daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:14 PM   #61
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyCity View Post
There's a massive network of closed lines in Australia. Most were closed in the period between the 1960s and the 1980s, and some have been turned into rail trails.
As this in Denmark, many lines was closed in that time, unfortunately a couple of really good lines, which would have been a huge success today, where also closed, it seemed like there was no future in rail, so there was nobody who talked about the investment in these lines which would have saved them
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #62
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #63
trainrover

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #64
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

The line from Burton-on-Trent to Leicester closed to passengers in the 1960s and has gradually been losing freight traffic since then. There is now talk of it reopening to passenger services once more. This is at the Burton end where virtually no trains run at all but the track is still maintained.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #65
trainrover

Hmmm, its ongoing maintenance makes me wonder if that trunk might figure into some west(?) coast HSR/bypass one day ...
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #66
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

old railway viaduct, the line was closed in 1964
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #67
trainrover

Too many avalanches, rockfalls, and deaths coupled to too little traffic convinced the CPR to close this segment of the line in 1961 (I think) ... now being a bikeway, hiking trail, it was open years back when I checked it out, although I was really wary of the loads of long, dagger-like icicles that hung from the tunnel ceilings, either autumn or winter ... I think at least this segment's closed off wintertime, for a return visit revealed the tunnels themselves gated for the season

Last edited by trainrover; January 11th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #68
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

another railway tunnel, same line as my previous post above last train passed through here in 1964
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #69
trainrover

Why your aversion to revealing the identity of the abandoned line, never mind its whereabouts?
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #70
link_road_17/7

Location: Milton Keynes - Britain's Most Successful Business City
Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
The line from Burton-on-Trent to Leicester closed to passengers in the 1960s and has gradually been losing freight traffic since then. There is now talk of it reopening to passenger services once more. This is at the Burton end where virtually no trains run at all but the track is still maintained.
ISTR that line being part of the Ivanhoe Line Project in the 1990s. Phase 1 (Leicester - Loughborough via intermediate stations) reopened in 1993, and Phase 2 (Leicester - Burton-on-Trent) might have succeeded had privatisation not thrown inflated costs.

Even ATOC recommends reopening the line, with intermediate stations. Capital costs are estimated at £49 million, giving a BCR of 1.3. Excluding the capital costs, it would be nearer 2.9. However, Leicestershire County Council reckon it would need £4 million of public subsidy per annum.

One to be written into a future (long term) East Midlands franchise I reckon.
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #71
trainrover

Sonoma Country, California

Last edited by trainrover; March 17th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #72
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #73
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Abandoned industrial tracks. Linköping, Sweden
Old November 4th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #74
susamuruago
Wydra

Likes (Received): 223

Abandoned railway tunnels, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Otter's Underground World
Otter's Underground Youtube
Fort Poznań

Harbornite liked this post
susamuruago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 11:16 PM   #75
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Yes, the UK didn't fully embrace the rail line closure zeal of the 1960s and still has a good inter-city and suburban rail network as a result.

I don't agree. Look up the Beeching axe to see why.

suasion liked this post
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:52 PM   #76
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Indeed. The UK went full retard with regards to railway closures in the nineteen sixties.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #77
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

I just walked parts of two abandoned rail lines leading from Gerolstein in Germany.

The first to Prum (Westeifelbahn), still has tracks down and bridges intact. But it is very badly overgrown with many trees across the route. So much so that we gave up after Mullborn.
The other line (Eifelquerbahn) I walked from Daun is in much better condition although there are trees down in places and one or two badly overgrown stretches. The highpoint of that is walking across the viaduct at Pelm, although it is because of the bad condition of this bridge that the railway is closed in the first place.

suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #78
The Polman

Likes (Received): 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post

Indeed. The UK went full retard with regards to railway closures in the nineteen sixties.
It went way too far at that side of the North Sea. They even wanted to scrap some very essential main lines and they still scrapped a lot. Now, fifty years later, they see the sorrow. They see these railway lines actually can be profitable or at least more cost-effective than just operating buses or roads, which cost money as well.

We in the Netherlands did not really have a Beeching Axe in the truest sense of the word. However: quite some smaller lines were closed (much less than in the UK though), however, an enormous amount of railway stations was closed in 1938. We came back to that even just after the war for some, but also in the decades after, especially since the 1970s, we reopened a lot of railway stations. Many of which see more than 2000, sometimes 5000 passengers a day today.

However, some railway lines with passenger service were still lost after the 1970 leap: Velsen-IJmuiden, Nijmegen-Kleve and Schin op Geul-Kerkrade/Aachen. All of them with regrets afterwards, especially the Nijmegen-Kleve one as reopening seems simple, with the exception being Nimby's frustrating this process. The IJmuiden line was demolished, which afterwards could have been a good terminus for a sprinter station. The Schin op Geul line became a heritage railway.

In the 1990s McKinsey convinced the NS that many of their lines were unprofitable and said that they should be closed. That was a no-go for the NS and the parliament, after which the secondary lines became tendered by provincial governments who saw life in these lines.

Tiel-Arnhem was on the fringe of existence like Almelo-Marienberg but they survived. Some lines, like the in the 1980s closed Enschede-Gronau line, reopened, also because of others willing to serve, as well as the earlier closed Zuidbroek-Veendam. Albeit serviced a lot, the line Enschede-Gronau barely sees any passengers.

Now secondary lines no longer are the tiny lines being low-frequented. The service is actually better despite the less infrastructure. Small trains and efficient company structures meant smaller, but much more trains and local interest meant upgrades being performed to these lines. Where some lines saw a 1x/hour empty train only 20 years ago, they're filled to the max 4x/hour today.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

TedStriker liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #79
stefeni-ts

Likes (Received): 41

I live in one of the largest towns in the UK without a railway That is Gosport in Hampshire (pop 77,000) the nearest stations are at Portsmouth Harbour a 7 minute ferry ride away or Fareham 6 miles away.

The town did have a rail network, the line to Gosport opened in 1841 (6 years before any line to Portsmouth and was regularly used by Queen Victoria (There ere also passenger services to Stokes bay (closed 1936) and Lee on Solent) closed 1933 to passengers and 1937 to freight)Passenger services to Gosport ended in 1955 and the station closed with the ending of freight in 1969 when the southern end of the line closed The northern end of the line remained in service to serve the Fleetlands Naval facility until 1995. the trackbed is now a rapid busway and in 2010 the derelict Gosport Station (listed) was repaired an converted into offices and houses.

stefeni-ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #80

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
I just walked parts of two abandoned rail lines leading from Gerolstein in Germany.

The first to Prum (Westeifelbahn), still has tracks down and bridges intact. But it is very badly overgrown with many trees across the route. So much so that we gave up after Mullborn.
I've always been on vacation with my parents at Lünebach which is a town not far from Prüm.
If my memory is correct at the time (around 1999) some cargotrains still drove towards Prüm.
The track at that time was still intact but ended at Pronsfeld where a smal shunting diesel was placed as a monument.
Also the Westeifelbahn split at Pronsfeld and Lünebach.
One part went towards Neuerburg and one part went towards Waxweiler.
An overview.
My parents told me that in the 80's there were still trains going towards Waxweiler and Neuerburg but around 1990 activity stopped.
We always used to walk some parts of the old railway lines around Lünebach mostly towards a railway bridge with a nice panoramic view of the valley.
At the time the track was already gone but the trackbed was still intact.
I think nowadays the old railway lines are converted to cycling roads.
Also the trainyard of Prüm was converted to a supermarket and car parking.

suasion liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote