daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4921
mrjoekalel
Mexican/Texan/American

Likes (Received): 94

I wonder how long it will take for this to feature in a film as the bad guy's lair. If there is an Austin Powers 4, I'm sure this will be Dr. Evil's lair haha

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4922
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Being completely center on the political scale, I find it amazing how defending a normally spat-on country from unquestioned insults can constitute as being a 'supporter' of said country.
I said why the country looks dark. No highways to be lit, because that would be pointless. Their system doesn't need night-life. If suddenly they built a whole power plant solely for lighting the unused roads, for the sake of looking good on the map, nobody's opinions will change of the country, so why would they bother with it? As long as the sanctions are placed, and it's blocked off from the rest of the world, there's no room for North Korea to develop anything that can improve the living standards in its system. It acts like it wants to be isolated for attention, but truly, they want economic support from other countries so maintain the regime. It hasn't got it, so it takes as great measures as it can to defend itself from the US-led Souths. Once the money is in, that defense will lower and more food and street-lights will be produced.

I wouldn't say "North Korea is Best Korea," I would say "North Korea is Most-Spat-on-for-Not-Obeying-the-West's-Rules Korea."

This is off topic from the thread, so I'm stopping.

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 10th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #4923
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Yeah, I heard that rethoric before. Their system doesn't need night life, their system doesn't need food, their system doesn't need human rights, their system doesn't need freedom, but all is OK because their system has everything it needs and everything it doesn have it doesn't need. LOL, you changed this thread into a comedy

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4924
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Try to read what he wrote .... for a change
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #4925
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Great, there we have another comedian

Old June 10th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4926
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Err........WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! What is the point of making roads if no one uses them? More like The-Weirdest-Korea-Of-The-Two-Koreas-In-My-Lifetime-So-Far Korea

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4927
ThatOneGuy

They were built a long time ago, back when they thought they could use them, probably. Most likely 70s or 80s during the high point of the 'communist' economies. Maybe they were part of infrastructure projects started to keep the people at work, back then. Even the Ryugyong was initially started to allow for a sort of 'perestroika' policy that was scrapped after they saw that such a system would lead to the collape of their regime, as was the case with the USSR.

Highcliff, Henrich37 liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4928
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Saying they don't need street lights isn't necessarily defending or justifying. Instead it is refocusing on a cause rather than a symptom. The real question should why isn't there night life or road use? Being dark apparently is logical given the strange situation they're in. That isn't a defense of the situation but rather a more intellectual approach than the typical pass time of naivly bashing everything remotely associated with North Korea.

The collapse of the soviet empire started NK on their most recent economic slide compounded by economic sanctions. At times the USSR was NK's biggest trading partner. I have no idea if this is related to the empty road phenomenon. Point being, there is more to the situation than simply NK not being able to afford to power street lights. The need for street lights at all is likely different than many of us would imagine via casual analysis.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #4929
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

I'd probably do a trip to see this Tower if it was some where other than NK.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #4930
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Different cultures have different views on 'streetlights' and the like. I'm American and travel to Germany often. I am always amused to sit in conference rooms with no lights on because there are windows to let the light in. Even during high level meetings, they see no need to turn on the lights! Why waste electricity? In the hotels many times you need to insert your room key while you are there in a special slot to turn the room power on, and when you leave you must take it with you. In America we just leave everything on. Many hotel hallway lights usually have a motion sensor or a timed switch. Imagine trying to put your key in the door and the hall lights go off because you weren't quick enough! North Korea doesn't have an abundance of energy (I assume) so they direct their people to not be wasteful. If the leaders said "go to bed at 8pm" that's what they do. If they say do not go out at night so we can all benefit from the savings, that's what they do! If they decide to build a supertall hotel when one really isn't needed....

Also, most cities have great lighting to prevent crime. Maybe they don't need to light everything.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4931
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Saying they don't need street lights isn't necessarily defending or justifying. Instead it is refocusing on a cause rather than a symptom. The real question should why isn't there night life or road use? Being dark apparently is logical given the strange situation they're in. That isn't a defense of the situation but rather a more intellectual approach than the typical pass time of naivly bashing everything remotely associated with North Korea.

The collapse of the soviet empire started NK on their most recent economic slide compounded by economic sanctions. At times the USSR was NK's biggest trading partner. I have no idea if this is related to the empty road phenomenon. Point being, there is more to the situation than simply NK not being able to afford to power street lights. The need for street lights at all is likely different than many of us would imagine via casual analysis.
I think we have very different views on what is naive

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4932
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

... or "evidence"
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #4933
ThatOneGuy

Accepting only one side of the story while bashing all others is pretty much the definition of naive. Only the side with context and evidence should be supported, but if you are fully politically center like I am, you will also defend, to an extent, the side that is painted as evil by the winning side as well. Of course, I don't support NK's ideologies, and I think they are leading a path based on the deluded idea that humans are not individuals, but I still feel there is far more to their story that is not being told. Everything is done for a reason that is meant to lead to an overall, broad goal that is seen as justifiable. It's all a matter of the circumstances that affect the actions taking place to make that goal a reality...like the lack of international financial aid to support the NK economy which leads to further repression of individualism. There's an entire story to tell if one looks past the cover they are told to believe.

I so wish I could behold this sight with my own eyes.

carlcox, emu5088, Henrich37, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 12th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4934
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Me too, I'm fairly certain there will be a restaurant as a tourist attraction/observation area but the plans for the hotel are currently on hold. Hopefully they'll start back soon.

Thanks for the information.
I'd love to stay a few days in that hotel¡¡
I'm planning to visit China, Japan and North and South Korea, I can't wait to see myself the new skyscrapers of Asia and make some tourism¡¡¡ I can't wait¡¡

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4935
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Jano, I think what they're trying to say here is that NK simply doesn't light their streets at night because there are better ways to spend what little money they have than lighting a city at night for show. The country simply has to compromise between government financing or lighting a city to keep the country from being the laughing stock of the Westernized world. No one is being defensive here, just realistic about a budget that requires compromise.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #4936
ThatOneGuy

And also that their system doesn't require, at this time frame, such lights. Maybe they did 30 years ago and built them back when the USSR was a major factor in NK's growing economy, but now they use their money to defend themselves from countries who want to ruin them, due to their lack of money from international trade recognition (and also crushing sanctions).

Not that new, but a great picture

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/04/28...gical-prowess/
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #4937
architec101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

The banner in the picture says, the dear young pork-chop leader deserves all the credit.
architec101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4938
cguria
do-buy

Likes (Received): 448

Beautiful looking building, looks like the center of an empire. It's amazing that it's taken over 20 years to complete this and attaches a bit of history to the hotel.

ThatOneGuy liked this post
cguria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4939
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 318

It's a great looking building. When NK does open up to the world, whether it happens like China, like South Korea, or otherwise, I hope it's still standing. i.e. America hasn't bombed it to dust in the name of 'freedom'.
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4940
ThatOneGuy

And to think there are some psychopaths who would happily enjoy this building being bombed simply because of its location

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel