daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #721
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Hah, there's no reason to be suspicious about this building. It's just a building; and like most huge structures built by a totalitarian regime, it's a monument; a symbol. That's all it is, and nothing more. They aren't storing missiles inside it. It's not housing a secret North Korean army.

I'm also, frankly, amazed to see anyone think this is a Photoshop. Have you seen a Photoshop before? It's painfully obvious; even when it's well done. This cladding is REAL. And it's not hard to believe that it's being done, because it's not being financed by the North Korean government. A foreign company is undertaking this whole endeavor.

I disagree completely with the politics of North Korea and think what has happened to the North Korean people is atrocious, but that isn't cause to think this building is some huge conspiracy theory.

HOWEVER, since we do not in fact have any evidence of the quality of the materials being used, it is possible that this is extremely cheap cladding. BUT, lack of evidence is not evidence. So there's also no cause for us to go off hypothesizing about the government's intentions for this building. We have no idea right now. They could be using high quality glass, or low quality. The government may intend to occupy the entire building, or it may not. The structure may be severely weakened, or it may not. We have no idea because we have no means of obtaining first-hand evidence. So putting out wild ideas is totally pointless and groundless.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #722
Coinpeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warroad, MN
Posts: 326
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Hah, there's no reason to be suspicious about this building. It's just a building; and like most huge structures built by a totalitarian regime, it's a monument; a symbol. That's all it is, and nothing more. They aren't storing missiles inside it. It's not housing a secret North Korean army.

I'm also, frankly, amazed to see anyone think this is a Photoshop. Have you seen a Photoshop before? It's painfully obvious; even when it's well done. This cladding is REAL. And it's not hard to believe that it's being done, because it's not being financed by the North Korean government. A foreign company is undertaking this whole endeavor.

I disagree completely with the politics of North Korea and think what has happened to the North Korean people is atrocious, but that isn't cause to think this building is some huge conspiracy theory.

HOWEVER, since we do not in fact have any evidence of the quality of the materials being used, it is possible that this is extremely cheap cladding. BUT, lack of evidence is not evidence. So there's also no cause for us to go off hypothesizing about the government's intentions for this building. We have no idea right now. They could be using high quality glass, or low quality. The government may intend to occupy the entire building, or it may not. The structure may be severely weakened, or it may not. We have no idea because we have no means of obtaining first-hand evidence. So putting out wild ideas is totally pointless and groundless.
huh? conspiracy theory?
__________________
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde5Y47LgTM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzcrRXHJTw
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODJ4_aMML0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #723
Duopolis
Hong Kong lover
 
Duopolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 574
Likes (Received): 1

IMO the building's simply atrocious. The shape is a miss, so is the cladding unfortunately. It looks cheap and pretentious.
__________________
<>
Duopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #724
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinpeace View Post
huh? conspiracy theory?
Did you read my post at all?

Have you been reading the nonsense posted on this thread about how this building's renovation is all fake? That's what I'm talking about.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #725
Coinpeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warroad, MN
Posts: 326
Likes (Received): 13

Oh I get it its just the few pages ive read havnt mentioned anything about that.. thats all
__________________
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xde5Y47LgTM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzcrRXHJTw
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ODJ4_aMML0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #726
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Ah, well, it's probably best that you haven't read it then!
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #727
spider74
ireland
 
spider74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: quilty
Posts: 360
Likes (Received): 11

.

Although it looks quite nice I think I prefer it when it
was empty and unfinished.had kind of a lost world
look.
spider74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #728
DFDalton
Banished from SSP
 
DFDalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 487
Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Hah, there's no reason to be suspicious about this building. It's just a building; and like most huge structures built by a totalitarian regime, it's a monument; a symbol. That's all it is, and nothing more. They aren't storing missiles inside it. It's not housing a secret North Korean army.
What I'm not entirely convinced of is that this building is being finished as a fully-functional, completely occupied hotel as it was originally intended. The work is being done, from what I understand, by an Egyptian telecom company whose sole interest is having a tall perch for their telecom equipment.

Given the secretive and, frankly, very bizarre nature of the impoverished North Korean regime it is reasonable to suspect that the Dear Leader simply wants this building covered up and "finished" to the point where it isn't a constant embarrassment. There is still no need for hundreds of hotel rooms and the regime doesn't have $1 billion plus to finish the building's interior. There is also no evidence that the concrete superstructure was being properly maintained during the 20-yr construction hiatus or that is was substantially worked on and repaired before the cladding began. As part of the contract with the Egyptian contractor, the NK government would have extracted the condition that the building be clad so it isn't an eyesore. But what beyond that will truly be done? Has anyone photographed any evidence that the hotel is being fitted out for occupation? Not that I've seen.

Is this important? Well, I guess not really. But if the building does end up as an unoccupied tall tower used as an antenna perch, should it really be called a "hotel"? Should the number of floors be listed if they remain unfinished and unused with no intention to ever complete them? Should it be placed in the list of world's tallest buildings or among the world's tallest towers?

Time will tell I guess. Someone prove me wrong and show me an army of plumbers, electricians and carpenters fitting out the 105 floors of hotel rooms. Show me evidence of contracts for the dozens of elevators and massive amounts of plumbing and lighting fixtures that would be required. Show me that the cladding is actually high-quality glass that makes the building safe for habitation and not some blue spray painted residential storm window glass slapped on for show.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #729
Hightech Pro
Registered User
 
Hightech Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Göttingen, Germany
Posts: 271
Likes (Received): 21

It looks like another row of the round shaped floors on top have been finished. Soon the green scaffolding on top will be gone. Thats one real shine scraper. Much too shiny for that area... It would possibly look even better with neighbouring scrapers...
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #730
erPiadda
iamcapohorn...
 
erPiadda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 162
Likes (Received): 1

this skyscraper is out of the world
__________________
Look at my timelapse video!!
http://www.youtube.com/iamcapohorn
erPiadda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #731
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño
 
chuck23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: La Ciudad de Zamboanga, Filipinas
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 3833

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenand View Post
This is the latest picture, sepember 21. Looks like th top of the left wing is now finished.

image hosted on flickr


Flickr, hanming_huang

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2986819...7622431735578/
I like this tower alot. I want to see its interiors.. i wonder how it looks like.
__________________
City of Zamboanga
'Asia's Latin City'
"The MOST IMPROVED Highly Urbanized City (HUC) in the Philippines"
~ National Competitiveness Council - Philippines (08.16.2017)


> INVEST NOW! <
chuck23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #732
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
What I'm not entirely convinced of is that this building is being finished as a fully-functional, completely occupied hotel as it was originally intended. The work is being done, from what I understand, by an Egyptian telecom company whose sole interest is having a tall perch for their telecom equipment.

Given the secretive and, frankly, very bizarre nature of the impoverished North Korean regime it is reasonable to suspect that the Dear Leader simply wants this building covered up and "finished" to the point where it isn't a constant embarrassment. There is still no need for hundreds of hotel rooms and the regime doesn't have $1 billion plus to finish the building's interior. There is also no evidence that the concrete superstructure was being properly maintained during the 20-yr construction hiatus or that is was substantially worked on and repaired before the cladding began. As part of the contract with the Egyptian contractor, the NK government would have extracted the condition that the building be clad so it isn't an eyesore. But what beyond that will truly be done? Has anyone photographed any evidence that the hotel is being fitted out for occupation? Not that I've seen.

Is this important? Well, I guess not really. But if the building does end up as an unoccupied tall tower used as an antenna perch, should it really be called a "hotel"? Should the number of floors be listed if they remain unfinished and unused with no intention to ever complete them? Should it be placed in the list of world's tallest buildings or among the world's tallest towers?

Time will tell I guess. Someone prove me wrong and show me an army of plumbers, electricians and carpenters fitting out the 105 floors of hotel rooms. Show me evidence of contracts for the dozens of elevators and massive amounts of plumbing and lighting fixtures that would be required. Show me that the cladding is actually high-quality glass that makes the building safe for habitation and not some blue spray painted residential storm window glass slapped on for show.
I agree with you, but again, lack of evidence is not evidence. We can speculate all we want, but until we know first-hand what's going on, our speculations are not truths. For all we know, they ARE completing the interior.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #733
vincenand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 166

image hosted on flickr


Ray Cunningham, flickr
vincenand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #734
cjav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rotterdam, New Haven
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 117

Should be white marble.... then they could call it the ministry of peace or the ministry of plenty...
cjav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #735
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,538
Likes (Received): 1079

Who the **** is taking these pictures?
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #736
D.D.
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 39

I wonder the same... I bet once that tower ( if ever completed) is going to be slick looking...
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #737
cjav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rotterdam, New Haven
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Who the **** is taking these pictures?
Tourists?
cjav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #738
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston/Holderness
Posts: 403
Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Who the **** is taking these pictures?
hahaha, who knows, and who cares?
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #739
xfury
RnD
 
xfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rostov-na-Donu
Posts: 45,251
Likes (Received): 30850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Who the **** is taking these pictures?
Maybe, Kim Chen Ir?
xfury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #740
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan
 
Soroban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vitória
Posts: 467
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Who the **** is taking these pictures?
http://www.flickr.com/people/zaruka/
__________________
Em Urd eu acredito!
http://abaco-ocaba.blogspot.com
http://soroban.blogspot.com
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium