daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #5241
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Sir siamu maharaj; while I refuse to apologize for lacking space in my heart for a brutal dictator.. I do regret stating that I wish for this structure to collapse. As a skyscraper enthusiast I can see how this is taboo. Once this brutal REGIME COLLAPSES this beautiful tower can be put to good use for the good people of a free northern Korea.

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:11 PM   #5242
Andro1209

Likes (Received): 32

I am just wondering, this thread has thousands of replies, actually very high for a building that is going no where.... what is there new left to talk about? I'm guessing the ongoing discussion is simply the recycling and rehashing of the same comments people have made many times before... political comments on North Korea, jokes about the regime, how the building is not and never will be habitable, how weird and unusual it looks.... nothing much more to say until news comes that they actually plan on doing something with it

FM 2258 liked this post
Andro1209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #5243
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Maybe it's the oxymoron of a futuristic building in a backward country ?
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #5244
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
That's funny, because all these buidings were finished in only two years:

image hosted on flickr
Are they really finished, I mean complete and liveable and moved in? Finishing the structure you are only half way there. Doing all the interiors and everything that comes with that is the other half. But my point goes beyond even that. This building will only be "mock" finished, just like the current hotel on that island in the river where all the tourist stay. I forget winch video now, it's on youtube, but some tourists snuck away from their floor, without handlers, to film the other floors of the hotel and they were empty, and some unfinished. So if the current main tourist hotel is only being partially used, how will this building ever be completely used. They'll probably fix up the top, a few in the middle, and the bottom floors and call it done. This building is too large and complex to be profitable without billions of dollars per year in tourist and international business transactions. Even "half" finished its cost of operation will still be way more expensive than what it brings in. So as long as COMPETITIVE capitalism is not implemented in the whole country this building will NEVER be done. It will be nothing more than a monument to irrational ego, and an economic drain on the city.

And I'm not saying this with glee, but sadness. This building could be a great symbol for this country, but without an economic system that can support and profit from it, this ting is giant burden not a grand symbol.
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #5245
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro1209 View Post
I am just wondering, this thread has thousands of replies, actually very high for a building that is going no where.... what is there new left to talk about? I'm guessing the ongoing discussion is simply the recycling and rehashing of the same comments people have made many times before... political comments on North Korea, jokes about the regime, how the building is not and never will be habitable, how weird and unusual it looks.... nothing much more to say until news comes that they actually plan on doing something with it
But isn't that the case in every thread, in every forum, in every country, on every planet, in every galaxy, in all universes, from all infinity and beyond? What really is new in human conversation that has not been rehashed a billion times over already?

FM 2258 liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #5246
b0097

Likes (Received): 3611

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion99 View Post
Who's gonna stay here? North Koreans? Russians? Cubans?
A friend of mine went there a few years ago, and came back quite satisfied. He said he had a great time there, and he really liked their food. He also said that most things people think about NK are not thrue and they actually have some pretty nice places there. They even have a big amusement park with lot's of roller coasters and a big watter park.
b0097 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #5247
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 5938

Does the population enjoy such amenities as well? (just asking)
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #5248
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Probably only the top elite of the party, something like 10-20% of the population if I remember correctly.

NK treats its tourists exceptionally well to hide some of the issues within the country and to try to build up their tourism industry. In fact, NK is one of the safest places you can go as a tourist because you're always supervised.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #5249
950sm07

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Are they really finished, I mean complete and liveable and moved in? Finishing the structure you are only half way there. Doing all the interiors and everything that comes with that is the other half. But my point goes beyond even that. This building will only be "mock" finished, just like the current hotel on that island in the river where all the tourist stay. I forget winch video now, it's on youtube, but some tourists snuck away from their floor, without handlers, to film the other floors of the hotel and they were empty, and some unfinished. So if the current main tourist hotel is only being partially used, how will this building ever be completely used. They'll probably fix up the top, a few in the middle, and the bottom floors and call it done. This building is too large and complex to be profitable without billions of dollars per year in tourist and international business transactions. Even "half" finished its cost of operation will still be way more expensive than what it brings in. So as long as COMPETITIVE capitalism is not implemented in the whole country this building will NEVER be done. It will be nothing more than a monument to irrational ego, and an economic drain on the city.

And I'm not saying this with glee, but sadness. This building could be a great symbol for this country, but without an economic system that can support and profit from it, this ting is giant burden not a grand symbol.
I am following this thread for a while and you summed it up perfectly!
950sm07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #5250
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Interesting Read

Life inside the surreal, cruel and sheltered North Korea

North Korea: The world's happiest place

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.

Last edited by mrfusion; February 6th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #5251
ThatOneGuy

Just more western articles, nothing we haven't heard again and again.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #5252
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Compared to North Korea you could call any other country western...
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #5253
ThatOneGuy

I refer to western as US/Canada and west Europe. Those with huge corporate backgrounds and shopping mall/fast food culture.

FM 2258, Peloso liked this post
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #5254
ThatOneGuy

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moreska...80591/sizes/l/

krkseg1ops, gusgazman liked this post
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #5255
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

Stunning building.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #5256
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2403

Quote:
I refer to western as US/Canada and west Europe. Those with huge corporate backgrounds and shopping mall/fast food culture.
You place West Europe and Romania in another civilization? When people are talking about 'western media' they often make it sound like a conspiracy theory. Unlike a certain Asian county the press in most 'western nations' is free. So if they write North Korea is horrible it's not because they are ought to do so, it's because it's true. There is no hidden agenda.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #5257
ThatOneGuy

Mainstream western media is not free. It's run by corporations with their primary interest being profit. They will sensationalize anything that they can get away with, to attract viewers. You've seen all the false articles that have been published recently. NK is also a victim to sensationalism, because the knowledge vacuum of the country makes it suseptible to rumours being published as truth, like how KJU's uncle was supposedly "eaten by dogs" which was a lie. It's naive to trust western media articles when they report on their enemy countries.

FM 2258, Peloso, hmmwv liked this post
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #5258
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Sir thatoneguy; please don't forget to include my good friends Australia, New Zealand, japan and South Korea as western cultures! As far as your harbored suspicion towards the western media goes it must admit it is not unfounded. Many media conglomerates do have hidden agendas... Be they personally motivated or perhaps even more sinisterly.. By the government. There is evidence of western media outlets and western governments engaging in smear campaigns against those they deem undesirable. However, while the instances where a situation is simply black and white with hardly any grey are few and far between... North Korea is undeniably one of the rare example of something that is simply bad.
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #5259
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Mainstream western media is not free. It's run by corporations with their primary interest being profit. They will sensationalize anything that they can get away with, to attract viewers. You've seen all the false articles that have been published recently. NK is also a victim to sensationalism, because the knowledge vacuum of the country makes it suseptible to rumours being published as truth, like how KJU's uncle was supposedly "eaten by dogs" which was a lie. It's naive to trust western media articles when they report on their enemy countries.
I don't trust our U.S. media. I visited China for a month on 2010 and realized how much stupid fear the U.S. media has placed in my head about how backwards and uncivilized China was....totally false. Plus there are just many other examples on how U.S. (Western) media is filled with bullshit....it's time for it all to collapse already.

Anyway, North Korea for what I don't know could be a really awesome place. I would love to visit North Korea some day and see if I could stay in this hotel.

Peloso liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5260
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
And whose fault is that? If nk would have allowed more free communication with outside world there would have been less space for speculation and sensation. Sure, free media live from sensational news and might be biased but they don't make information. Take china for example. It's exotic culture thousands of kilometers from us. And even if we concentrate on bad things like human rights (which is a real problem there) we know very well that it's also a powerful country with growing economy and science. We believe more in Chinese progress because they'r not hiding everything from us as nk's do. We can go there and see for ourselves. Besides you have to admit that since north koreans are so desperate to guard their visitors they must have a lot bad things to hide.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel