daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #5481
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Forget about the reports about the structure. Orascom wanted a cell phone and internet deal, and North Korea wanted to cover the embarrassing looking concrete. As we can see today, North Korea hasn't done anything but put icing on the cake. "on hold" until they blitz us with interior glamour shots.

Now we can go back and judge for ourselves the 'quality of construction'
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=203

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Scrapernab2; May 4th, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #5482
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1156

Why not show what is actually 'being covered'? See this post:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=934
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #5483
krkseg1ops

Current state of affairs:

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #5484
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
There is no and never has been any evidence to substantiate any of the rumours regurgitated ad nauseam in this thread. At least 90% of them were likely made up by South Koreans.
this is why certain countries have no respect. any criticism and they instantly throw their hands up and blame someone else.
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #5485
Atlantropa

Likes (Received): 40

I think the main point here is not that Eurochambres is an organization so unimportant and/or untrustworthy that any possible inspection conducted on their behalf would be meaningless; I think that the main problem here is that the inspection and its findings are still at the level of a rumour, since:
  1. there's no good evidence that the inspection really took place;
  2. even if it actually did, nobody knows what the inspectors exactly found (and also: how, with what degree of accuracy, etc.).
The "rule" should be: the one who wants to make a claim (such as, in this case, "Ryugong is flawed/beyond repair") has to give other people some good evidence of what he's maintaining. I'm afraid rumours are not.

Last edited by Atlantropa; May 5th, 2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: orthography (minor edit)
Atlantropa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #5486
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantropa View Post
I think the main point here is not that Eurochambres is an organization so unimportant and/or untrustworthy that any possible inspection conducted on their behalf would be meaningless; I think that the main problem here is that the inspection and its findings are still at the level of a rumour, since:
  1. there's no good evidence that the inspection really took place;
  2. even if it actually did, nobody knows what the inspectors exactly found (and also: how, with what degree of accuracy, etc.).
The "rule" should be: the one who wants to make a claim (such as, in this case, "Ryugong is flawed/beyond repair") has to give other people some good evidence of what he's maintaining. I'm afraid rumours are not.
They aren't on the level of rumor, I provided over 20 trustworthy portals that listed the information, including books and top class news portals.

As to evidence, there never will be evidence unless each of us personally inspects the hotel and conducts measurements - remember, text is not evidence, text is a claim

And the reports I posted do indeed list what exactly the inspectors found - they found, that the hotel is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #5487
pelajarfiqih

Likes (Received): 1

why this project on hold??
pelajarfiqih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #5488
TopoGigio

Likes (Received): 250

And how much is left until finishing?
TopoGigio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #5489
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3647

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelajarfiqih View Post
why this project on hold??
Basically put: Nobody seem to see any need to put loads of money into finishing it. It's hard for foreign companies to do any business in North Korea, and the tower needs loads of work to be able to operate fully as intended. It's cheaper to meet Pyongyang's demand for hotels by building entirely new ones, rather than trying to finish this. With the cladding on, it does the job as a landmark well enough anyway.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #5490
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
And the reports I posted do indeed list what exactly the inspectors found - they found, that the hotel is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair
You don't know exactly what the inspector found unless you have the actual report, no one can claim "is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair" are the actual words from those inspectors.

The inspector at the time could have said something like "some elevator shaft are crooked because it used poor quality concrete and those shaft is beyond repair, ...", and maybe heaps of other point.

A journalist (possibly because they hate NK, or just incompetent, or probably lost in translation), has turn those words into "is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair", and your 20 or so reliable sources quote from there as that is the only reference they could found.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.

_BPS_ liked this post
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #5491
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
You don't know exactly what the inspector found unless you have the actual report, no one can claim "is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair" are the actual words from those inspectors.

The inspector at the time could have said something like "some elevator shaft are crooked because it used poor quality concrete and those shaft is beyond repair, ...", and maybe heaps of other point.

A journalist (possibly because they hate NK, or just incompetent, or probably lost in translation), has turn those words into "is built out of poor quality concrete, that its elevator shafts are crooked and that it is beyond repair", and your 20 or so reliable sources quote from there as that is the only reference they could found.
I trust the reporters who have written these reports and therefore I trust that they have translated everything properly. This means that I trust that what they reported is what the original source said and if the original source said that the building uses poor quality concrete, I believe that is what they meant.

Again I will stress that this is text and is trerefore solely in the realm of trust or distrust. Even if I would have the very original of what was produced by the inspectors hired by the EU Chamber of Commerce it would still be only text, text which one either trusts or distrusts.

I listed only the text I have found, I have not used any speculations. On the other hand your notions that "some elevator shaft are crooked because it used poor quality concrete and those shaft is beyond repair, ..." is pure speculation, it is nowhere written. If you don't trust the people who reported the findings of the inspection in the 20 links I posted, that is your choice and you have a right to do this. You must of course do what you consider right, however keep in mind that your whole point stands or falls on whether you trust the sources or not, just as does my point and the points of everybody else on this forum. Nobody has evidence, so it all comes down to text vs text, trustworthyness vs untrustworthyness - this is the nature of written claims

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #5492
KÝbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

I think it's scary that you'll go to such extreme lengths to defend information that you cannot possibly know the origin of (and screw The European Chamber of Commerce- I've never heard of it and I actually follow European politics and business on a daily basis).

Odds are that the thing is structurally on the point of collapsing. And other odds are that it's not. None of us know. You don't either.

Finishing this building or not finishing this building is a catch 22:

It seems as if they wasted lots by having almost finished it and not completing it but on the other hand a country only managing to (so I've been told) feed it's people by threatening nuclear war begging for handouts might actually act rationally if it chooses NOT to spend their far and few apart foreign currency IOU's on finishing a building that no one outside SSC give a toss about - given the situation of the country.

Could you imagine any reason why they don't finish it apart from bad concrete?

Kanto liked this post
KÝbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #5493
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KÝbenhavnK View Post

I think it's scary that you'll go to such extreme lengths to defend information that you cannot possibly know the origin of (and screw The European Chamber of Commerce- I've never heard of it and I actually follow European politics and business on a daily basis).

Odds are that the thing is structurally on the point of collapsing. And other odds are that it's not. None of us know. You don't either.

Finishing this building or not finishing this building is a catch 22:

It seems as if they wasted lots by having almost finished it and not completing it but on the other hand a country only managing to (so I've been told) feed it's people by threatening nuclear war begging for handouts might actually act rationally if it chooses NOT to spend their far and few apart foreign currency IOU's on finishing a building that no one outside SSC give a toss about - given the situation of the country.

Could you imagine any reason why they don't finish it apart from bad concrete?
I completely agree with you. One thing I would like to note is that I only defend the trustworthyness of the EU Chamber of Commerce report, I don't claim that the building will certainly collapse. I only say that a trustworhty source has said that the building might be faulty. It might be faulty, and it might be not, there are still many blank spots in today's understanding of the laws of physics in engineering structures. Then there is also the possibility that the report isn't speaking the truth, as is the possibility with all claims we read. Nothing is certain. I deeply apologize if I have not worded my opinions the proper way. I never meant to say anything with certainty, I only intended to demonstrate that the possibility that the hotel might be faulty is all to real and should be taken into consideration, but it does remain only a possibility in a sea of uncertainty and trustworthyness, while being a good indicator in my opinion, is definitely nothing certain, so I completely agree with you
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #5494
krkseg1ops

ThatOneGuy, mafd12, Swiddle, b0097 liked this post
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #5495
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I listed only the text I have found, I have not used any speculations. On the other hand your notions that "some elevator shaft are crooked because it used poor quality concrete and those shaft is beyond repair, ..." is pure speculation, it is nowhere written.
It is not even a speculation, I make it up to illustrate a point. It is possible, that the only "text" available, that you repeatedly quoted, could have originated from somewhere that say something completely different.

I also don't believe, a qualified inspector/group would summarised a building inspection of a 100+ floor building, into those 20 or so words.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #5496
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Pyongyang has really been getting some colour in the skyline recently.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #5497
Rei Murasame

Likes (Received): 92

This building is proposed and not yet U/C? Strange.
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #5498
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

This is a propaganda symbol and nothing more. Someday, when North Korea implodes, this thing will see the demolition crew...

Kanto, KOmiX liked this post
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #5499
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
This is a propaganda symbol and nothing more. Someday, when North Korea implodes, this thing will see the demolition crew...
There are two types of people on this thread: those that understand this building is an exercise in propaganda, and those that think propaganda can be disregarded in favor of aesthetic appreciation.

If you showed me this building and I didn't know where it was, I'd think it was an impressive structure. It doesn't look bad at all.

But once you know that it exists in a country where a brutal dictatorship reigns and people are oppressed, how does that change your view of the building's purpose?

If you saw a bunch of buildings that looked impressive and then found out they were actually a concentration camp, would you still be able to have much appreciation for them? I think most people with even a semblance of decency would say that no amount of architectural merit would make up for their purpose. You'd have to go out of your way to evade what is really going on and maintain an unconscionable detachment between what a building looks like and what it is intended to convey.

This building promotes a cruel lie. It is designed to recruit, in many cases unwittingly, useful idiots. But once you know that, how can your sense of decency and self-respect allow you to continue having any appreciation for it? At some point you have to admit that no matter how impressive it may look, it represents something that is truly horrible.

Kanto, AnOldBlackMarble, egramsb liked this post

Last edited by Nuwanda; May 13th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #5500
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

Quote:
Originally Posted by KÝbenhavnK View Post

[...] and screw The European Chamber of Commerce- I've never heard of it and I actually follow European politics and business on a daily basis. [...]
You can't be serious. The EU Chamber of Commerce is the biggest and most important institution for promoting and enabling international business between EU companies and the rest of the world. They represent and support over 20 million companies in intl. trade and have a network of 1,700 offices around the world.

Obviously you never worked abroad. When I worked in Korea and China I regularily had conatact with them and other chambers of commerce. They organize a lot of networking events, give you free import/export consultation, have connections to top government officials and make many business deals even possible.

back to topic:
I think the building will stay very iconic, even long after the collapse of the current government.
Everything about this building is very unique.

Also i find it fascinating that North Koreans managed to build this gigantic building with quite simple tools and a lack of know-how and resources, 23 years before South Korea had something even close to that.
And the building topped out after just 5 years. That's quite impressive actually, even though its still empty.

Kanto liked this post
humptydumpty7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel