daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1501
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Jesus... you have to ALWAYS ask me for surces around here . Wikipedia, which I hate.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1502
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Damn, I hoped you would say you work for Orascom...
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1503
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10388

Im actually impressed. It looks rather futuristic yet elegant. Kind of imposing too, like the Ministry of Truth in 1984 or something.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1504
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 43

From http://wizardofoss.web-log.nl/

NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1505
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2750

What's the height of that telecommunications tower? Does it have a Wikipedia page?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1506
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

^ 150m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang_TV_Tower
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1507
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Thankies.

It's a pretty one. I like it. Simple but elegant.
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1508
mexmatt

Likes (Received): 3000

Leaving aside the question of whether it will stand or not--or the quality of its concrete, I can't get past the HIDEOUS design. It's "unique", all right. Gotta be one of the ugliest buildings on the planet right now, and of course the fact that it's so ostentatiously useless, plus the fact that it's a trophy for the most hateful regime in the most backward country on Earth, only contributes more to its ugliness.

The comparison to Orwell's Ministry of Truth is spot-on, and if North Korea continues with its current politics for much longer, this white elephant might end up being used for just that purpose. As others have pointed out, tourism to North Korea doesn't really exist and the immense majority of the country's citizens/slaves don't earn enough money to even dream of staying in a luxury hotel anyway. So what better way of putting the building to use?
mexmatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1509
droneriot
Urban Hermit

This building is very useful in getting trolls banned.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1510
Lau

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSado View Post
There is no crane in this photo.

How they dismantled it?
Lau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1511
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Yes there is. You just don't see it because it's blurry, but if you look closely you'll see that the top is sharp and pointy, which by design it is not, which means that there is the crane on top giving it that effect.

(Hope that makes sense.)
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:08 AM   #1512
WizardOfOss

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quall View Post
Actually it's a bit taller than that, the observation platform is at 150 meters. I can't find any confirmation about it, but the tower as a whole should be 220 meters tall. Besides, it's on top of a hill, which does make it look even taller.

About the Ryuggyong, there indeed still is a crane on top, this one was taken near the Monument to the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War:

I guess they just finish the outside of the building, since there certainly isn't any need for another huge hotel in Pyongyang. They already have the Yanggakdo Hotel (where that panoramic picture was taken from) with a 1000 rooms, and the Koryo Hotel (the brown "twin towers" in that picture) with over 500 rooms, and a couple of smaller hotels. That should easily be enough for a country visited by about 1,500 western tourist a year, and maybe 10,000 Chinese.

For those of you who don't just want to look at the pictures but can't read Dutch, I've also got an English version at WiredNewYork.

Last edited by WizardOfOss; July 31st, 2010 at 02:25 AM.
WizardOfOss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:24 AM   #1513
shenzhixian

Likes (Received): 7

It's so ugly I can't believe it's on ssc.
shenzhixian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM   #1514
skyscraper03

Likes (Received): 44

A crazy nation like N.Korea doesn't deserve such a hotel tower... Oops, I meant a palace for the dear leader.
Read this below.

North Korea's failed World Cup footballers undergo public mauling

Footballers subjected to six-hour excoriation on stage for 'betraying' North Korea and Kim Jong-il's son and heir
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...public-mauling

England's failed footballers should count themselves lucky that their ignominious World Cup exit was met with little more than a public mauling by the media.

Their counterparts from North Korea, who lost all three of their group games, have been subjected to a six-hour excoriation for "betraying" the communist nation's ideological struggle, according to reports.

There are even fears for the safety of the team coach, Kim Jung-hun, who was accused of betraying the son and heir of the regime's "dear leader," Kim Jong-il.

Early this month the players were summoned to an auditorium at the working people's culture palace in Pyongyang, forced onstage and subjected to a six-hour barrage of criticism for their poor performances in South Africa, according to the US-based Radio Free Asia.

Only Jung Tae-se and An Yong-hak were spared a dressing down as they flew directly to Japan, their country of birth and where they play club football, according to an unnamed Chinese businessman the station cites as its source.

The "grand debate" was reportedly witnessed by 400 athletes and sports students, and the country's sports minister. Ri Dong-kyu, a sports commentator for the North's state-run Korean Central TV, led the reprimands, pointing out the shortcomings of each player, South Korean media said.

In true Stalinist style, the players were then "invited" to mount verbal attacks on their coach, Jung-hun.

The coach was reportedly accused of betraying the leader's son, Kim Jong-un, who is expected to take over from his ailing father as leader of the world's only communist dynasty.

Radio Free Asia quoted the source as saying he had heard that Kim Jung-hun had been sent to work on a building site and there were fears for his safety.

North Korea watchers said the regime had been hoping to attribute the team's success to Kim Jong-un as it attempts to build support among military and workers' party elites for a transfer of power.

After the Red Mosquitoes, who reached the World Cup quarterfinals in England in 1966, narrowly lost their opening match to Brazil, the regime decided to televise the second group game against Portugal in what is believed to be the country's first live sports broadcast.

But the few North Koreans with access to a TV had to watch the team suffer a 7-0 thrashing, a defeat some reports attributed to orders by Kim Jong-il to play a more attacking style.

The reported episode highlights the potential perils of representing a dictatorship at professional sport.

But according to South Korean media, the players got off lightly.

A South Korean intelligence source told the Chosun Ilbo that in the past, North Korean athletes and coaches who let the nation down were sent to prison camps.

"Considering the high hopes North Koreans had for the World Cup, the regime could have done worse things to the team than just reprimand them for their ideological shortcomings," the source told the newspaper.

Last edited by skyscraper03; July 31st, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
skyscraper03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1515
WizardOfOss

Could be true. Could be total BS. We'll never know. I'm just not so sure how reliable a radio station funded by the US is about the situation in the DPRK. North-Korea isn't the only country in the world that knows a thing or two about propaganda.

I heard from someone in the country during the first match they celebrated it like it was a victory (and yes, they did get to see the Brazilian goals, not just their own). But unfortunately he returned to Beijing just before the second match, so I don't know how the response to the other games was.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1516
SNAEK
(I).(♥).(KSA)

Likes (Received): 978

amazing pics

thanks guys

=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Economic City
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Financial District
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
My Favorite Cities
Riyadh Vancouver Dubai Jeddah Tokyo Toronto Bogotá Seoul

SNAEK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1517
AAG
cowojakarta

Likes (Received): 7

Amazing!!!
AAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1518
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfOss View Post
Could be true. Could be total BS. We'll never know. I'm just not so sure how reliable a radio station funded by the US is about the situation in the DPRK. North-Korea isn't the only country in the world that knows a thing or two about propaganda.
Indeed. I remember that the standard theory of what happened to the 1966 team was that they were all sent to the camps - this, of course, wasn't at all true. They just went back to their ordinary jobs and teams (I don't think North Korea has a proper 'professional' football league.)
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1519
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1186

haha yeah, as if Guardian had insiders in DPRK's football association. I can only laugh at such articles. post pictures or don't post anything, really.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1520
WizardOfOss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
Indeed. I remember that the standard theory of what happened to the 1966 team was that they were all sent to the camps - this, of course, wasn't at all true. They just went back to their ordinary jobs and teams (I don't think North Korea has a proper 'professional' football league.)
I don't know exactly what happened after that tournament, but I do know that even 44 years later they are still very proud at beating Italy in the first round. There's even a documentary about this match, The game of their lives. It's made by some English people (produced by the founder of Koryo Tours), but with full co-operation from the DPRK government.

Nowadays football is one of the most popular sports in the DPRK (they even have the world's largest football stadium, the Rungrado May Day Stadium, with a capacity of 150,000), but from what I heard from our (English) tour guide the level of competition isn't that great.

Last edited by WizardOfOss; July 31st, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel