daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5101
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Unless they're American or South Korean, there's not much stopping them from visiting.

I don't know where this myth comes from that they don't allow foreigners to visit North Korea??
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5102
architec101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

North Korea is a country where the simple basic human needs are often denied. Just imagine that you may have to skip taking a bath for weeks if not months. Most kids are infested with louse and bed bugs and suffer unbearable itchiness everyday.
architec101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #5103
ThatOneGuy

Oh boy! Let's see what the South Korean has to say yet again about bad ol' North Korea!

Yes, let's perpetuate the stereotypes. Anybody can say anything they want about it without even experiencing what their lives are truly like because it's only North Korea right? Who cares?

b0097 liked this post
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5104
ThatOneGuy

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #5105
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Oh boy! Let's see what the South Korean has to say yet again about bad ol' North Korea!

Yes, let's perpetuate the stereotypes. Anybody can say anything they want about it without even experiencing what their lives are truly like because it's only North Korea right? Who cares?
Well, wouldn't it be nice if there was something nice I can say about NK? There simply isn't any even if I want to. Look around you. People do everything to promote their lives including building skyscrapers and talking about them here. People invent, improve and change things to advance their lives. If Ryugyong hotel does not promote lives of people, what is exciting about it?

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #5106
ThatOneGuy

They prefer adhereing to their own identity instead of conforming to worldwide corporatism and western control. That's pretty impressive. Is it a coincidence that it became the poorest as soon as Soviet Union collapsed? No, because it had economic relations back then. Now it's hit with crippling sanctions simply for wanting to defend itslef from possible invasion in the capitalist 21st century. A less negative view about it would increase not only its economy, and help its people, but also its chance of opening up. Why do you think Ryugyong was started in the 80s? It was to increase relations with other countries.
At least that is what North Korea seems to want. I don't blame them for it, either.

I don't see why people are so against this project. It would improve its tourism industry which would benefit its economy...leading possibly to a higher quality of life and less belligerence.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; October 28th, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #5107
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

wow...these commieblocks are more beautiful than ryugyong....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #5108
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
They prefer adhereing to their own identity instead of conforming to worldwide corporatism and western control. Is it a coincidence that it became the poorest as soon as Soviet Union collapsed? No, because it had economic relations back then. Now it's hit with crippling sanctions simply for wanting to defend itslef from possible invasion in the capitalist 21st century.
I don't see why people are so against this project. It would improve its tourism industry which would benefit its economy...leading possibly to a higher quality of life and less belligerence.
I am not against this project at all. What makes no sense is that they are doing it while their kids are dying from simple starvation and there seems to be no good explanation for why there is so much atrocity against its own people even if their hardships were instigated only by the foreign sanctions.

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5109
JonBlack95

Likes (Received): 657

Tbh, Pyongyang does look pretty from that last picture.
JonBlack95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM   #5110
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by architec101 View Post
North Korea is a country where the simple basic human needs are often denied. Just imagine that you may have to skip taking a bath for weeks if not months. Most kids are infested with louse and bed bugs and suffer unbearable itchiness everyday.
[citation needed]

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5111
KevinHello

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Unless they're American or South Korean, there's not much stopping them from visiting.

I don't know where this myth comes from that they don't allow foreigners to visit North Korea??
South Korean government do not allow South Koreans to visit North Korea, and US encourages people not to travel to North Korea. Also South Korean and US don't allow North Korean visitors. So it is very strange and inaccurate to claim that North Korea don't allow visitors.
KevinHello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM   #5112
KevinHello

Quote:
Well, wouldn't it be nice if there was something nice I can say about NK? There simply isn't any even if I want to. Look around you. People do everything to promote their lives including building skyscrapers and talking about them here. People invent, improve and change things to advance their lives. If Ryugyong hotel does not promote lives of people, what is exciting about it?
Well, that is what Nazis said about Jews. You cannot judge entire people based on information from Politicians and pro-government profit media which CENSORS and BLOCKs good image of North Korea. There is certain negative image of North Korea that USA government wants to show to their citizens. You should not fall for such hatred and biased information. You cannot judge people based on one-sided story, then everyone is GUILTY not knowing the complete facts. One sided information and censoring others, only breed hatred and arrogance; this was the case with Iraq War with many Iraq War Orphans that politicians and profit media stay silent.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #5113
KevinHello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
The pictures are stitched together as a mosaic of thousands of smaller images. Those images aren't all taken at the same time, so moving objects (like fishing boats) will be captured on several of them. A single boat travelling in a line will appear on the images as a series of dots. Add up all the boats in that part of the ocean, and the dots of light will look like a city.
Likely then the cities are dark with taxis driving around in South Korea and Japan. North Korea has fishing industry that compete near sea boundries with South Korea and Chinese vessels fishing near North Korea. Are these pictures being ignored to provide certains political propaganda? Just seem so humilating for certain countries go out of their ways to demean others with difference political views.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5114
KevinHello

Quote:
I am not against this project at all. What makes no sense is that they are doing it while their kids are dying from simple starvation and there seems to be no good explanation for why there is so much atrocity against its own people even if their hardships were instigated only by the foreign sanctions.

If you look around in your own country, there are poverty that you just don't hear about everyday. Poverty is poverty whether it is in your country or NoKor. It is easier to point fingers at others. Homeless starve everyday, but they are ignored, and many don't see the next day with little to no coverage by the media; embarrassing to hear about own poverty while complaining about Nokor about poverty. Homeless are your own people too. Many homeless are children. All this while spending billions of dollars on nuclear weapons, and wars in Iraq and war games against NoKorea for personal national interest. Most sadly, all this complaining about Nokor while Iraq War orphans are ignored and silenced. How much money did Nokor spend to dropping bombs on homes once these Iraq War Orphans lived with their parents? How much did your government spend in Iraq War with accusations and lies incited/endorsed/promoted by same politicians and pro-government profit media that is now complaining about NoKor? People need to have some sanity and humility. This lacks character and class as civilized nation.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #5115
ThatOneGuy

I agree with a lot of what you said but this is wildly off topic. Just ignore them.
(also try not to comment four times in a row)

Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:39 AM   #5116
erkantang

Likes (Received): 185

How u get the images when they have not got internet and they cannot leave the contry
erkantang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #5117
Imster

Likes (Received): 12

It is a shame that many people will not marvel at its unique construction. A unique building that should have had been completed sooner. I wonder if the North Koreans will build taller structures like their Southern neighbours are doing

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Imster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:54 AM   #5118
architec101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHello View Post
If you look around in your own country, there are poverty that you just don't hear about everyday. Poverty is poverty whether it is in your country or NoKor. It is easier to point fingers at others. Homeless starve everyday, but they are ignored, and many don't see the next day with little to no coverage by the media; embarrassing to hear about own poverty while complaining about Nokor about poverty. Homeless are your own people too. Many homeless are children. All this while spending billions of dollars on nuclear weapons, and wars in Iraq and war games against NoKorea for personal national interest. Most sadly, all this complaining about Nokor while Iraq War orphans are ignored and silenced. How much money did Nokor spend to dropping bombs on homes once these Iraq War Orphans lived with their parents? How much did your government spend in Iraq War with accusations and lies incited/endorsed/promoted by same politicians and pro-government profit media that is now complaining about NoKor? People need to have some sanity and humility. This lacks character and class as civilized nation.
Even NORKs have said they don't get the people supporting the NK regime. Get the facts.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:59 AM   #5119
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
They prefer adhereing to their own identity instead of conforming to worldwide corporatism and western control. That's pretty impressive. Is it a coincidence that it became the poorest as soon as Soviet Union collapsed? No, because it had economic relations back then. Now it's hit with crippling sanctions simply for wanting to defend itslef from possible invasion in the capitalist 21st century. A less negative view about it would increase not only its economy, and help its people, but also its chance of opening up. Why do you think Ryugyong was started in the 80s? It was to increase relations with other countries.
At least that is what North Korea seems to want. I don't blame them for it, either.

Why are there no cars on the roads?
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:25 AM   #5120
ThatOneGuy

People use the trams or walk around.

@architec Your comments never fail to amuse me.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel