daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:20 AM   #5661
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

same old shots with no cars, no business activity, state-organised propaganda rallies.

Where are the people, laughing, going about their business, earning a living, children playing in the streets and parks, riding their bikes, and the normal neighborhood scenes you see in every other part of the world, rich or poor? Everywhere you see it, except North Korea, all we get are images like this which are nothing but state-sponsored propaganda.

Potemkin villages

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Nuwanda está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #5662
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5765

Tue. Looks so eerie and dystopian. It would be much nicer if it was full of people and commercial activity. But I do have to say, architecturally wise, these buildings are a little more interesting than what you see in Seoul. Seoul literally has no soul.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:47 AM   #5663
Nuwanda

Well, when you're free, you have the luxury of liking or not liking a city based on its merits. The "pretty" buildings of Pyongyang would
quickly lose their charm if you had to live in that hell hole. Even if Seoul was aesthetically horrible, you'd take that over the secret police,
concentration camps and destroyed lives of North Korea any old day.

By the way, I googled "downtown seoul" and this was the very first image that came up. Give me this normal street scene in a free city
over the Potemkin village lies of a dictatorship.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2017, 02:33 AM   #5664
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
ah, the infamous Ryomyong propaganda buildings, monuments to the stupidity and cruelty of the dictatorship.

"The buildings themselves look good, but the elevators often don’t work. A bigger problem is that tap water doesn’t run at all on the high-rise floors."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...m-jong-un-fake

"An anonymous North Korean defector told Radio Free Asia in March that many of North Korea’s showcase towers have electric and water problems, especially on the higher floors. As with the 105-story Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea, the upper floors go abandoned due to lack of basic services, and are soon occupied by homeless children. The same will happen to Ryomyong Street’s towers, predicted the defector."

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05...-construction/
total joke ain't it?...................and Seoul or Pyongyang? Geez, let me think about it.

Nuwanda liked this post
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #5665
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector 7 View Post
Speechless, I am speechless! This is so awesome!
Just 'Like' it next time, Ok? No need to re-post the entire feed!
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #5666
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12444

This ridiculous building will disappear soon with city.
wait and see.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Nuwanda, Munwon liked this post
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #5667
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5765

Quote:
Well, when you're free, you have the luxury of liking or not liking a city based on its merits. The "pretty" buildings of Pyongyang would
quickly lose their charm if you had to live in that hell hole. Even if Seoul was aesthetically horrible, you'd take that over the secret police,

By the way, I googled "downtown seoul" and this was the very first image that came up. Give me this normal street scene in a free city
Of course, I think I made that very clear in my post. Then I made my other point that at least Pyongyang has a somewhat attractive architectural style to its buildings, which the south does not. And to be perfectly honest, I would never live in either of those cities. One for political reasons the other for esthetics. I'm an artist so for me they are both equally important. What's the point of being free if you live like a homeless man in a back alley. And what's the point of being rich if you live in a prison. For life to be worth it you have to have both physical freedom, but also psychological freedom in the variety of choice and psychological well being that comes from art and esthetics.
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:40 AM   #5668
Nuwanda

In both cases, it's better to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
What's the point of being free if you live like a homeless man in a back alley. And what's the point of being rich if you live in a prison.
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:52 AM   #5669
Nuwanda

I don't think Pyongyang has to disappear for the wounds to be healed. But the little fat man in charge of North Korea is probably crazy enough to go down in a ball of flames and take millions with him.

When Korea is finally reunified the cost will be staggering, just like it was (and still is) for Germany after the Iron Curtain collapsed, except North Korea will be far more horrific as the camps, graves and torture chambers are opened up.

But the Koreans are an industrious, intelligent people and one day they will be able to claim the entire peninsula as one home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
This ridiculous building will disappear soon with city. wait and see.

inno4321 liked this post
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #5670
Atlantropa

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
I don't think Pyongyang has to disappear for the wounds to be healed. But the little fat man in charge of North Korea is probably crazy enough to go down in a ball of flames and take millions with him.

When Korea is finally reunified the cost will be staggering, just like it was (and still is) for Germany after the Iron Curtain collapsed, except North Korea will be far more horrific as the camps, graves and torture chambers are opened up.

But the Koreans are an industrious, intelligent people and one day they will be able to claim the entire peninsula as one home.
Everybody please refrain from ruining this thread with your personal opinions on political, ethical, etc. issues. In case you didn't notice, this is not your blog.

spidey7312, humptydumpty7 liked this post
Atlantropa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #5671
KoreaPolnocna

Likes (Received): 18

Signs of ongoing construction activity have been detected at the iconic Ryugyong hotel building in Pyongyang, photos taken throughout September show. The activity may be linked to an unconfirmed rumor that there are plans to open parts of the building for commercial purposes.

https://www.nknews.org/2017/10/more-...yugyong-hotel/

Swiddle liked this post
KoreaPolnocna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #5672
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Those cranes have been there for years. But the wall finally coming down and the lights on near the top show something is definitely going on.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #5673
Scion

Likes (Received): 4301

CTBUH is also reporting on the podium works for this thing

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...-US/view.aspx#!
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #5674
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 861

Too bad that the hotel is cladded. The concrete structure without cladding looked exactly like the Ministry of Truth from 1984. Only the big inscription "Ignorance is strength, war is peace, freedom is slavery" was missing

KOmiX liked this post
Ondro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #5675
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 630

Quote:

When I was talking here about politics (rather successfully), protecting DPRK, all my articles was deleted... So where is dictatorship?
It´s needles for me to talk with anyone about DPRK here, because when someone´s else arguments will overtake mine, the post will stay here without problem, if my arguments will overtake someone´s else, all our talk will be deleted by moderators

Last edited by Speechless.♥; October 29th, 2017 at 01:43 AM.
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #5676
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1155

This picture is only from July but shows some works being done at night:

IMG_1317 by kennyum, on Flickr

Another picture showing some many trucks parked outside the hotel:

And the third one with the entrance/podium and some manual labourers working on pedestrian paths leading to the hotel:

hercre, Fabouninou, Wile E. Coyote liked this post
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #5677
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3189

folks this is what we call a vanity project
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #5678
Nuwanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
folks this is what we call a vanity project
Then the vanity is all in vain.

It's a shell, and nothing more than a monument to the destroyed lives of the North Korean dictatorship. It's a metaphor for a city built like a Potemkin village; bright and glossy on the outside, empty and cruel on the inside.

KOmiX liked this post

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel