daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1901
.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodoretae View Post
I'm sorry, here's the actual image for those of you too lazy to click the url

image hosted on flickr

Credit to paul_ark @ flickr.
I think I counted 4 cars in the whole picture... but yeah the city itself is pretty charming and that building looks great with the back mountains..
.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1902
theodoretae

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Why does everyone always remark on the lack of smog? Of course there's no smog because the people are too poor to afford cars! And of course the city is "neat and clean" because it's not a busy city. There's relatively little business there so why would it ever get dirty? What's far more impressive than a bland city where nothing ever happens and that has been planned out to the centimeter by the government, is a lived-in, bustling, productive metropolis that still somehow manages to remain clean. E.g. Tokyo.
This does not detract from the fact that it's still a "neat and clean" city. It also doesn't contribute to the horrifying amounts of pollution spewed out by cities around the globe, including Tokyo.

Last time I checked, the people of Pyongyang seemed to be going along fine without cars. And your argument for "busy-ness" is merely a subjective opinion - cities don't necessarily need to be busy to have urban character.

@ mediadave:
I wouldn't think that the blue roofs have an underlying agenda of any sort. AltinD notes that red is the color of good luck in China (Korea, Japan, and other East Asian countries don't view the color as such). As GoSatta mentions, the use of blue is probably only a matter of taste.

I wonder if the pyramid shape of the Ryugyong Hotel had any inspiration from the Transamerica Pyramid in SF. The design is pretty striking on both parts. I didn't know this before, but apparently pyramids have long been a part of the architectural culture of Korea for quite some time.

These are some pictures of the Tomb of Tangun near Pyongyang. It was reconstructed by the North Korean government sometime in the 1990's.

Credit to san-shin.org

Last edited by theodoretae; October 4th, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
theodoretae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #1903
theodoretae

And these pictures from Jian, China, near the North Korean border. I believe this particular pyramid-like structure is the tomb of a Koguryo general.

image hosted on flickr

Credit to GraemeNicol @ flickr.

image hosted on flickr

Credit to auws @ flickr.

Perhaps the design of the Ryugyong Hotel takes some design guidelines from these early structures? Maybe it's just conjecture...
theodoretae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #1904
seaphorm
returning videotapes

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzetti View Post
Beauty is morally neutral. Nuclear explosions are breathtakingly beautiful, for example.
if you're going to get philosophical, then all beauty is subjective. you can not say it's morally neutral, because beauty is a value based on the opinions of the viewer every bit as much as the morality is.

one person looks at an object, and sees the elegance of it's angles and the strength of it's construction... it is indeed an excellent looking building within the context of late 70s/early 80s design. if only because of it's sheer size. it's somewhat dated compared to what is going on elsewhere... but then it went into a time freeze for 20 years...

another person sees a giant state funded monstrosity which represents everything that is wrong with the nation which is building it. this is also true. the building is a propaganda exercise, and whether people have died in this particular construction or not is irrelevant. people do die in north korea because of the grandiose plans of the nations dear leader, and this building is a symbol of both the leadership, and it's unsustainable ambition.

in a thread about a controversial building, a little debate about the context of the building's construction should be encouraged. one of the most important elements of this industry, is the economic sustainability of projects. take a wander through the pages of this forum and see all the failed projects. the 15 odd year hiatus of this project is apt proof of this. context is important when you're talking major construction works. without discussions on context, we're all just masturbating over pretty pictures.

either way... i can't wait to see this building finished. it's an awesome achievement for a bankrupt nation to assemble something like this. it's right up there with romania's parliament as impressive monuments to state direction of labour - pushing human endurance to the extreme.

Last edited by seaphorm; October 4th, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
seaphorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1905
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52187

image hosted on flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1906

Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
This tower is not amazing.

It's built upon the blood and suffering of the North Korean people.

The thought of skyscrapers should induce in us a feeling of human triumph, of the majesty of the mind and ability.

This building has been created at the expense of human lives. North Korea is a hellhole. People starve in North Korea. They are slaves to the regime. And this building is not a sign of progress but a cheap and nasty monument to propaganda.

I despise it and all that it stands for.

lol weak minded brainwashed sheep
009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1907
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I see the recent permanent bans handed out by z0rg had zero impact on the level of stupidity in this thread.
Permabans have little impact if you can be back in less than 5 minutes...posts that are off topic should just be deleted with no warning or explanation. Simple.

The Ryugyong hotel is beautiful. I admire the strong will to finish such a unique and impressive structure, regardless of cost!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1908
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

North Korea is Best Korea

Problem Western world?
crazyalex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1909
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Your opinion is not accepted.

Mine? This hotel will be the best supertall in the DPRK! Ever!

The new 4 star general will be pleased at this monumental symbol of construction expertise (of the Egyptian company Orascom) and declare the money and effort was well worth it!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1910
HON NGOC VIEN DONG
Đại Việt quốc dān (大越國民)

Pyongyang look beutiful and uncluttered.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1911
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

pyongyang really could use that to their advantage making a really nice city(not saying it isn't already) with really good transport and stuff for future people to come to pyongyang
ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #1912
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by .D. View Post
I think I counted 4 cars in the whole picture... but yeah the city itself is pretty charming and that building looks great with the back mountains..
Heh, since when a few cars are problem? I thought the opposite is a huge problem of our wonderful world
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1913
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2749

Heh, I didn't even notice the McDonalds in that drawing until now.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #1914
Heusdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
This tower is not amazing.

It's built upon the blood and suffering of the North Korean people.

The thought of skyscrapers should induce in us a feeling of human triumph, of the majesty of the mind and ability.

This building has been created at the expense of human lives. North Korea is a hellhole. People starve in North Korea. They are slaves to the regime. And this building is not a sign of progress but a cheap and nasty monument to propaganda.

I despise it and all that it stands for.
Uh Uh.

And what about Dubai my friend? Underpaied Indian, Pakistan and Chinese workers built the whole city of Dubai, at least DPRK does built it with it's own labour force, and no human being were killed in building this (not as far as I know), which is quite different then Dubai were hundreds of workers were killed in accidents.
Heusdens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1915
yangkhm

Likes (Received): 172

Koh Ker Pyramid – Cambodia’s Forgotten Capital

Romantic Music
yangkhm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #1916
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1186

Last picture kinda resembles legendary Hanging Gardens in Babylon
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1917
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

The tower is for new Kim Jong-il as salute to the new dictator in waiting.

see > http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/10/10/3034230.htm
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1918
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2463

Yes, like they did for kim jong-ill and the subway, they'll use this as a testament to jong-un's leadership.
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1919
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
North Korea is Best Korea

Problem Western world?
I'm proudly from the west and I challenge you to go to north Korea and bad mouth the leader then go to south Korea and bad mouth the President then return to me and report on their different reactions. And them tell me who's the best.
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1920
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

There's lots of foreign press in Pyongyang right now so hopefully we'll get lots of fresh pictures soon so we can actually talk about this building.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel