daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4781
krkseg1ops
Registered User
 
krkseg1ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kraków - dawna stolica Polaków
Posts: 1,920
Likes (Received): 1145

If you actually had gone through those reports, you would have noticed actual data on types of concrete and their properties. But the sole fact of you still admitting allegiance to that phantasmal report is enough for me to never speak to you again on the topics you have no clue about. And you claim to do researching for a living? Boy, that must be one hell of experience having you as an employee :lol2: Go hunt some unicorns.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4782
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

So what, you honestly think that it is impossible to write down descriptions of a concrete type that in fact wasn't used in the discussed building? It's text for god's sake, every engineer can write it without ever leaving his flat
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4783
krkseg1ops
Registered User
 
krkseg1ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kraków - dawna stolica Polaków
Posts: 1,920
Likes (Received): 1145

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4784
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

What, a only 41 words post by Kanto? What did just happen?
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4785
Ed007Toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 834
Likes (Received): 71

Crazy project
__________________
Check out UrbanToronto
http://urbantoronto.ca/
http://skyrisecities.com/


MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4786
krkseg1ops
Registered User
 
krkseg1ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kraków - dawna stolica Polaków
Posts: 1,920
Likes (Received): 1145

image hosted on flickr

Pyongyang Skyline with Ryugyong Hotel by ZXair, on Flickr
__________________
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #4787
iJosh
나쁜 머슴애
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
that's actually a decent skyline
__________________

Henrich37 liked this post
iJosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4788
nr23Derek
Registered User
 
nr23Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwich
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 77

That image demonstrates what I said many pages upthread - from some angles the building looks strangely lop-sided.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4789
g.m.n.y.
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sydney/new york
Posts: 181
Likes (Received): 26

I have no personal stake in whether or not this building is structurally sound but I can escape the notion that there were only plans to open 100 rooms at the top of the hotel. You'd think that if reports of a hotel building boom in Pyongyang were true, all 1,500 rooms, or at least a larger portion, would have been ideal. Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why only 100 rooms were planned... I know this is a circumstantial analysis of the situation but isn't that all we can do in the absence of cold hard facts?
g.m.n.y. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4790
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Because that's the current demand ... and the funds that can be made available for it.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4791
dfiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.m.n.y. View Post
I have no personal stake in whether or not this building is structurally sound but I can escape the notion that there were only plans to open 100 rooms at the top of the hotel. You'd think that if reports of a hotel building boom in Pyongyang were true, all 1,500 rooms, or at least a larger portion, would have been ideal. Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why only 100 rooms were planned... I know this is a circumstantial analysis of the situation but isn't that all we can do in the absence of cold hard facts?
Tourists were more numerous in NK for a while. If I remember correctly, a SK tourist was murdered and SK demanded to be able to send in police to investigate. NK refused, wanting to maintain sovereignty and jurisdiction, and so SK now greatly discourages tourists to NK. Maybe someone can add details or correct this recollection.

Also economic sanctions and political grandstanding has largely limited tourists from western nations and even china.

Hence, there isn't enough demand for the entire hotel to be put into service. That is why the plan isn't to open the entire building as a hotel right now. If political tensions subside, over time it would be expected for a higher percentage of the building to be occupied.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4792
g.m.n.y.
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sydney/new york
Posts: 181
Likes (Received): 26

Not far back in this thread was an article about new hotels being built to satisfy the demand from increased tourism. I assume tourists from China and other places
g.m.n.y. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4793
krkseg1ops
Registered User
 
krkseg1ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kraków - dawna stolica Polaków
Posts: 1,920
Likes (Received): 1145

Some pictures not posted before:
image hosted on flickr

Rugyong Hotel, North Korea by CyrusKPhotography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ryugyong Hotel - Pyongyang by ZXair, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ryugyong Hotel by OwenJacob, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ryugyong Hotel by OwenJacob, on Flickr
__________________
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4794
Сталин
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,780
Likes (Received): 1109

The base is becoming more and more complete.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #4795
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

Amazing pictures! I wish we had more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
1,
Bud, at this point, just believe whatever you want to believe. Despite pretty much everybody disagreeing with you, and you being the complete laughing stock of this thread, you keep at it, and that motivation is pretty respectable. It's occured to me that for you, it isn't really about the facts, but merely the people who said the facts, and I guess nothing can change that way of thinking, not even me.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #4796
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Pretty much everybody in this thread you forgot to say. People who visit this thread mostly (not all of them) love the building and will believe anything just for the building to look allright in their eyes. I on the other hand am searching for evidence and facts. Trust me, most people outside of this thread laugh at North Korean propaganda, so this thread is in no way a representation of public opinion.

As to my motivation, I believe that potemkin villages help no one. Why to pretend that this hotel is perfect when in fact, it is unsafe and dangerous for its occupants. I've done much research about this hotel and I want to warn people that it is dangerous to enter it. Educating people is a noble cause in my opinion and it might save lives. If this hotel collapses I want to be able to say that I tried to warn people that this could happen. If I wouldn't warn them despite knowing that the hotel could collapse, I would feel guilty.
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Highcliff, Nuwanda liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #4797
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

You must really have engineering background of some kind .... oh wait
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.


Highcliff liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #4798
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
People who visit this thread mostly (not all of them) love the building and will believe anything just for the building to look allright in their eyes.
Right, and you hate it (or more likely the area its in) so will look for anything to make it look bad
Like cheezy nicknames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I on the other hand am searching for evidence and facts. Trust me, most people outside of this thread laugh at North Korean propaganda, so this thread is in no way a representation of public opinion.
What else are the masses taught?

I see flickr comments that say things like "And to think this was once considered the ugliest building! Crazy!" or "Amazing picture and architecture!"
But the ones commenting negatively are on the media sites with 'Hotel of Doom' in the title, or ugliest buildings lists (even some claim Ryugyong shouldn't be on the list, and some lists have dropped it altogether)

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; April 19th, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4799
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

I wasn't talking about aesthetics, I was talking about the structure and your North Korean report/propaganda. Aesthetics are in the eyes of the beholder but the status of a structure is in facts (facts, not propaganda). And the facts speak clearly that this hotel is unsafe

Btw, AltinD, none of the things I talk about come from me. They all come from either engineers hired by the EUChoC or photos
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Kanto; April 19th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4800
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Btw, AltinD, none of the things I talk about come from me. They all come from either engineers hired by the EUChoC or photos
What engineers? What photos?
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu