daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4341
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61045

I like how it's 100% clear in the 1st picture that the glass is well, just what it is. It appears like it's a smooth surface, but that reflection is all over the place. If you want to cover a large surface with reflective glass this is not how it should be done.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4342
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Kanto, please answer this question: The DPKR invites the EUChoC (same people if they are still around) back to do a re-inspection of the Ryugyong Hotel after Orascom completes all structural work (if they haven't already) and they publish a report that airs on the BBC that states "the building's structure has been properly repaired and reinforced. The building is now safe". What would you say?
In such a scenario I would say OK and would accept the results of such a new inspection without hesitation. If the regime would fall and I would for any reason have to travel to North Korea I would have no problems staying in the building for a night or two, if your hypothetical scenario would be true. However it won't be because it was concluded that the hotel is beyond repair.
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4343
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
I like how it's 100% clear in the 1st picture that the glass is well, just what it is. It appears like it's a smooth surface, but that reflection is all over the place. If you want to cover a large surface with reflective glass this is not how it should be done.
What is wrong with the reflection?

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4344
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

The fourth pic, look how wide the thing is.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #4345
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
What is wrong with the reflection?
True it's not the smoothest of surfaces, but it doesn't have to be. A very smooth and not wobbly glass cladding is the exception, not the norm
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4346
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

If it was just wobbly glass the reflection of the lines would just be straight but wobbly. As everyone can see there are places where the reflection is truly all over the place, That clearly shows that the either the wall or the glass are very irregular. That just shows that this building doesn't have a high class finishing.

Some people say that people hate this building because it's in North Korea, but if it was constructed in Dubai or Shanghai it would have been hated by many more people.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4347
AltinD
The Modecator

Of course it doesn't have the best quality of finishing, no one ever denies that, what people here don't accept, is that the building is a death trap, as some insist (just because they read some news articles about an highly politized report that no one read or knows how it was compiled).
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #4348
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think it has one of the highest quality skyscraper claddings I've ever seen. Kinda embarrassing for this building in North Korea to have far better cladding than some buildings under construction in Chicago, where you can see big waves in even the full reflected sky. Even the big and strong Japan has a cheap and sickly puke-green cladding on its tallest skyscraper.
The only cladding I've seen with no waves whatsoever was on several low buildings.

Also, anyone who says this building would have been as hated anywhere else is lying.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 12th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4349
b5254

Likes (Received): 52

I read that the Egyptian company Orascom Group was mounting the facade. Anyone knows about them? Are they doing quality stuff?

I also read that Kempinski was interested in running the hotel business.

http://www.kempinski.com/en/hotels/welcome/
b5254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4350
ThatOneGuy

They are, but they mostly do concrete works, as a construction business. Nobody knows if they made the glass themselves or if they bought it from Chinese manufacturers.
Kempinski plans to take over the top 1/3 of the building for some hotel rooms.
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #4351
b5254

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
They are, but they mostly do concrete works, as a construction business. Nobody knows if they made the glass themselves or if they bought it from Chinese manufacturers.
The glass is said to be worth £111 million. Sounds a lot=quality stuff?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...side--now.html
b5254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4352
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Of course they bought them in China, even Burj Khaalifa has Chinese made glass panels (after the first planned German made ones, failed several tests) ... even the construction work was subcontracted to Chinese firms and workforce (as the Kempinski manager mentioned on his interview, and as was to be expected)
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 13th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #4353
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
If it was just wobbly glass the reflection of the lines would just be straight but wobbly. As everyone can see there are places where the reflection is truly all over the place, That clearly shows that the either the wall or the glass are very irregular. That just shows that this building doesn't have a high class finishing.

Some people say that people hate this building because it's in North Korea, but if it was constructed in Dubai or Shanghai it would have been hated by many more people.
Well if we look at SWFC's cladding it's the same case, are you saying it has crappy glass as well?

Old December 13th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #4354
ThatOneGuy

Good example is also 4WTC, it can look pretty wavy from some angles.
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #4355
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5254 View Post
The glass is said to be worth £111 million. Sounds a lot=quality stuff?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...side--now.html
Or maybe someone becomes very rich, while another got seriously rip off.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #4356
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Well if we look at SWFC's cladding it's the same case, are you saying it has crappy glass as well?

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1...1003064pe1.jpg
This is not a good example, yes the reflections are all over the place but they are all over the place on the whole surface. It's a different kind of glass, it was designed with a different look in mind then the glass on the Ryugyong Hotel.

It's more the irregularity of the reflections on the glass on the Ryugyong Hotel. You see a wobbly straight line that suddenly without any change in the glass or the shape of buildings the reflection goes of. That can only be irregularities in the building that you would not want to see if you design a glass surface that is meant to be smooth.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #4357
ThatOneGuy

Looks far worse than what's on the Ryugyong.
And you're really splitting hairs with the other stuff you said.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #4358
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
This is not a good example, yes the reflections are all over the place but they are all over the place on the whole surface. It's a different kind of glass, it was designed with a different look in mind then the glass on the Ryugyong Hotel.

It's more the irregularity of the reflections on the glass on the Ryugyong Hotel. You see a wobbly straight line that suddenly without any change in the glass or the shape of buildings the reflection goes of. That can only be irregularities in the building that you would not want to see if you design a glass surface that is meant to be smooth.
I may be misunderstanding you, but when I look at the picture it seems that Ryugyong's glass are all wobbly too, the reflection is all over the place on all panels across the facade, much like SWFC.
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4359
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
So what sort of glass did they use, what sort of glass did Ryugyong use?

Quote:
It is only that edge that has problem, why isn't the rest of the reflected surface from the other wing has those sort of anomaly, I can't tell for sure, I am not an optic expert, I do wonder if there might be other explaination.

Old December 14th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4360
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
We all know they have done a sloppy aesthetic job in the concrete work, which is the reason for that .... what many of us dispute here is the guess "the building is collapsing" that is presented as hard undisputed fact by a indoctrinated few
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel