daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:32 AM   #1961
ruffarambo1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

amazing resurrection!
ruffarambo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1962
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
The thought of getting the equipment to the mechanical levels (did anyone ever see anything going in before the cladding?)
No but thats probably because there haven't been a lot of pictures. It's great to see many new pictures lately but that wasn't the case in the beginning of the contruction(cladding). Did anyone see them take down the old crane on the top of it? No one did either and yet its not there anymore. Actyally I don't think Ive seen any pictures being taken while construction was going on.
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #1963
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Did anyone see them take down the old crane on the top of it? No one did either and yet its not there anymore.
True.

I did find it interesting - I think it was in Zakura's post - the mention that North Koreans he talked to reported a mist descended, there was a noise of a helicopter, the mist lifted then the crane was gone.

Perhaps something about the schooling/ propaganda makes them think about even routine construction work in quasi mystical terms.
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1964
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Living in Dubai I have photographed dozens of highrises and supertalls being build, not to mention watching them rise everyday, and in not a single occasion I've seen any equipment being hauled to the mechanical levels. Why?

1. Because they are hardly lifted from outside, rather sent up by service elevators in parts and blocks.
2. Even when they do, it usually takes part during the night.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1965
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

You make a good point. There are very few pictures of 'stuff' other than steel beams, floor plates and cladding being lifted by cranes in any construction pictures on this site, but I am sure they can be found.

Normally, when the floor of a mechanical level is complete, they lift the really big stuff up by crane because it's a lot easier than trying to fit it in an elevator. There's also items that are too heavy for even the best freight elevators.

The Ryugyong is a little different. The outside was completed long ago, with only little windows on the outside...no way to bring big items to a mechanical level in that way! So yes, they probably must move everything up in smaller pieces in elevators, out of site.

That said, I still do not believe ANY work (except elevators) has been done on the inside yet. The Orascom spokesman said they would complete the skin, then start thinking about the interior. In so many words.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1966
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
The Orascom spokesman said they would complete the skin, then start thinking about the interior. In so many words.
Sounds somewhat logic to me. We shouldn't forget that the construction of this building is just different because of the situation and the way we work now is a bit different from when construction of this building started.
Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1967
Mark Rejhon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
The Orascom spokesman said they would complete the skin, then start thinking about the interior. In so many words.
Obviously, keeping the door open. The evidence overwhelmingly points towards being able to progress to eventual habitability (not necessarily by Orascom)

Interesting point about the difficulty of machinery installation on mechanical floors. The mechanical floors will be a very interesting challenge. One theory is, where possible, they will use multiple smaller machines to do tasks normally done by bigger machines. (i.e. reassembling multiple medium-size mechanical-floor air conditioners can take the place of one massive air conditioner, handling different segments of building). And the thousands of open-able windows will reduce ventilation load. Multiple smaller-office-building hot water tanks can replace massive hot water tanks, or sections of a few medium tanks can be welded together once inside. Etc. They probably thought of mechanical floor logistics already. Smaller machinery may also allow staged mechanical floor expansion as the building slowly gets habitated floor by floor, over years and decades. All probably easier to solve than the elevator problem they had to solve.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; October 22nd, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1968
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

Thought I would link to this video of the fireworks celebration they had last year with the Ryugyong at its core - I don't know if this has been posted here before, and it shows that the North Koreans are deffinetly drawing attention to the Ryugyong again.

And here is why Orascom is interested in North Korea...

mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1969
Lulamann

Likes (Received): 161

The Fireworks Festival made a time before the works of conclusion the tower. At least the skeleton served to celebrations in years in which the building was paralyzed. Better which in Copacabana New Years celebration.
Lulamann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #1970
JmSepe
Nobel Prize Laureate

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
Thought I would link to this video of the fireworks celebration they had last year with the Ryugyong at its core - I don't know if this has been posted here before, and it shows that the North Koreans are deffinetly drawing attention to the Ryugyong again.

Ahahahha! I thought they were about to demolish the hotel.....lolz
JmSepe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1971
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I definitely think this needs a spire of some sort on top. I am usually against sticking something on top, but it looks so strange with a flat top.

I think it has been mentioned before, but it looks like there is going to be some kind of external lift. up the sloping edges.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1972
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

it looks fine without a spire

Mike____ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1973
migöl

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
it looks fine without a spire
yeah... I couldn´t imagine a pyramide with a spire.....
migöl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1974
iamxeddiex
Wankel

Likes (Received): 307

This building looks nice. Who would have thought?
iamxeddiex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1975
Mark Rejhon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
I think it has been mentioned before, but it looks like there is going to be some kind of external lift. up the sloping edges.
I think that's just going to be a service/cleaning platform. However, that brings up an interesting thought: What if it was the primary lift? Like an external version of the Hotel Luxor inclinator? I don't think so, because of the lower peaks, and I didn't see rails on the lower part, only on the higher part after the valleys.

I'm pretty certain there's also elevators inside there now, using some modern and creative Orascom-developed solution and/or retrofit.

I am also especially interested in the window-cleaning solution Orascom has developed for Ryugyong, since it's a technical challenge to make such a skyscraper easily maintainable. I have observed there are also rails underneath the top 'cone' too. Cheap DPRK labour would probably end up being used. My theory is:
- Window cleaning of the top cone could be done by carefully rappelling from top. This is exactly how Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas does it!!!
- Window cleaning of the whole building directly underneath cone, can be done by hanging a platfrom from the tracks underneath cone. This is frequently done from skyscrapers with high overhangs. Tracks visible in close-ups of the top cone.
- Window cleaning of the top slopes (above valley) done from moving platform on rails. Rails visible in photos.
- Window cleaning of the walls vertically underneath the top slopes (above valley) can be done by rappelling off the sides of the moving platform on rails on slope. It could even be another platform that lowers (a short one, such as 8 or 10 feet wide)
- Window cleaning of the lower slopes (below valley) is more tricky from a safety standpoint, but may be done by rappelling from the top of lower peaks (before valley). I am pretty sure they may use a solution such as a double-rope system (attached to two points at the top of the lower peaks) to keep the window cleaner on the lower slope, to prevent the window cleaner from falling off the slope.
- Window cleaning of the walls vertically underneath the lower peaks, can be done from rappelling too.
- Window cleaning of the walls vertically underneath the lower slopes, can be done from rappelling with one high attachment on the top of lower peaks and one ground attachment point (motorized rope reels with safety mechanisms would be preferred, whatever they call those in rapelling.)
- To ease window cleaning of the lower parts, they could also install rails on the lower slopes. But this probably won't happen until DPRK labour becomes more expensive that a retrofit becomes feasible instead of simply rappelling (ala Luxor style)

I am sure there are other better solutions too, but that should give complete window washing coverage of the whole skyscraper. How often DPRK does it, is up to question, but they'll obviously have to do a window wash occasionally!

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; November 9th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1976
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

Why does the hotel have to be so tall though? It's not like Pyongyang has tourists, let alone all of DPRK...
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1977
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
Why does the hotel have to be so tall though? It's not like Pyongyang has tourists, let alone all of DPRK...
One of their most important source of foreign currency is Chinese tourists.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1978
Wile E. Coyote
Super Genius

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Obviously it will be not hotel only.
and tanjir pasulja pun!
Wile E. Coyote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1979
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Well, the slave drivers in NK need foreign money. The Soviets did the same thing. Hard currency = more Mercedes and western goodies for the elite. It'll be a nice little home away from home, a conclave for those without a conscience.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1980
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
The real purpose was propaganda -- a South Korean company had built the world's tallest hotel, in Singapore, and North Korea wanted to beat the South.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel