daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #5261
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Free media. Hmmm. Picture this: A 'western' reporter visits NK and write articles and has videos about what they directly observe. They bring it back to their 'western media' editor to read and view before publishing. The editor says "this doesn't follow our corporate viewpoint about NK and we will not publish it" and the reporter says "well, I am FREE to pack my bags and go work for someone who WILL publish the truth". Editor says " You are FREE to get out of my office"!.

Plus now the media includes internet bloggers who don't work for any 'corporate sensationalist conglomerates'. People are FREE to read and agree, or disagree ,with anything written and owners (of sites like this) are FREE to sensor things they feel will not make them stronger, better, richer, or move their agenda forward.

In NK, if a gov't official says "you can't write that, or we will send you to work in a coal mine instead of designing or building the Ryugyong Hotel" That is exactly what you do.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #5262
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

Awesome Tower!!!

There is no point arguing about what kind of a society North Korea is. Yes it might be rediculed in western media but it´s actually possible to go there as a tourist. Many (a relative term), some go.

I have read about and talked to people who have been there and their reactions seem to be summed up by a former youth communist I know who was invited for a tour and a summer camp in The Soviet Union back in the 80´s.

His thought was: If this is what they want to show off I would NOT want to see the things they want to hide.

History will probably show that North Korea is the same (worse). Let us just hope that unification does not suck all the energy out of the South Korean economy for a decade and a half as it did when West Germany welcomed their poor siblings.

Defining Japan and South Korea as part of Western Civilization simply doesn't make sense. "Western civilization" is a fluffy term but most would agree it comes from Greek philosophy and Roman administration (possibly monotheistic thinking as well).

Japan and South Korea are deeply founded in confusianism. That's something very different.

Japan and South Korea are not western. They are part of the modern world of higher education, technology, travel, English language skills and adopting ideas globally.

Calling Japan western because of baseball and McDonalds is as absurd as calling The United States East Asian because of Nintindo and sushi....

Quick poll: How many pages will this thread reach before it can be moved to "com".

FM 2258 liked this post
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #5263
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Free media. Hmmm. Picture this: A 'western' reporter visits NK and write articles and has videos about what they directly observe. They bring it back to their 'western media' editor to read and view before publishing. The editor says "this doesn't follow our corporate viewpoint about NK and we will not publish it" and the reporter says "well, I am FREE to pack my bags and go work for someone who WILL publish the truth". Editor says " You are FREE to get out of my office"!.

Plus now the media includes internet bloggers who don't work for any 'corporate sensationalist conglomerates'. People are FREE to read and agree, or disagree ,with anything written and owners (of sites like this) are FREE to sensor things they feel will not make them stronger, better, richer, or move their agenda forward.

In NK, if a gov't official says "you can't write that, or we will send you to work in a coal mine instead of designing or building the Ryugyong Hotel" That is exactly what you do.
He's still free to do all those things. What's more There are media of all range of qualities available to chose from. We are free to chose if we want to be fed by crap or find some more reliable data by ourselves (on sites like this too). Besides as I said "corporate viewpoint" will never hide the reality completely. Everybody knows china has very little in common with original communistic ideas right now. And that is clear even if you are fed with popular sensationalist mass media.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5264
KevinHello

Likes (Received): 7

Not all western media is against North Korea; there are many European nations which enjoy OPEN FREE diplomatic relation with North Korean citizens. And if you are living in USA, England, and Australia, you will likely only view "selective negative" view of North Korea. US sanction/censorship has kept citizens blind from FULL complete information about North Korea, and knowing very little, any media claim is free for all without confirmation. North Korea demanded NORMAL relation with USA for freedom of cultural, business, and educational exchange between citizens, but USA declined. This prevents and blocks FREEDOM of information for US citizens and North Korean citizens. SANCTION, form of censorship, is a great tool to keep own citizens insulated from outside world and from complete truth and REALITY. So, when you hear selective information about North Korea, you have to ask, "what about MAJORITY or rest of North Korean Citizens?", answer to this question is something that politicians don't want you to know, and obedient media will not care for to find out. DON’T Stereotype the entire population based on politicians or profit media "selective" views. North Korea and the international communities are moving closer with free information and normal relationship with cultural and economic exchange, and unfortunately, those who sanction/censor will only have politicians and profit media. Politicians and profit media are not a place of GOOD moral character, don't believe everything they teach you.
KevinHello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #5265
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1334

Edit.

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 7th, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #5266
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Off topic is good here Maybe someone will finally close this thread because there is nothing new to post there for long time already.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #5267
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Cyrus Kirkpatrick

Equario, the dogi, Henrich37 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; February 12th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #5268
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

It is an interesting design... Did they ever say what was/is supposed to be in the convex part at the top of the tower?
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #5269
ThatOneGuy

Several rotating restaurants. A few Pyongyang hotels have them.
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #5270
Scrapernab2

I wonder if the structure (concrete floorplates?) is specifically designed for rotating floors? I do not know what that would look like, as I have only seen finished rotating restaurants. Anyone have pictures, or knowledge of how this works?
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #5271
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6798

plenty of buildings seems to be neglected, no repaint, no renovation.

the fat kim must be busy skiing in his new ski resort

KOmiX liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #5272
ThatOneGuy

A lot have actually been repainted in the last couple of years. And if people noticed a large scale renovation of pyongyang they would be the first to complain about it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #5273
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

I believe the the buildings that seem unpainted are in fact supposed to look that way. Brutalist architecture looks to be a prominent style here... ie bare concrete structures. This was a very popular style for quite some time and it was extremely persistent in places like Washington D.C., Moscow and London throughout the seventies.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:43 PM   #5274
Lulamann

Likes (Received): 165

New Pics?
Lulamann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #5275
ThatOneGuy

image hosted on flickr
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #5276
ThatOneGuy

Looks like it was lit up during construction:

Swiddle, the dogi, Henrich37 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; March 29th, 2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #5277
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

termitary with many lightning bugs....

http://www.sbt.com.br/aventuraselvag...-em-Goias.html
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #5278
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

Highcliff Rules Supremely!

You must have that picture waiting forever to release it at the right moment......

Tell me it's not accidental.
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #5279
Scrapernab2

What other sky scraper designs look like they are leaning when photographed from specific angles? This one only looks straight when pictures are taken from one of the corners, or three sides.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #5280
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 303

you mean this one?.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel