daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1941
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

looks like its coming along nicely
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1942
Lulamann

Likes (Received): 161

Now the Ryugyong Hotel is a landmark in Pyong Yang as well as the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
The building combined with the city. I liked.
Lulamann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1943
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
They need to build some talls around it, so it doesn't look so lonely.
They (the DRPK, or North Korea) blew all their money on that tower, and then some. In fact, it was so expensive that they didn't even finish it!

The glass plating on it now is just covering up the unfinished mess inside.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1944
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

And most of us would LOVE to get a peek inside!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1945
Piloting

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like it's about to collapse . . .
Piloting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #1946
seaphorm
returning videotapes

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
you probably wont see much other than plain concrete... i imagine they will only finish parts of it for show.
seaphorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1947
nb2
I'm looking you

Likes (Received): 198

I think it looks like rocket.
nb2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1948
Planner Shenzhen

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Isn't it strange that we had really close up pictures of the base about 30 pages back, but now nothing.
It is not strange. Getting the photos of the base is difficult because you have to be really close to take photos of the base. And you can't just wander on over to the site even if you wanted to. You are in a tour group and you go where the tour group goes. You don't go off alone. Before construction restarted, I believe no tour groups even went anywhere close to the Ryugyong, to make even photos from far off difficult.
Planner Shenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1949
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Oct 8

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1950
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Which one? They should put all three of them, to symbolize the past, present, and future!
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #1951
vitorocks

Its looking like a lovely building with the cladding!
vitorocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1952
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Weird- I thought that the crane on the top of the structure was a part of the design, I not anymore.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1953
Scrapernab2

Needs a light at the top. Like the Luxor hotel in Vegas.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1954
Mark Rejhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
The glass plating on it now is just covering up the unfinished mess inside.
It may be a mess inside for now, but there are several pieces of evidence building will be cleaned up inside, and become inhabited, at least eventually in a long-range plan that probably involves opening just a few floors at a time, until the whole building is in use, once economy and infrastructure allows.
____

1. There are retrofitting certain floors have obviously become (future) MECHANICAL FLOORS! Look at all recent photos; several bands of windows have been converted to vents. Two of the mechanical floors are 2-storey. Observe that the mechanical floors are spaced logically, at approximately 25 storey intervals. Observe that the highest mechanical floor is 1-storey instead of 2-storey, which would presumably be because the top part is narrow and doesn't need as much mechanicals as the wide base.

2. They actually bothered to install thousands of openable windows. Thousands of expensive, openable windows, designed for resident use! Useless if the building was going to be just show. See this photo of thousands of openable window panels (zoom in the biggest original, you notice about a dozen windows are open) and see this closeup photo of OPENED window

3. They actually renovated a lot of degraded concrete before cladding. See this old post and old post with BEFORE/AFTER photos.
They are still doing "spot renovation" on the worst-degraded concrete that hasn't yet been fully cladded. (Though renovation looks selective, you can trust Orascom, a large multinational construction company, to do structural testing, and skip slightly degraded surfaces that haven't structurally degraded.)

4. According to BBC, Construction company confirms interior will be worked on; as a multi-use building (offices, residential, hotel).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8306697.stm

5. Many, many small details such as window cleaning rails. Look at the underside of the bottommost of the top cone (bottommost planned "revolving restaurant", if it becomes that instead of an observation deck) -- see the wiggly lines on the underside that correspond to the angles of the windows below in this closeup photo. After completion of cladding some sides, they even kept the rails they used for cladding the 60 degree angle surface, which could be used for a movable windowcleaning/maintenance platform that could be parked in the 'valleys' of the building's three slopes. Orascom has apparently thought of maintenance logistics for this building, which is more necessary for long-term habitation.
____

The evidence overwhelmingly points to an intent of, at least, long-term plans of eventual habitance. It certainly may be show for now, but their intent obviously shows long-term plan of making the interior usable, if not as soon as they are hoping to.

(monitoring this building with architectural/engineering intrigue, regardless of the politics)

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; October 21st, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:10 AM   #1955
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

Great post, it's a shame that people will miss it after a couple of new posts and will still say that its just a cover.

I agree, there's lots of signs that show this is a building thats going to be used and not just for show.
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM   #1956
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

maybe if north korea was run by actual smart and normal people the country would move forward quickly...north koreans are hard working people... im sure it would take a while to get used to capitalism...but I am certain that the economy would explode if the country was run by normal individuals... It would probably take half a century to catch up to South Korea, and that way the two Koreas could be united .... as long as these dictators run NK, its never going to see light at the end of the tunnel.
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1957
Scrapernab2

Thanks for the political post, SarajevoCity.

The glass on the outside of the Ryugyong hotel is just a cover.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; October 21st, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1958
Zaruka

Likes (Received): 25

Getting inside the Ryugyong Hotel

Quote:
I ask to get inside every year that I go and I will do so again for 2011. I did get to the construction site this year and I think if you make a request early they may be able to squeeze that in. Granted I was given all of one minute to photograph but it is possible. As for getting inside, well I am going to keep trying. Someday someone will get a photoshoot inside but I think that will be when more gets done inside. My understanding is that they will get several of the restaurants working. I want to get inside and I will keep trying.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaruka/...th/4979209315/
Zaruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM   #1959
Mark Rejhon

Quote:
Thanks for the political post.
Agreed, let's keep it to the building topic, although you didn't specify who you replied to. Regardless, Zakura's earlier comments about the state of the country is very interesting and balanced.

Quote:
The glass on the outside of the Ryugyong hotel is just a cover.
Yes it is, but that's obviously independent of whether or not the building will be used or not. There's a lot of occupied buildings in the world where certain cladding is 'just a cover' for concrete.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; October 21st, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1960
Scrapernab2

I think Orascom agreed to cover the building. The NK government wanted it done, and fast, to have that part finished for the big anniversary.

I do not think Orascom agreed to finish the building. The thought of getting the equipment to the mechanical levels (did anyone ever see anything going in before the cladding?) is a big undertaking, as well as plumbing, electrical and fittings....there is a lot of work to do in a building so large! With the visible part covered, now the DPRK can take plenty of time to finish the insides. I will guess that they will put a light bulb in each window so they can make it look lived in. You will be able to go to the top, and eat in the restaurant, but none of the elevator buttons will work, except the top and bottom floors.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel