daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:25 PM   #4901
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

By Michael Creasy

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:41 AM   #4902
HansCity

Likes (Received): 1819

North Korea, is best Korea!

krkseg1ops, Highcliff, Henrich37 liked this post
HansCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #4903
ThatOneGuy

Something like this, but larger, would be perfect for a computer background:

I hope one day for the Ryugyong to be lit up nicely and brighten up the skyline. At least some flood lighting at the setbacks, or something.

Picture By: Eric Testroete

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 9th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #4904
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It's funny that when another forumer posted a night satelite pic of a completely dark North Korea at night you shouted that it's a conspiracy and that nowadays North Korea has lights at night, yet here you have a recent pic showing a completely dark city

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4905
ThatOneGuy

I still see some lights. Probably half the city is asleep in that photo, which looks like it was taken in the early morning. Also, you realize that most of the lights seen from space are caused by street lights which NK has no use for?

This is a far better picture unlike that old one with high contrast from the 90s that everyone shows around. Not bad for a country with no massive infrastructure routes that need to be lit up :

And here's an obvious photoshop by evil North Korea!
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieroda...57626859147118

Highcliff, Henrich37 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 9th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4906
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

People sleep at night there, so what?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4907
ThatOneGuy

Actually, they don't sleep, they are taken to labour camps overnight and their apartments have all their lights put on to make it look like they're using the apartments. Then they're turned off for about 8 hours to make it seem as if they're sleeping! It's obviously the most plausible explanation, since it's North Korea, right?

deadhead262 liked this post
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4908
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I still see some lights. Probably half the city is asleep in that photo, which looks like it was taken in the early morning. Also, you realize that most of the lights seen from space are caused by street lights which NK has no use for?

This is a far better picture unlike that old one with high contrast from the 90s that everyone shows around. Not bad for a country with no massive infrastructure routes that need to be lit up :

And here's an obvious photoshop by evil North Korea!
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieroda...57626859147118
Yeah, surely who needs street lights, street lights are something bad, they eat kids at night, the wise Kims try to protect those kids so they let street lights be turned off. Only savage countries use street lights ........

And seriously, but the newer satelite pic is just as dark as the old one. SOuth Korea is full of light, China has a lot of light too yet the paradise of North Korea has has nearly none. And no, one night of a fully lit city won't persuade me that they're doing it each day
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4909
ThatOneGuy

It's really not so hard, you search up 'pyongyang at night' and you will see the lights in the city. It's not just one day

And yeah, they don't use streetlights, which accounts for the darkness. I'm not saying it's better that they don't, I'm just stating the obvious fact.
Even in the night picture I posted you can see the only lights come from the apartments. There aren't any streetlights on.
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4910
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

North Korea = dark country
South Korea = light country
I wonder why it is

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #4911
ThatOneGuy

Because they don't use streetlights and there are not as many buildings built, very few cars (most people get around by tram), power restrictions, etc. They are apparently building more power stations, so I've heard.

SkYsCrApEr2013 liked this post
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4912
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
It's really not so hard, you search up 'pyongyang at night' and you will see the lights in the city. It's not just one day

And yeah, they don't use streetlights, which accounts for the darkness. I'm not saying it's better that they don't, I'm just stating the obvious fact.
Even in the night picture I posted you can see the only lights come from the apartments. There aren't any streetlights on.
Don't use street lights? They have street lights, they only don't have the power to light them. Here are pics with street lights:

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnERGlgenPNQM1JG0GCq0x2_Fz56QdBtUQbA78ofyp1cBvuH-8[/IMG]
image hosted on flickr

Henrich37 liked this post
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #4913
ThatOneGuy

Maybe they built them 20 years ago and realized they had no use for them, since nobody drives at night, anyway. Or they thought could they use the electricity better. Either way, they don't use them, or cars at night, which is what accounts for most of the darkness in the photos. If they were lit, the map would look far different.

They've started developing solar power and building more power plants, if that helps. Maybe they can light up their streets for no reason and then they won't be ridiculed on how dark their country looks on the map

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 10th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #4914
Kanto
Roof height crusader

No use for street lights?! Oh my, try puting a black ppiece of cloth over your eyes and then try to walk on the street

Oh, but of course, who has use for street lights? North Koreans don't need to see where they're walking, they have echolocation like bats, or even better, psychic abilities like Kim Jong Un. I'm starting to believe that soon you'll say that the North Koreans don't have enough food because they don't need it since Kim Jong Un feeds them with psychic energy

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #4915
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Has the hotel opened yet?
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #4916
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
No use for street lights?! Oh my, try puting a black ppiece of cloth over your eyes and then try to walk on the street
Don't walk on the street, and if you really need to, bring a torch.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #4917
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

Oh, but of course, who has use for street lights? North Koreans don't need to see where they're walking, they have echolocation like bats, or even better, psychic abilities like Kim Jong Un. I'm starting to believe that soon you'll say that the North Koreans don't have enough food because they don't need it since Kim Jong Un feeds them with psychic energy
Maybe if they walked the streets at night to begin with...but they don't. You missed the entire point. They don't use street lights because they don't need them. They're better off using the power to give the apartments electricity instead of wasting half the city's power supply on lighting unused roads. So, the roads are unlit, therefore, the country looks dark on the map. Tada.
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4918
HansCity

Likes (Received): 1819

I wonder how many people will go to that hotel, and what would be the cost to go there?

Henrich37 liked this post
HansCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #4919
ThatOneGuy

NK does have an actual, albeit small, tourism industry, but the price of the hotel has way too many unknown factors to be certain. I imagine it would be higher than the average hotel there, due to the building's high value as a landmark. If, or when, Kempinski comes back, I'd imagine prices will be high.

I don't know if this was posted before

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 10th, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #4920
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Maybe if they walked the streets at night to begin with...but they don't. You missed the entire point. They don't use street lights because they don't need them. They're better off using the power to give the apartments electricity instead of wasting half the city's power supply on lighting unused roads. So, the roads are unlit, therefore, the country looks dark on the map. Tada.
Your North Korea apologism is getting quite hilarious. Of course they don't walk on the streets at night. It's dark there, they would fall on their noses if they did. If the streets were litten they would walk there, just as people in other countries do. You're beginning to sound exactly like North Korea propaganda television. I bet that soon you'll start spamming this thread with posts saying "North Korea is the best Korea"

And it was actually my point that other countries can both light their streets and their homes while North Korea can't light them both, because it just doesn't have enough power to do it. Look on that satelite photo. South Korea can light them both, China can as well, but not North Korea.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel