daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4461
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoR_Vrn View Post
fail.
O RLY?

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4462
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfLondon View Post
how was the building meant to look originally? similar to how it is now or did they actually plan on showing the bare concrete?
Interesting question. I am more inclined to believe the original plans did not meant for the tower to be fully glass-cladded
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4463
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

That poster had been sitting there for years.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #4464
AltinD
The Modecator

Sorry, haven't passed that road in a long long time

Seriously, so glass was the original design as well
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4465
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

We need a worldwide sarcasm font.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4466
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I'm terrible at finding things on this site. The advanced seach feature is really bad. I will look back a few (hundred) pages, but I am sure I have seen it.

Hello Kevin! That sure is some good propaganda you are smoking. We can see clearly in the pictures of the pre-clad structure just how good the North Korean super structures are. Orascom is not just a phone company...

Edit: found it!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4323
This is not a core. You can see that because the length to width ratio of the wings is exactly that of the finished building's wings. The wings of the finished building are 100 meters long and 15 meters wide. If for example the core was 5 meters away from the perimeter in the wings then it would be 5 meters wide but 95 meters long. That means the length would be 95% but the width would be only 33%. The length to width ratio would rise from 20:3 to 19:1, which would be very visible. The fact that the ratio remains the same as the finished building is proof that this is not the case.

So since this is not a core, what is it? I think they constructed the hotel in such sections because often the thickness of supports in the lower parts of a building is greater than in the upper parts of the building. I think they just wanted to have the entire section with thickness A finished before they start with the section with thickness B. The center of the building is stressed the most so the thicker concrete goes up the longest way. The ends of the wings are stressed less but still more than the middle of the wings, that's why the thicker walls go higher than in the center of the wings.

I don't know the exact structure of the building but in my opinion this building has no place to put a core because of its shape. It looks like the perimeter structure is the main load bearing structure, there might be walls in the center but they play a minor role, similar to the destroyed WTC Twins. One could say that the entire building is the core.
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4467
Donodöner
Public Enemy №1

Likes (Received): 1729

Is it the truth that NK allows weed?

Sorry for off-top.

I don't knwo how to think abou this hotel.

Grand City Moscow

Donodöner posted this like

Sorry, away for a long time, 'cause engineering student

Last edited by Donodöner; January 21st, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Donodöner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4468
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
This is not a core. You can see that because the length to width ratio of the wings is exactly that of the finished building's wings. The wings of the finished building are 100 meters long and 15 meters wide. If for example the core was 5 meters away from the perimeter in the wings then it would be 5 meters wide but 95 meters long. That means the length would be 95% but the width would be only 33%. The length to width ratio would rise from 20:3 to 19:1, which would be very visible. The fact that the ratio remains the same as the finished building is proof that this is not the case.

So since this is not a core, what is it? I think they constructed the hotel in such sections because often the thickness of supports in the lower parts of a building is greater than in the upper parts of the building. I think they just wanted to have the entire section with thickness A finished before they start with the section with thickness B. The center of the building is stressed the most so the thicker concrete goes up the longest way. The ends of the wings are stressed less but still more than the middle of the wings, that's why the thicker walls go higher than in the center of the wings.

I don't know the exact structure of the building but in my opinion this building has no place to put a core because of its shape. It looks like the perimeter structure is the main load bearing structure, there might be walls in the center but they play a minor role, similar to the destroyed WTC Twins. One could say that the entire building is the core.

You are once again spewing bullshit. I can see what you did there - by just looking at the picture you immediately came up with (yet another) a fantasy story about this building not having a core. Is this how you estimated concrete quality as well? Besides, what kind of calculations is that? Where did you get these absurd numbers from? Central core is a cylinder with diameter of 34m. The wings are 56mx19m, and the whole bearing wall spatial system is formed as a combination of reinforced concrete circular walls of the central core, both external and corridor walls of the wings (which are separate structures, mind you), and the reinforced concrete slabs.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM   #4469
Kanto
Roof height crusader

If you would actually read what I wrote I never said I know the internal structure of this building, I only said that what one can see on THAT PIC is not a core. Then I gave MY OPINION on what we see on that pic and MY OPINION on what I THINK the building might look on the inside. The only fact that I stated was the fact that what we see on the pic is not a core.

But now back to you, unlike me you state your opinion as an obvious fact so let me ask you, from where do you have such detailed information to speak about the internal structure with such certainity?
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4470
krkseg1ops

How is 'Since this is not a core' an opinion rather than stating the obvious? How do you know how a core looks like in Ryugyong? As for the info, I got it from the place you will never look at which is the 5th results page on Google. But this thread is not about me so either respond to the information provided or do not reply to my comments.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4471
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Very nice evasion skills but not enough to evade the question I posted, so let me ask you again, what is your source? A link is a source so if you do have a source, why not post it? I always post links so it's nothing dificult. Just copy the link and paste it into a post, that's easy.

And btw, in this: "So since this is not a core, what is it?" the "this" clearly highlights that I was talking about that pic and not in general. And the pic clearly is not a core. Further you can read this: "what is it? I think they constructed ...." which clearly highlights that beyond this point I wasn't stating a fact, but just what I think.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4472
krkseg1ops

I fail to understand how you cannot simply answer the question. As to the source, I have provided links in the past but since they weren't from BBC, you had dismissed them all as pure communist propaganda. Why would I bother posting anything again? People have already PMed me for those and got their responses. You, Kanto, want the link to 'debunk it' rather than discuss it. I am not posting this to prove you anything. In fact, I want to keep the discussion as viable as possible but it is impossible with you and your 'Slaughterhotel' attitude. If you cannot respond to the figures I had provided rather than stick to your imaginary numbers, don't. So far only you have been dismissing everything about this hotel except for this legendary, non-existant link to the EUCoC report. If you can provide that, I will provide you with my sources. Actually, give me one factual data to analyse which you can support with evidence, then we will talk. Unfortunately, you have only been arguing and wasting my (and others) time.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4473
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Oh, so you don't really have a source. I'm not surprised. You write an essay about how evil I am, which sounds like one of the initiation tapes for the Heaven's Gate, but you don't bother to post a single short link. I think that is evidence enough that you really don't have any sources other than North Korean propaganda. So what figures do you want me to respond to if you don't post any source? Everybody could come up with the few words you posted. Also, if you would have any real evidence you wouldn't be so afraid of me debunking it. Sorry but not even a black hole could hide your fear.

I on the other hand posted over a dozen links to articles discussing the EUChoC inspections so you see, I back my claims up with loads of evidence while you back them up only with Heaven's Gate style essays
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #4474
krkseg1ops

Sure Kanto, whatever you say, your links are pure gold

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4475
Kanto
Roof height crusader

My links are from trustworthy sources while your link (and there is just one you provided) is propaganda from a North Korean Institute. We all know that everything that is North Korean is controlled by the Kim dynasty so seriously, it can't get anymore less trustworthy than that. That report is comparable to other propaganda like claims of how democratic and happy North Korea is or claims about the paranormal abilities of Kim Jong Il.

In the end, neither you nor me conducted any tests, we both have our opinions based on external sources. All of our evidence (both yours and mine) are from something that was claimed and written by somebody else. Both the articles I posted and the article you posted can be easily faked by nearly everybody. This isn't just the case of this hotel. Pretty much everything we read or hear from somewhere can be easily faked. The only thing that the forumers on this forum can do is to assess the trustworthyness of a source. And that is what I've done. The conclusion to which I came is that the North Korean report has absolutely zero trustworthyness while the EUChoC report is as trustworthy as something from the internet just can be. This evaluation has led to my position in this discussion. It has nothing to do with whether I like the hotel and the country or not. it all just comes down to the trustworthyness of the various sources.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4476
ThatOneGuy

@ krk You've seen the comments on the articles about this building. Pure example of sheepery right there. You can't avoid the bias that the media has against this tower, and they will do whatever they can to make it look bad, since they had so much going for them when it was abandoned, claiming it was a 'metaphor' for North Korea. Now they legitimately can't say anything bad about it without making up fantasies, so they will use sensationalism to keep the crowd drawn to their opinions. Like calling it 'Hotel of Doom' far more than 'Ryugyong' and by showing the cladding partially installed to reveal the dirty concrete underneath. They'd lose their jobs if they said anything nice about it, so are they really that trustworthy?
Just ignore them, since them not liking this tower is only their loss. It's a beautiful piece of architecture plagued only by its location.

Also another funny thing, on each of the 'ugliest buildings' lists I see with this tower on it, very rarely do I see a person expressing how they think it's physically ugly. You never see anyone commenting "ugh, three connected triangles with a cone? How awful" but instead I've seen comments like "The korean hotel looks cool, actually" The negative comments about it said stuff like "maybe Kim jong Il lives there"

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; January 21st, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4477
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3740

Guys, remember that time when two of every three posts in this thread were requests for locking it? Do you remember why all those people asked for that?

Take petty arguments to PM, please. Having it here will only annoy people, and bury news and pictures under piles of name-calling.
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4478
krkseg1ops

I don't think these have been posted before.
image hosted on flickr

The Ryugyong Hotel by Tom Peddle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pyongyang by theoorm, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DPRK, Pyongyang, Ryugyong Hotel by paulineandjohng2008, on Flickr

Swiddle, ThatOneGuy, Levathian, Dadam91 liked this post

Last edited by krkseg1ops; January 21st, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:05 PM   #4479
ThatOneGuy

@Kyll To be honest, no one here gives a shit when there's a good streak of nice photos. It goes to the second page in no time. Makes me wonder how many people actually follow this building, so why should they care if there's an argument on it?

@krk Nice one. Cool mysterious aura to it...
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #4480
ThatOneGuy

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/6948419

Another good photo from about 2 years ago that wasn't posted here. (can't embed)

It shows the magnificence of this tower, but the small person walking alone in front of the blank wall also says a lot. But one day, this building will help their economy.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel