daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2010, 11:46 PM   #1521
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

so, in north korea, are the citizens there told that this is the tallest thing in the world? i mean the citizens dont have access to internet or the outside world in general, so they wouldnt actually know of any other buildings, right?
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1522
WizardOfOss

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiGgLz01 View Post
so, in north korea, are the citizens there told that this is the tallest thing in the world? i mean the citizens dont have access to internet or the outside world in general, so they wouldnt actually know of any other buildings, right?
At least our guides knew (they told us right away, didn't even try to make up a story) this was supposed to be the tallest hotel (not the tallest building) in the world, but that it already has been surpassed. I don't know if the average Korean knows, we didn't talk with them about the tower.
WizardOfOss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM   #1523
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

I read an interesting book about North Korea's propaganda 'the cleanest race'. In it the author was at great pains to point out that the North Korean regime was very careful not to say provable or obvious lies.
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1524
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
I read an interesting book about North Korea's propaganda 'the cleanest race'. In it the author was at great pains to point out that the North Korean regime was very careful not to say provable or obvious lies.
read that one too, excelent book for anyone who is intrested in the country.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1525
Rory Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfOss View Post
At least our guides knew (they told us right away, didn't even try to make up a story) this was supposed to be the tallest hotel (not the tallest building) in the world, but that it already has been surpassed. I don't know if the average Korean knows, we didn't talk with them about the tower.
They seem pretty proud of it either way http://www.openbuildings.com/buildin...file-1690.html check out the video of the opening ceremony
Rory Stott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1526
WizardOfOss

They do indeed love fireworks

I visited the country in April, when they celebrated the birthday of the Great Leader. The night before they also had a huge fireworks display at the bridges across the Taedong river. And not just for a few minutes, no, it went on for over four hours...

@mediadave, sounds like a very interesting book, I'll see if I can order it somewhere.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM   #1527
haris88
ΙΧΘΥΣ

I used to believe it was one of the ugliest buildings in the world. But now I think it is beautiful...

I've heard it is not very safe, is that true?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #1528
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

That information is currently unavailable. My advice is not to listen to hearsay and propaganda, and instead wait until concrete information on the building's safety is made public.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1529
WizardOfOss

I hope you have a lot of patience...
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1530
MayorCallaghan
Dat Glass

Likes (Received): 1

North Korea has finally managed to build something nice?

Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1531
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

More like an outside company made a deal with them to install a BEAUTIFUL cover over what NK built...in exchange for future business.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1532
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Current business, in fact - Orascom runs a mobile phone network in North Korea, and it seems that taking on the Ryugyong was a quid pro quo for getting the licence.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #1533
Viperfreak2
BANNED

I agree. It is current business, but if the info in this thread is true, only a few thousand elite NK's have modern telecommunication service. They are gambling that millions will have it in the future, and they will collect those revenues to pay for the Ryugyong frosting project. I just heard UAE will block Blackberry service because it threatens security! I see NK doing the same when it sees open communication between its' citizens.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Ameri...-Canada-silent
Was that off topic? Sorry if it was...
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1534
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Orascom said that it had reached 125,661 subscribers in March this year.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1535
Viperfreak2
BANNED

"The network achieved a profit of US$5.8 million in the quarter, before accounting for interest payments, taxes, depreciation and amortization. Orascom did not disclose whether it made a net profit or a loss for the period."

Interesting! I wonder what they put into the Ryugyong in construction costs during the same period?
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1536
No1_Saint

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper03 View Post
A crazy nation like N.Korea doesn't deserve such a hotel tower... Oops, I meant a palace for the dear leader.
Read this below.

North Korea's failed World Cup footballers undergo public mauling

Footballers subjected to six-hour excoriation on stage for 'betraying' North Korea and Kim Jong-il's son and heir
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...public-mauling

England's failed footballers should count themselves lucky that their ignominious World Cup exit was met with little more than a public mauling by the media.

Their counterparts from North Korea, who lost all three of their group games, have been subjected to a six-hour excoriation for "betraying" the communist nation's ideological struggle, according to reports.

There are even fears for the safety of the team coach, Kim Jung-hun, who was accused of betraying the son and heir of the regime's "dear leader," Kim Jong-il.

Early this month the players were summoned to an auditorium at the working people's culture palace in Pyongyang, forced onstage and subjected to a six-hour barrage of criticism for their poor performances in South Africa, according to the US-based Radio Free Asia.

Only Jung Tae-se and An Yong-hak were spared a dressing down as they flew directly to Japan, their country of birth and where they play club football, according to an unnamed Chinese businessman the station cites as its source.

The "grand debate" was reportedly witnessed by 400 athletes and sports students, and the country's sports minister. Ri Dong-kyu, a sports commentator for the North's state-run Korean Central TV, led the reprimands, pointing out the shortcomings of each player, South Korean media said.

In true Stalinist style, the players were then "invited" to mount verbal attacks on their coach, Jung-hun.

The coach was reportedly accused of betraying the leader's son, Kim Jong-un, who is expected to take over from his ailing father as leader of the world's only communist dynasty.

Radio Free Asia quoted the source as saying he had heard that Kim Jung-hun had been sent to work on a building site and there were fears for his safety.

North Korea watchers said the regime had been hoping to attribute the team's success to Kim Jong-un as it attempts to build support among military and workers' party elites for a transfer of power.

After the Red Mosquitoes, who reached the World Cup quarterfinals in England in 1966, narrowly lost their opening match to Brazil, the regime decided to televise the second group game against Portugal in what is believed to be the country's first live sports broadcast.

But the few North Koreans with access to a TV had to watch the team suffer a 7-0 thrashing, a defeat some reports attributed to orders by Kim Jong-il to play a more attacking style.

The reported episode highlights the potential perils of representing a dictatorship at professional sport.

But according to South Korean media, the players got off lightly.

A South Korean intelligence source told the Chosun Ilbo that in the past, North Korean athletes and coaches who let the nation down were sent to prison camps.

"Considering the high hopes North Koreans had for the World Cup, the regime could have done worse things to the team than just reprimand them for their ideological shortcomings," the source told the newspaper.
There are far worst places in the World...like India...where if their Cricket team doesn't perform well they burn effigies of the players and send death threats. Or New Zealand where if the All Blacks don't win a World Cup (which is all the time) the country goes into deep mourning for at least a year and almost publically executes the players. The vitriol that is thrown at the team, coaching staff and NZRU is intensely venemous and mind blowing.
No1_Saint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #1537
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Oh really? Sorry but i dont see that happening in NZ.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1538
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Sarkozy summoned the French football team to give them a telling off. Nobody cared.

I seriously hope I see this tower in person one day.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1539
vincenand

Likes (Received): 139

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_dogg/
vincenand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #1540
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

I hope the hotel does open sometime in 2012 (first, second, third, or fourth quarters). I'm sick of all those doubtcasters who say that it will never open at all.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel