daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4481
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

without the cladding it was damn ugly but now...it's one of my favourite towers on earth
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:51 PM   #4482
almondsfield
BANNED

Likes (Received): 949

Interesting desing, very futuristic from the communist era.

Wonder who is taking the pictures and updates? I thought internet in NK was forbiden.
almondsfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4483
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Non-North Koreans take them and then upload them at their home countries.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #4484
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

You mean 'tourists'
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4485
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
@ krk You've seen the comments on the articles about this building. Pure example of sheepery right there. You can't avoid the bias that the media has against this tower, and they will do whatever they can to make it look bad, since they had so much going for them when it was abandoned, claiming it was a 'metaphor' for North Korea. Now they legitimately can't say anything bad about it without making up fantasies, so they will use sensationalism to keep the crowd drawn to their opinions. Like calling it 'Hotel of Doom' far more than 'Ryugyong' and by showing the cladding partially installed to reveal the dirty concrete underneath. They'd lose their jobs if they said anything nice about it, so are they really that trustworthy?
Just ignore them, since them not liking this tower is only their loss. It's a beautiful piece of architecture plagued only by its location.

Also another funny thing, on each of the 'ugliest buildings' lists I see with this tower on it, very rarely do I see a person expressing how they think it's physically ugly. You never see anyone commenting "ugh, three connected triangles with a cone? How awful" but instead I've seen comments like "The korean hotel looks cool, actually" The negative comments about it said stuff like "maybe Kim jong Il lives there"
You ever thought that perhaps the entire world is not conspiring against this hotel? That perhaps people really find it ugly. If somebody conspires against something it is against something that many people are interested in. Only people on this forum and on SSP are interested in skyscrapers. These few people are just not worth the effort. When I google something about this hotel this thread is always on the first page. This is so because there virtually are no other places on the net where people actively talk about it.

To put the long story short, I fully trust the articles. The only problem I see here is that some forumers who like this building just don't want to accept that it isn't the greatest building in the world.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4486
ThatOneGuy

But I find no reason as to why people should find it ugly. Most complaints about the shape come from box lovers. Not to mention the shape of this one and Russia Tower is so similar, yet the latter is adored by everyone. So is it ugly because it has a cone on top and it's wide? Does that really make it the ugliest building in the world? If it really comes to that 'futurist' architectural style, then they haven't looked hard enough to find ugly buildings. (Oriental Pearl Tower)
Every negative comment I've seen had at least something to do with the location, the owners, or its history. Otherwise it's a surreal, sword-like behemoth covered in beautiful glass. There is, without a doubt, bias against this building for unfair reasons. And every negative comment, anyway, is equaled with at least two positive comments saying how 'cool it looks...'

Even if someone dislikes it for its architecture, I don't care. But you can't say that 'the reason people hate it is mostly because it's ugly' because, really, it's not.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #4487
ThatOneGuy

Avoiding the laughable 'argument'...

I believe this is the most recent photo of the tower, taken when the Google executive visited NK to offer internet service

krkseg1ops, Insider2012, Swiddle, the dogi liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4488
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

I really can't wait for this building to open. As soon as it happens, I am going there!
krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4489
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Avoiding the laughable 'argument'...

I believe this is the most recent photo of the tower, taken when the Google executive visited NK to offer internet service

Nothing has changed, nothing else can change, all people interest in is the inside now.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #4490
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
But I find no reason as to why people should find it ugly. Most complaints about the shape come from box lovers. Not to mention the shape of this one and Russia Tower is so similar, yet the latter is adored by everyone. So is it ugly because it has a cone on top and it's wide? Does that really make it the ugliest building in the world? If it really comes to that 'futurist' architectural style, then they haven't looked hard enough to find ugly buildings. (Oriental Pearl Tower)
Every negative comment I've seen had at least something to do with the location, the owners, or its history. Otherwise it's a surreal, sword-like behemoth covered in beautiful glass. There is, without a doubt, bias against this building for unfair reasons. And every negative comment, anyway, is equaled with at least two positive comments saying how 'cool it looks...'

Even if someone dislikes it for its architecture, I don't care. But you can't say that 'the reason people hate it is mostly because it's ugly' because, really, it's not.
For many people it really is ugly, and for many people it's beautiful. Ugliness and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder. There's no such thing as objective ugliness or objective beauty. Therefore one's aesthetic feeling can not be completely explained. Polls can be made but even they represent only the numbers of people with a certain opinion, they don't give you any absolute truth of some sort.

It is a fact that there indeed are people who dislike the building for its location but that is true for all buildings arround the world. This however, in my opinion, shouldn't mean that one starts to disregard anything which says something bad about the building. I don't see anything wrong or anything biased if somebody calls it the Hotel of Doom, it's their opinion and there is nothing wrong with it, just as there is nothing wrong with somebody saying the building is beautiful. I respect both your opinion and the opinion of Esquire. Everything is OK as long as opinions don't get mixed up with facts
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4491
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Done - change status
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4492
ThatOneGuy

Externally, yes, but it's really only done when the first rooms become operational. I'm sure the opening celebration for this tower will be hard to miss... What, with kempinski being in charge of the hotel and the tower being the biggest thing in Pyongyang. I wonder how the rest of the world will react to it?
If blue neon strips went across the sloped like the lighting at the SWFC, that would be amazing, pure Sci-fi.

@ Kanto Alright, fair enough
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4493
KevinHello

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
And SAMSUNG only makes mobile phones, they absolutely don't construct/build any superstructures
You have a point... but SAMSUNG is different league compared to Orascom. The Tallest Buildings in Malaysia, Taiwan, and Dubai was constructed by Samsung Construction. Orascom Construction is mainly for industrial and infrastructure projects along with residential buildings, but high risers like the one in NoKor. But perhaps Orascom Construction can support NoKor with interior and wiring, so on...
KevinHello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4494
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 10935

With the cladding is one of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world. If it is ever completed it will be tourist attraction, a hotel in a country completely different form the rest of the world. Coming to North Korea is like coming to zoo and see how things are so odd. A country without cars, jams, cell phones , internet, cable tv etc.
Harryx5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #4495
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

whats wrong with those things, please elaborate, you make it sound like the west is all so great and that everyone should follow?

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4496
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I think what he means is when you live in the modern western world going to a place like that is strange and like you are watching something surreal.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4497
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryx5 View Post
With the cladding is one of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world. If it is ever completed it will be tourist attraction, a hotel in a country completely different form the rest of the world. Coming to North Korea is like coming to zoo and see how things are so odd. A country without cars, jams, cell phones , internet, cable tv etc.
I didn't know I have been living in a (very similar) zoo for the first 18 years of my life
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 27th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4498
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHello View Post
You have a point... but SAMSUNG is different league compared to Orascom. The Tallest Buildings in Malaysia, Taiwan, and Dubai was constructed by Samsung Construction. Orascom Construction is mainly for industrial and infrastructure projects along with residential buildings, but high risers like the one in NoKor. But perhaps Orascom Construction can support NoKor with interior and wiring, so on...
1. Burj Khalifa was build by a JV of Samsung, Arabtec, BESIX. BESIX is a JV between UAE's Belhasaa aand Belgium's Six Construct. Guess who owns Six Construct in Belgium

2. Orascom has subcontracted work to Chinese construction companies, a common practice

3. When Orascom went there and got the deal, Emaar's Chairman (the company that built Burj Khalifa), was also there to struck a mining deal for a company he controls on the side.
I can cheat you blind.

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #4499
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryx5 View Post
A country without cars, jams, cell phones , internet, cable tv etc.
Acording the last numbers, they have 1.2 Millon of cell phones. (5% of population)

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #4500
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

[IMG]http://i50.************/10g04xu.jpg[/IMG]

CP11, Adrian Fulga, the dogi liked this post
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel