daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #21
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

^ Yes, I had to hose down the bottom of my car once warmer weather arrived to clear out the salt stuck underneath.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #22
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

In colder climates, it is often too cold for salt to melt the snow/ice - but not often around here... a mix of salt and sand is plenty in southwest virginia. (not that it's all that useful when it hasn't snowed more than 2 inches this winter - and that was once in mid-november)
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #23
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

We call it gritting in the UK... a mixture of salt and grit. And yes it tends to happen a few times every year.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #24
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

someone should invent the heated road
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #25
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
someone should invent the heated road
That idea exists for a long time, but it's very expensive and prone to mass maintenance. No self-respecting road authority would construct that on a large scale.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Imagine running hot water ducts underneath the surface of the road! Would asphalt or concrete be heatable like that?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #27
gramercy
BANNED

there are some test underway with piezoelectronics; generating electricity by utilizing the pressure between the layers of asphalt

that electricity could be used to heat the road from underneath the same way elecricity is used to heat the back window in the car..
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:11 AM   #28
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
there are some test underway with piezoelectronics; generating electricity by utilizing the pressure between the layers of asphalt

that electricity could be used to heat the road from underneath the same way elecricity is used to heat the back window in the car..
I don´t think this is possible and that would still be a waste of energy, when it´s too cold and nothing helps, jsut don´t drive! It´s the silliest idea to want roads to be heated, OMG, there are millions kilometres of roads and they all should be heated, even if only nationalroads and motorways are heated, it would still be a waste of energy.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #29
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That idea exists for a long time, but it's very expensive and prone to mass maintenance. No self-respecting road authority would construct that on a large scale.
The new I-35W bridge over the Mississippi is heated, I believe. It is more common than you think.

Anyways, I don't believe in salting/sanding/etc - driving on unsalted roads is safer imo, because the road is all white; you know what to expect, unlike salt which is unevenly distributed and often has patches of black ice.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:47 AM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

But bridges are far more dangerous when icy compared to the normal road on land. That's why I often see bridge ice warning signs.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #31
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

For a seasoned "white road" driver as myself (and a considerable number of other snowy country drivers), this isn't too much of a problem. My car is fitted with winter tires, my head with an understanding of what less friction means. Driving in proper winter conditions isn't too difficult, but you need to realise what the challenges are - on or off salted highways. The driver is the responsible party, and just as no sane driver would go 150+ kph on a motorway in a rainstorm or if it's seriously foggy, even 80 might be excessive in heavy snow.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #32
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I don´t think this is possible and that would still be a waste of energy, when it´s too cold and nothing helps, jsut don´t drive
Actually there are quite a few bridges around the world, that are heated. And heated pavements are far from unknown. Actually it is even cheaper in some cases to heat pavement than to clean it in standard ways.

Example:
http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/fall94/p94au5.htm
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #33
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I don´t think this is possible and that would still be a waste of energy, when it´s too cold and nothing helps, jsut don´t drive! It´s the silliest idea to want roads to be heated, OMG, there are millions kilometres of roads and they all should be heated, even if only nationalroads and motorways are heated, it would still be a waste of energy.
I suppose heating the car is a waste of energy too, since you can just wear a sweater

think of all the baby seals you could save by wearing a sweater in the car, instead of turning on the heater

as a matter of fact, stop scientific progress in and of itself
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #34
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Geez, I've driven a car without heating in around-zero temps, it's NOT funny, nor comfortable. Car heating uses almost no extra energy, it draws hot air passing thorugh a pipe near the engine, which for obvious reasons are always hot.

For those who bash AC, I'd reccomend rush hour in Tucson, AZ, USA or Mobile, AL, USA in the summer to feel how it likes.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #35
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

This system is used in Spain in a new highway (A-23):

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #36
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

So in short, they spray salted water on the bridge's road surface when needed. Nice system, may be a bit surprising for the drivers who don't know the system (might cause accidents), but seeing people will most likely drive slower anyway when this system needs to be deployed, that would be quite acceptable.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #37
Snowguy716

Likes (Received): 1

Here in northern Minnesota they use a heavy salt mixture when the temperature is between about 10-32˚F, but below that they use mostly sand.

Salt doesn't melt the road surface below that temperature and so only sand will help give you traction on icy roads. It's the worst if we get big snows during early winter because the sun angle is low enough that it doesn't really melt the snow on the road.

By late winter the sun is strong enough to melt the roads off even in sub-zero (fahrenheit) temperatures.

I much prefer sand anyway. The salt really rusts your car out and it's probably not gonna do anything anyway when our average high in January is a balmy 16˚F. (-8˚C)
Snowguy716 no está en línea   Reply With Quote