daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #681
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Again, I see the design as inspired by the movie Logans Run. A 'utopian' society closed off to the outside world, with futuristic pyramid shaped buildings. Any coincidence that the movie came out in 1976 (in the USA) and this building started construction in 1987? Which would mean the design ideas were probably started approximately 1979-1980?

I can't post attachments or pictures here (for unknown reasons) so could someone put a side by side of the picture in the link above with the Ryugyong Hotel?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #682
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

In a way, this building is sort of a prototype for Burj Dubai. Three wings, getting slimmer towards the top..
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #683
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Again... This thread isn't about the people of North Korea.
It is certainly not although I must admit Maing Seuk from Wonsan is a nice sympathetic guy and Joo Dai Sim from Sinuju is not.

But the building's design is closely related to the country's ideology: It looks like a rocket ready to be fired to the sky (for warfare or just for people's progress?) and resembles a lot of Communist monuments and statues.
So it's not exactly only the reason that this building is accidentally in North Korea, why these discussions evolve.
Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #684
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofgold View Post
It's a stunning building. The kind of innovative (and quite possibly insane) design you could only get in a state run society. Turns out totalitarianism does have some things going for it!
Look, I don't want to get into a political discussion, but ... no. Just, no. Your statement is wrong on so many levels and a smack in the face of all those innocent victims of totalitarian dictators.

Futuristic buildings get built ALL the time in free and semi-free countries. A building like the Ryugyong Hotel could have easily been built in say, Las Vegas, and maybe even China.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #685
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Look, I don't want to get into a political discussion, but ... no. Just, no. Your statement is wrong on so many levels and a smack in the face of all those innocent victims of totalitarian dictators.

Futuristic buildings get built ALL the time in free and semi-free countries. A building like the Ryugyong Hotel could have easily been built in say, Las Vegas, and maybe even China.
It was built in vegas:
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #686
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

The building is progressing great, and its iconic style gets more and more appreciated as it approaches completion.
Sadly, the usual trolls from THAT "highly democratic" country keep being a pain in the ***.
Since no one pays them attention, they'll do theatrics with each other, on and on.
Zorg, you seem to be the only serious mod here. My hopes rest on you.
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #687
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Again, I see the design as inspired by the movie Logans Run. A 'utopian' society closed off to the outside world, with futuristic pyramid shaped buildings. Any coincidence that the movie came out in 1976 (in the USA) and this building started construction in 1987? Which would mean the design ideas were probably started approximately 1979-1980?

I can't post attachments or pictures here (for unknown reasons) so could someone put a side by side of the picture in the link above with the Ryugyong Hotel?
use http://photobucket.com
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #688
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Hmmm for the people who say this thing is move fast, your crazy because its taking over 15 years to get it this far.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #689
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

That's either sarcasm or a comment of an 8 year old kid
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #690
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

I don't get why people always say it looks like a rocket, have you guys actually seen what a rocket looks like?

Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #691
zander0501

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuze View Post
I don't get why people always say it looks like a rocket, have you guys actually seen what a rocket looks like?

It looks like the Bottom of a Rocket, like a small or very short little rocket...

blah-blah-blah.

When the RyugYong-Tower looks like a Rocket for another Peopl, then, what is the Burj Dubai, it was a Rocket, too.

blah-blah-blah.

I like the Tower, it was gigantic, huge, stunning, i love this blue Cladding and it´s so nice to see them completed.
zander0501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #692
da_funkmaster
User Registered

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander0501 View Post
I like the Tower, it was gigantic, huge, stunning, i love this blue Cladding and it´s so nice to see them completed.
I totally agree on that, however, the fact that it has been on hold for so long and that they even bothered removing the structure from pictures (as I read in some linked article here) and that even the people of the city refused to talk about this project (which I as well read in an article here), makes this wohle project just fishy - in my opinion.
If they would have managed to finish it as planned - we would respect them for this achivement even today.
da_funkmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #693
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

It resembles a stereotypical 1950's science fiction rocket.

I'll give a few examples.

Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #694
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

can't believe the cladding is unbelievably good

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #695
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

i hope they clad the podium that way it would be great!
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #696
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

It's coming on and that is very surprising in my opinion. I don't really like it, but it's certainly an unusual and impressive

It's also interesting how communist architectural tastes have evolved from grandiose neoclassicism in Stalin's day through run-of-the-mill "international style" of the later Soviet Union to this rather flashy and kitsch taste that North Korea seems to have adopted.

I am doubtful though that the Ryugyong Hotel will actually be finished in the true sense of the term. What's more likely I think is that the cladding is merely cosmetic and for show, to give the appearance of normality. Perhaps you could call it a "Potemkin hotel".

The unfinished Ryugyong was by all accounts a source of embarassment to the North Korean authorities and was actually photoshopped out of photos of Pyongyang. They had taken great pride in the project and already put on stamps etc before it was completed, so to have it standing there abandoned for years was obviously a painful reminder of failure.

"Potemkin villages" are of course nothing new to communism. In Stalin's time Gulag camps were prettified, the barbed wire removed, watch towers packed away etc for visits by dignitaries (even the US Vice President at one point in the 1940s) who went away with the impression of model conditions.

North Korea itself built a whole fake small town in the 1950s near the border with South Korea which looked from the south as if it was a pleasant and prosperous place when in reality no-one really lived there and the buildings were just shells.

Even the city of Pyongyang seems to be a show put on to disguise the true nature of the country with its (relatively) modern infrastructure and very impressive monuments. The very rare pictures of the rest of the country show a different reality that appears very poor and backward.

In a place like North Korea where you cannot explore by yourself it's quite easy to get away with such frauds because it won't be as though anyone will be able to just wander up to the Ryugyong Hotel and discover that it's empty inside. You'll see its shiny exterior from a distance and the guide will tell you about it and that will be that, one will just have to take their word for it.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM   #697
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

From flickr, photo credit: wordthecat. Not sure how long ago this was taken. This building turned out really nicely, I think. IMO it looks far better in its context than many other isolated towers.

image hosted on flickr
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM   #698
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10112

looks excellent. worth the wait
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM   #699
ZimasterX

Likes (Received): 95

It looks like its the only building in the whole city with a glassy facade.
ZimasterX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM   #700
Dredzik
obcięty

Likes (Received): 52

I think it's awful, only huge, nothing more...

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel