daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1781
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

what ahuge building
it's just soo big lol
like a huge piramid or something
not really a fan of the design though... but anyway its impressive

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1782
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
I myself work in buildingindustry. For the building as a total I guess this is one of the safest buildings. The structure is shaped like a pyramid and as everbody knows, it's the most stable structure you can make. I think a plane can hit it (maybe bad example in this case ;-) as beining DPRK biggest friends with USA) without collapsing the building (but USA can learn from it ;-) ).

.....but bad concrete can destroy itself (for example due to big temperaturegradients) So time will learn......
You don't sound like a native English speaker. It almost sounds like the official DPKR website.

Could you clarify your background and post more details about your visits to North Korea?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1783
stevesteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
You don't sound like a native English speaker. It almost sounds like the official DPKR website.

Could you clarify your background and post more details about your visits to North Korea?
Haha, sorry, I have to disappoint you. Have nothing to do with any kind of DPRK-activity. One of the reasons to visit the DPRK were the Arirang massgames (DPRK was just a part of my total trip) and I knew about this forum so made some pictures for you...and myself ofcourse. But please tell me if you do disagree what I wrote about the structural strenght of this building. We can better discuss about this then the endless off topic crap which doesn't belong on this forum.

My background: I am a structural engineer, so it's always fun to read this forum.

Last edited by stevesteve; September 20th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
stevesteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1784
london_marcus

Likes (Received): 38

was there not some serious issue with this building regarding the quality of the concrete?
still looks alright though....large on the skyline
london_marcus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1785
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Looking good all cladded up there.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1786
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

NK will announce its new leader this month, I wonder of the 'finished' Ryugyong Hotel will play a part in this announcement.
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1787
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
Haha, sorry, I have to disappoint you. Have nothing to do with any kind of DPRK-activity. One of the reasons to visit the DPRK were the Arirang massgames (DPRK was just a part of my total trip) and I knew about this forum so made some pictures for you...and myself ofcourse. But please tell me if you do disagree what I wrote about the structural strenght of this building. We can better discuss about this then the endless off topic crap which doesn't belong on this forum.

My background: I am a structural engineer, so it's always fun to read this forum.
I agree that a pyramid is probably THE strongest design, however this does not mean that poor construction methods are permitted. Also the Ryugyong is not a true pyramid!

A structural engineer who can't spell and runs words together? Understandable if English isn't native to you, but you can probably see that talking about American buildings that collapsed is a sensitive subject? AND you say it with smileys. I am not amused.

Just something about your post that doesn't make sense.
According to the official DPRK website:
October Trip 2010
Worker's Party of Korea Anniversary and Mass Gymnastics ARIRANG

Regular trip October 2010
(All Passports except USA)

From 7th to 16th October 2010

(Deadline for pre-inscription: 1st September 2010)

( Closed )

Download itinerary (PDF) Click Here
Download itinerary (HTML) Click Here

(For USA Passports)

From 7th to 14th October 2010

( Closed )

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1788
stevesteve

response in red

Quote:
I agree that a pyramid is probably THE strongest design, however this does not mean that poor construction methods are permitted. Also the Ryugyong is not a true pyramid! (Let's make it a triangle then, if you can live with that)

A structural engineer who can't spell (you can't have it all) and runs words together? Understandable if English isn't native to you, but you can probably see that talking about American buildings that collapsed is a sensitive subject? AND you say it with smileys. I am not amused.

Just something about your post that doesn't make sense (massgames take place from august till september, if the date is what makes no sense to you).
According to the official DPRK website:
October Trip 2010
Worker's Party of Korea Anniversary and Mass Gymnastics ARIRANG

(All Passports except USA)

From 7th to 16th October 2010

( Closed )

(For USA Passports)

From 7th to 14th October 2010

( Closed )

Last edited by stevesteve; September 21st, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1789
ExWNY'er

Likes (Received): 190

Now that it is cladded in glass, this is a very interesting building. My concern is the structural integrity. I thought that they had problems with the concrete and that is what held it up? Also, this was exposed for years. That cannot be good. Something tells me they might not have done the proper tests prior to proceeding. Would you stay in this hotel?
ExWNY'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1790
Viperfreak2
BANNED

The interesting thing for me is not just the exposure over the years, it is the shape too. Think about the pyramid like design and how water would flow during a rain or snow storm! Every open window would catch water and I assume it would flow to the elevator shafts and then down. I know bridges are designed to handle water flow, but how could anyone have known that this structure would sit unprotected for so many years? Rusting rebar does not stop once started, and it will eventually expand and weaken the concrete structure. I have asked for early construction photos before to see if there is a robust steel skeleton under the poor concrete work, but no answers.
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM   #1791
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Yes, you are correct: this makes no sense:

(massgames take place from august till september, if the date is what makes no sense to you).

If the DPKR says the games are in October, and you say they run from August until September....
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1792
stevesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWNY'er View Post
Now that it is cladded in glass, this is a very interesting building. My concern is the structural integrity. I thought that they had problems with the concrete and that is what held it up? Also, this was exposed for years. That cannot be good. Something tells me they might not have done the proper tests prior to proceeding. Would you stay in this hotel?
I really don't have doubts by the structural integrity of the structure as a whole, but as I said before, on a local scale there is damage and it can take a long time to repair it all. But when done correctly, the quality wil be fine. The ultimate strenght of the concrete will probably be less, compared to the strenght of concrete in more developed countries, but the lack of strenght can be compensated by increasing the dimensions of walls, beams etc. And as far I can see it, the dimensions of the structural elements are more then enough. Almost every building has plenty of ways to bring loads to its foundation, so if somewhere a part is failing, another path will be found to distribute the forces through the building. Especially monolithe structures like this building, have plenty of alternatives to distribute forces, so a lot of problems have to occure to get this building in real bad weather.

So to answer your question: I would stay in this hotel...

But wasn't the main problem of the delay the lack of money (correct me if I am wrong). Now Egypt (or an Egyptian company) is financing the building. Just for info, also an Egyptian company is setting up a mobile network for the DPRK. (We already did see some people with mobile phones, our guides included. Anyway, tourist are still not allowed to bring in mobile phones.)
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1793
stevesteve

Quote:
Yes, you are correct: this makes no sense:

(massgames take place from august till september, if the date is what makes no sense to you).

If the DPKR says the games are in October, and you say they run from August until September....

yes yes smartboy, september must be october, you win, oke...lets stay on topic

Last edited by stevesteve; September 21st, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1794
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

There's a game at every foreign delegation visit.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1795
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 178

mmm, looks interesting sure different from normal skyscrapers. but diversity is not bad, this thread is about buildings not politics. if this hotels would be built in USA or China for e.g. there would be 100+ wankers saying how amazing it is and that's the best hotel in the world but because it is in NK 100+ wankers will bash it.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1796
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

Exactly
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #1797
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Until all of humanity can come together and agree on all topics, politics will remain in almost every discusion. You can try to stay on topic, but that ends up being kinda boring. "The building looks nice!" "The building looks ugly" "It's so tall!" "They take so much time to build it" "Wow, it's going up fast" "They just put that steel on top of that steel!" "Concrete pour today!" and "Cladding looks good" or "Don't like the glass"

and that's about it.

I think North Korea understands, finally, that change is needed. I applaud them for bringing in Orascom to beautify the outside of this tower, which leads to cell phones being more available to the people. I completely understand the desire to keep the rest of our crazy world out of their business. I would love to live in a country that did things "our own way" but that must be the will of the people, not one man. One paranoid man.

Yes, that was on topic. The structure called Ryugyong IS the DPKR. They go together, just like the Abraj Al-bait IS Mecca and the 1WTC IS NYC. Politics included.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1798
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 318

The insinuation that the user stevesteve is some kind of North Korean agent is very funny. LOL.
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1799
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

All politics aside, I sincerely hope one day to visit Pyongyang and stay in this hotel. It's so unusual yet beautiful, and it has a very 80s vibe to it.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1800
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofgold View Post
The insinuation that the user stevesteve is some kind of North Korean agent is very funny. LOL.
This is the internet. You never really know who you are talking to.

How's that for paranoia!

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel