4286
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

That was a North Korean/Macedonian report, it wasn't dutch and I debunked it and have clearly proven that it lacks absolutely any credibility. Now if you would be kind enough to post a link for your information I could check it out.
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4287
VisUnitaFortior

Likes (Received): 0

I'm going to DPRK in April next year, really hope I get a chance to see this crazy building up close.
VisUnitaFortior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4288
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That was a North Korean/Macedonian report, it wasn't dutch and I debunked it and have clearly proven that it lacks absolutely any credibility. Now if you would be kind enough to post a link for your information I could check it out.
Of course a report we can actually see, has less credibility then a report we can't, and know nothing about, or that it even exists
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4289
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Of course a report we can actually see, has less credibility then a report we can't, and know nothing about, or that it even exists
1st, we know that the EUChoC report exists and we know enough about it.

2nd, the North Korean/Macedonian report is, as its name suggests, coauthored by North Korea making it propaganda instead of research.
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #4290
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

Again, Kanto, can you SPECIFICALLY NAME things they had checked and what is your information based on? Please don't quote anymore articles from the media, they are not worth anybody's time, they just copypaste one line constantly. And this time be comprehensive and don't say EUCOC report is valid because it's from the EU.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4291
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Things they chacked: concrete quality, alignment of elevator shafts and overall potential of the building being repaired. Source: the countless articles about this report. Validity: because the findings of the report are reported by countless trustworthy web pages including BBC, which is among the most trustworthy news portals in the world and because the report was done by neutral people, not by North Koreans. There ya go, enough for ya?
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4292
Scrapernab2

It's not NK propaganda that I believe, it's reputable companies like Orascom and Kempinski. The danger is over, the old reports are moot, the structure has been repaired (not just remodeled) to the satification of those companies. Enough.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #4293
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2668

http://www.uniqhotels.com/ryugyong-hotel

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4294
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
It's not NK propaganda that I believe, it's reputable companies like Orascom and Kempinski. The danger is over, the old reports are moot, the structure has been repaired (not just remodeled) to the satification of those companies. Enough.
Repaired? How can something irreparable be repaired? Even trustworthy companies might not be trustworthy when money is involved. Orascom and Kempinski both have large deals with the DPHK considering the hotel, so they are far from being neutral.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4295
Scrapernab2

Irrepairable was an OPINION based on an inspection done many years ago (that none of us has seen) Anything is repairable with enough time, resources, money and WILL. Did you not see the photos with the chipped away concrete showing the exposed original rebar?
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #4296
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Sometimes buildings are irreparable, that's why they sometimes need to be demolished. For example after earthquakes many buildings get demolished because they can't be repaired.
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4297
Scrapernab2

I just read a report that could affect this hotel and the potential deal with Kempinski. Yes, I'm trying to change the subject...

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/07/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4298
Kantotards
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That's wrong.

ORASCOM are a group based in Egypt with major interest in construction and Telecom internationally. They have stakes in many Telecomunication providers all around the World, as well as in Construction companies (one of which was on the consorcium that built Burj Khalifa, world's tallest structure/tower)

The way we understand it, is that Orascom is paying themselves to complete the building as a form of payment to NoKo Goverment to award them the GSM Mobile Phone licence.

Interesting aspects from the that Kempinski Director interview:

- 350 rooms to be managed by them
- Construction crews are Chinese (nothing unusual for work being subcontracted)
- The Mangment Contract was signed with the NoKo Goverment (obviously as they are the owners)
- They will employ allot of local staff, howwever they will have to train them for long, duee to lack of experience in hospitality sector
Very interesting, I thought Samsung Contruction was the main designer and builder for the Burj Khalifa. And Orascom was phone carrier with license to operate in the North Korea with agreement to rent number of floors on the hotel for business once complete, after all NoKor was short of funds to complete the building, not lack of architectural engineering skills. But Orascom is good partner for NoKor economic developement, and if Orascom can assist in finish the super structure hotel, that is good thing.
Kantotards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4299
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Basic physics?
Also the fact that concrete weathers and deteriorates much differently in exterior vs interior conditions. The concrete walls in an interior hallway don't have to deal with years of battering rain, snow, and high altitude winds.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4300
Kanto
Roof height crusader

But weather damage isn't the concern here, concrete quality is. Concrete in the inside might be protected from rain however if the building has been built from the start with low quality concrete it will still be unsafe even when there is no rain damage inside. And I already stated a page or two ago that the concrete on the facade was performing really poorly.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel