daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #1841
sx1
Registered User
 
sx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 100
Likes (Received): 5

Wow that really is stunning. Great work, everyone involved!
sx1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #1842
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,429
Likes (Received): 10289

Looks about done. I wonder how a hotel of this size IN North Korea can get full. How many tourists or diplomats can North Korea really have?
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1843
sergey220
Registered User
 
sergey220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Samara
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 38

great photo,thanks
sergey220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1844
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 37,360
Likes (Received): 3666

Meticulous!!!
__________________
You have the right to remain silent, everything you say will be misquoted and used against you in the forum

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve Üto budete rekli mo×e i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1845
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hong Kong SAR / 香港特區
Posts: 3,389
Likes (Received): 336

wow, this one turned out really well! i remember the hotel without the glass, looked horrible. but know it has that "blows you away"- effect!
__________________
Sapientia et Virtus 明德格物
Industrial Organization, MSc
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1846
OldWorldResident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 194
Likes (Received): 9

yes it looks really good. But those buildings in front of it reminds us of how the tower looks like beneath its fake-ade.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1847
Betelgeuze
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 163
Likes (Received): 16

It's not the Ryugyong Hotel, but an interesting picture showing the contruction of a Pyongyang building: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Cool to see they also have renders infront of the contruction site to show what the building will look like when completed.

and this NK building reminds me a lot of the Ryongyong Hotel too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvrk/[email protected]/
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1848
stevesteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey220 View Post
great photo,thanks
for those who missed it: on page 87 I posted some pics of this building during my visit to the DPRK......
stevesteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1849
sergey220
Registered User
 
sergey220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Samara
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
for those who missed it: on page 87 I posted some pics of this building during my visit to the DPRK......
great pics too
sergey220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1850
JP_Neptune
Glory to Chairman Meow!
 
JP_Neptune's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mute City
Posts: 1,354
Likes (Received): 3

The cladding sure got some incredible progress - but once again, I wonder if it will suffer the same fate as Pyongyang's other hotels; does anyone know if they're actually making the entire building habitable or if this is just a fašade work?
__________________
You'll never find a friend more reliable than Gazprom...

"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."
JP_Neptune no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1851
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,957
Likes (Received): 6863

It would be really hard to believe that they would just go as far as the facade. The ONLY reason why this could possibly happen is that the structure is not safe enough. However, seeing that the cladding was done and perhaps some structural improvements were done, I guess this is no longer the case. Or at least part of the building sould be fit for use.

Even if it won't become a hotel for tourists or visitors it may become offices or other facility for government or pretty much anyting they may decide. I just don't believe they would build it and then leave it empty. They must definitely want to use the building for some purpose.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1852
JP_Neptune
Glory to Chairman Meow!
 
JP_Neptune's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mute City
Posts: 1,354
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Even if it won't become a hotel for tourists or visitors it may become offices or other facility for government or pretty much anyting they may decide. I just don't believe they would build it and then leave it empty. They must definitely want to use the building for some purpose.
My guess is that it may very well become an empty shell or at least only partially occupied [at a very small rate], there are several enormous buildings and structures in Pyongyang and in the rest of the country which see very little and almost no usage.
__________________
You'll never find a friend more reliable than Gazprom...

"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."
JP_Neptune no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1853
stevesteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
It would be really hard to believe that they would just go as far as the facade. The ONLY reason why this could possibly happen is that the structure is not safe enough. However, seeing that the cladding was done and perhaps some structural improvements were done, I guess this is no longer the case. Or at least part of the building sould be fit for use.

Even if it won't become a hotel for tourists or visitors it may become offices or other facility for government or pretty much anyting they may decide. I just don't believe they would build it and then leave it empty. They must definitely want to use the building for some purpose.
They don't have problems with using buildings for only 20% or so. Our hotel, as I wrote before", is the most used hotel in Pyongyang and even with the knowledge we were there in "high season" it wasn't occupied for more then 10%. So I guess this will answer your question. But hey we can't look into the future. The Egyptian investor probably hopes the country will once be more open. Maybe already after the next change of leader, who knows. They already invest in mobilephone network as well. So things are changing, not fast, but as long there is some kind of progression, the day will come, the DPRK will open itself and maybe even reunify with the southern part. The people in the DPRK start realizing things can be better then they are at the moment. Only nobody will speak it out loud. So there should be a collective which is big enough which cannot easily be harmed by the dear leader and his army and wake everybody up.

This hotel will stand for another 100 year, so in the future they probably gonna need it....
stevesteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1854
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,957
Likes (Received): 6863

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
They don't have problems with using buildings for only 20% or so. Our hotel, as I wrote before", is the most used hotel in Pyongyang and even with the knowledge we were there in "high season" it wasn't occupied for more then 10%. So I guess this will answer your question. But hey we can't look into the future. The Egyptian investor probably hopes the country will once be more open. Maybe already after the next change of leader, who knows. They already invest in mobilephone network as well. So things are changing, not fast, but as long there is some kind of progression, the day will come, the DPRK will open itself and maybe even reunify with the southern part. The people in the DPRK start realizing things can be better then they are at the moment. Only nobody will speak it out loud. So there should be a collective which is big enough which cannot easily be harmed by the dear leader and his army and wake everybody up.

This hotel will stand for another 100 year, so in the future they probably gonna need it....
This is because in your case it was a hotel for foreign tourists which means that no locals except of the staff would be allowed there. This was the case in, say, USSR where most hotels for foreigners stood empty. It doesn't mean, however, that they can't use it for some other purpose such as ministry (or even a few of them) or other government bodies as long as the building is safe enough. Many hotels even in other countries often stand occupied by less than 50%, however that doesn't mean that everything that is built there is deemed to be empty.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1855
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Of course they don't care about occupying only 20% of it, or even less. They own the tower and they don't care about profit and loss; it's a communist government. They get their money by taxing the people.

Now before you say that I'm trying to start a political argument, let me tell you that I'm not. I merely stating a fact: governments and in particular communist ones do not care about profit and loss. Kim Jong Il just wants this building as a symbol; that's why he built it in the first place, everyone knows that.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1856
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,957
Likes (Received): 6863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Of course they don't care about occupying only 20% of it, or even less. They own the tower and they don't care about profit and loss; it's a communist government. They get their money by taxing the people.

Now before you say that I'm trying to start a political argument, let me tell you that I'm not. I merely stating a fact: governments and in particular communist ones do not care about profit and loss. Kim Jong Il just wants this building as a symbol; that's why he built it in the first place, everyone knows that.
So you are saying that wanting to have this building as a symbol is the reason why they wouldn't want to put this building into a more practical use at the same time? Even when they have an actual invetor? I think that just doesn't make sense even if it's a communist dictatorship. There were many buildings that carried a symbolic role in the USSR and other communist regimes, however that didn't mean they were not used for something else.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1857
Iluminat
Redsigert User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,460
Likes (Received): 4543

There is a difference between let's say a huge hotel in Moscow like let's say Hotel Ukraina with significant number of visitors even during Stalinism and a 3 times bigger hotel in Pyongyang with very limited number of visitors, not to mention they already have some big hotels that stay half-empty.
They might use it for other purposes but it doesn't seem like they need a lot of office or commercial space in North Korea, it would be also hard to keep even basic things working like the elevators working in North Korean conditions, they didn't have problems with electricity in USSR.

Last edited by Iluminat; September 26th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1858
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

Pansori, you misunderstand me. Of course they'll try to use this building for other things, but they won't care if it isn't fully occupied. It doesn't matter to them either way. It'll still be a symbol (its main purpose) whether it's fully occupied or not, and that's really all they care about - its status as a symbol.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1859
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,957
Likes (Received): 6863

Krattle, I have never said if they care if the building is fully occupied or used efficiently. I was merely suggesting that they probably won't leave it at that i.e. just cladding. They probably will put it into some use which means they will work on the interior and communications such as electricity, water etc. I don't really care whether the actual occupancy rate is going to be 100, 50 or 20 per cent.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1860
Scrapernab2
Registered User
 
Scrapernab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 896
Likes (Received): 96

I predict that very soon after the cladding is finished, we will see some photos of the Ryugyong completely lit.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu