daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #4541
tupperware
experto en cosas

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Tranways no allways been beutifull
tupperware no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4542
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Yes about the second part of the post, but about statues, don't you also have tons of them? Of people who have masacred and killed an mass? Isn't Admiral Nelson one of your statued heroes?

Anyway, hello, it's about the tower, not the place ... hello, can you hear me there?
I love the way you're disparaging post has been left up yet the replies it engendered are removed. stupid bloody mods.
Anyway, let me list a few other of our statued heroes shall I........
Alexander Graham Bell, without whom you wouldn't have a phone.
Alexander Fleming, without whom your first childhood disease might have killed you.
Sir Michael Faraday, without whom you wouldn't have very much at all,seeing as he invented the electric motor. To name just a few, there are many more believe me. So, where do you come from???
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4543
parsonsnose
BANNED

"MY engineering background and knowledge tells me that the shape of this building would actually give it awesome stability in the event of an earthquake, but only if the structure itself is sound."

Thinking about this, being too rigid might not be such a good thing in the event of an earthquake.
Most tall buildings are designed to sway a little to alleviate stress, such as the ones in Tokyo last year.
This doesn't look as though it could sway at all with the buttressing of the three sides.
Another reason not to be anywhere near it in a quake.
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4544
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Earthquake no. Hurricane/Cyclone/Typhoon? The structure would do well, but I'd bet all the cladding would fly off, because the bolts and shims would rip outta the poor surface quality concrete.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4545
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman94 View Post
haters gonna hate, but whole building looks better than 1 WTC (IMO)
Exactly
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #4546
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

No words...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #4547
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
I love the way you're disparaging post has been left up yet the replies it engendered are removed. stupid bloody mods.
Anyway, let me list a few other of our statued heroes shall I........
Alexander Graham Bell, without whom you wouldn't have a phone.
Alexander Fleming, without whom your first childhood disease might have killed you.
Sir Michael Faraday, without whom you wouldn't have very much at all,seeing as he invented the electric motor. To name just a few, there are many more believe me. So, where do you come from???
here:

Quote:
hello, it's about the tower, not the place ... hello, can you hear me there?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4548
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
"MY engineering background and knowledge tells me that the shape of this building would actually give it awesome stability in the event of an earthquake, but only if the structure itself is sound."

Thinking about this, being too rigid might not be such a good thing in the event of an earthquake.
Most tall buildings are designed to sway a little to alleviate stress, such as the ones in Tokyo last year.
This doesn't look as though it could sway at all with the buttressing of the three sides.
Another reason not to be anywhere near it in a quake.
You are missing the point: Is NoKO an active sismic zone? Not really. Buildings are designed as per the history of the area they are to be located. It doesn't matter what Japan uses and does ... AT ALL

Is the building able to sustain a earthquake as per engineering requirements from places with similar sizmic history? I would say yes, at least it was designed to. I have said this many times: I do believe the building has been most probably over-engineered, it's common in places where people involved would literally loose their heads if something happens

As for the effect of the abandon, we don't know and we can't know without a throghout series of tests .... the pictures (once again) are NOT a indication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Earthquake no. Hurricane/Cyclone/Typhoon? The structure would do well, but I'd bet all the cladding would fly off, because the bolts and shims would rip outta the poor surface quality concrete.
Don't paanels in such cases fly off because they get loose from the bolts and shims, not that these get loose from the concrete? FYI, panels are hanged, they aren't drilled in
I can cheat you blind.

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #4549
parsonsnose
BANNED

"You are missing the point: Is NoKO an active sismic zone? Not really."

I'd already stated this...

" Apparently there is a a historical record of earthquakes in korea from the distant past but none in recent times"

In geological terms our distant past is nothing, they have apparently had some big quakes there in the past so may have some in the future.
There is also a huge volcano in that area that some scientists are predicting could erupt anytime. I'm not wishing that on them, they have enough problems.

"As for the effect of the abandon, we don't know and we can't know without a throghout series of tests .... the pictures (once again) are NOT a indication"

You've changed your tune there haven't you?"

"That shows how much you know .... you can't judge the status of the concrete by photographs. No matter how crooked it might look, it says nothing about it's strength and of the overall structure.

It's just cosmetic, nothing else."
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4550
parsonsnose
BANNED

Quote:
Yes about the second part of the post, but about statues, don't you also have tons of them? Of people who have masacred and killed an mass? Isn't Admiral Nelson one of your statued heroes?

Anyway, hello, it's about the tower, not the place ... hello, can you hear me there?
That was your full post.
If you wish to keep the thread on topic don't cast aspersions at other people's countries.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #4551
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
That was your full post.
If you wish to keep the thread on topic don't cast aspersions at other people's countries.
Pro Tip: And if you wish to remain a forumer here, don't cast aspersions on mods and other forumers.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #4552
parsonsnose
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Pro Tip: And if you wish to remain a forumer here, don't cast aspersions on mods and other forumers.
Here's one for you.

Kiss my Arse.
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #4553
Cardinal-Biggles
Architectural Designer

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
but like other posters who express any negative opinion on the tower seem to be looked down upon, even ridiculed/not taken seriously. I doubt people who defend the tower actually have any Architects/Engineers in their contacts, nor any background experience based on the retorts and arguments.

Parsonsnose actually made some good arguments that I share, and with the little bit of knowledge from working in the field, university courses, and just simple conversations with my professors about the tower that coincide, I'm not looking to outright debunk him.

In my posts earlier in this thread, I know I used a few case studies as arguments only to be told they were irrelevant. The posters are immature when they post things as believing that a skyline is the best because it has billions of supertalls, or because a building is a supertall, then it must be the biggest achievement in the human race....that this infatuation for a building that was built by a government that worships a guy who claimed to golf a hole in one in all his shots, despite the obvious structural defects shows you that any type of "aspersion" is to be expected.
Cardinal-Biggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #4554
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

The building looks great, but that tramway bus looks like it was towed out of a junkyard.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4555
ThatOneGuy

The obvious structural defects that can't be found anywhere except for wikipedia and the articles that copied from it. The defects are so bad that Orascom concrete engineers conspired with north Korea to explicitly say the tower is completely safe, so that it would collapse on its workers and they would get conspiracy inside-job money.This is what the naysayers believe, isn't it?

The Egyptian pyramids were built by full-blown slaves, and the Moscow University by Commies who worshiped Stalin, so are they terrible buildings? Not to mention the other hundreds of thousands of adored historical structures built by poor, oppressed people?

Time to post photos, not revert back to those archaic ideas of 'abandoned Death Hotel'.
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaruka/...n/photostream/

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; February 6th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #4556
PIA777

Likes (Received): 4183

Honestly speaking, one of the best man made structure I have ever seen, its amazing.
PIA777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #4557
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Agree! This is a stunning building, no matter what some say.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #4558
ThatOneGuy

Look at that 'Abandoned Doom Hotel of Death'

Soon to collapse at full occupation, because those darn Egyptians didn't listen to that comment by some obscure South Korean commission!
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4559
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Don't panels in such cases fly off because they get loose from the bolts and shims, not that these get loose from the concrete? FYI, panels are hanged, they aren't drilled in
I agree, but this particular building is different! The normal method is to 'hang' the cladding on the edges of the recently poured concrete and run bolts into the holes filled with epoxy. This building sat for a lot of years and the concrete was given a facelift. Did they drill new holes into only new surface or into the old stuff to attach the shimmed framework? What's the holding power? How deep did they drill new holes? Did they use the latest high tech epoxy? I think they probably tested a new method before starting all that work. Too many unknowns is why I raised the question.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4560
AltinD
The Modecator

I don't think the weight of the panels would make the bolts and hooks (from where they hang) to go loose from the concrete, no matter how crappy the concrete would be
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel