daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #61
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Thats what one gets by reading this forum once a week.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #62
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
A LGV is a new line dedicated to high speed trains, the commercial speed being 300 to 320 km/h, with a few sections limited to 270 km/h. Not to be confused with the other lines upgraded to allow the TGV trains to run at 220 km/h.

Here's the detail:
LN1 (aka LGV Sud-Est) = 409km
LN2 (aka LGV Atlantique) = 279km
LN3 (aka LGV Nord) = 333km
LN4 (aka LGV Rhône-Alpes) = 115
LN5 (aka LGV Méditerrannée) = 250
LN6 (aka LGV Est) = 304km
LGV Interconnexion Est = 95km
Juanico, yeah I take your point about standard commercial speed on French LGVs being 300-320 km/h. The limitation to 270 km/h you mention is, as far as I know, found on parts of the oldest line LN1 only. But, a question: are you sure that your defintion of LGV holds for the Interconnextion Est? I thought I've read somewhere that the speed there is limited to somewhere below 250 km/h.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #63
sotavento

There are definitions and definitions... the interconeccion is just a bypass /exchange ... let him be happy about it.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #64
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

@ hans280 and sotavento: the "LGV Interconnexion Est" is a full HSRL (hence the name). Its been made to allow transversal links (or province to province links in other words e.g. Lille - Marseille or Brussels - Montpellier) as LN1, 2, 3 and 6 all end in cul-de-sac in one of the the Paris termini.

Contrary to the other LGV it's limited to 270 km/h but not because it's not built on LGV standards (it is), but for the many forks (to LN1, 3 and 6) close to each other, and also because on the 57 km long main section there can be 2 stations to stop to (CDG airport and Marne-la-Vallée) depending of the route.

hans280, yes there are many sections limited to 270 km/h on LN1, but as far as I know there is one as well on LN2 right on the end of the southwestern branch (between km 210 and 232) and as I have mentioned above on the LGV Interconnexion Est.

sotavento, you might be confused with the southern bypass of Paris between Valenton and Massy that connects the network with LN2 (LGV Atlantique) using a classical line, because like I've said (and the name says it all!) LGV Interconnexion Est is an High Speed Rail Line.

End of, I won't monopolize the thread for an issue like this.

On a personal note to you, sotavento, don't act as if it was pure ignorance and you didn't know it was 1800 km when you typed "~1250 + something" or when you deliberatly overestimated some neighbour's network... A quick glance at your contributions on the Subways subforum makes me think it's an habit with you.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #65
sotavento

Since you pointed a finger at my general direction ... FYIO:

1- interconexion est is a paris bypass ... acording to EU standards is a full fledged HSL ... where do you get that I was claiming otherwise ???

Last time I hear 270km/h was above 250km/h so what gives ???

2- That bias of yours against me ... let's count:

Quote:
Here's the detail:
LN1 (aka LGV Sud-Est) = 409km
LN2 (aka LGV Atlantique) = 279km
LN3 (aka LGV Nord) = 333km
LN4 (aka LGV Rhône-Alpes) = 115
LN5 (aka LGV Méditerrannée) = 250
LN6 (aka LGV Est) = 304km
LGV Interconnexion Est = 95km
= 1271km ... wich was the 1250/1300km that I mentioned above.

so just add the Rhone-Alps + interconexion + LGV Est ... wich I didn't find hard data on the spot on their mileage so I just added "plus the new LGV's" ... I didn't even remembered the rhone-alpes in the first place.

And about these little provocative comments of yours:

Quote:
"hen you deliberatly overestimated some neighbour's network" ... and wich network would that be ???
And What network would that be ???

Quote:
"A quick glance at your contributions on the Subways subforum makes me think it's an habit with you."
Considering that once one says something over ther people move campaigns against whatever you said ... but instead of READING what has been said they just start ranting anti-your-nationality because you are offending theirs ... life would be much more easy on some of those folks if they just READ what other people say to them instead of trying to find offensive bias in the tone of the "good morning" that they receive.

Or is it because of the LUL "virginal" ofenses ??? it hurts to be on the receiving end of blatant biased comments ... just took my time to show "them" their usual recipe.

You guys over here really love to create argumentations where there is none ... so don't blame others for doing the same.

Sidenote: you neglected to point out conclusively that France Indeed has the greater HSR network in europe ... try to add the mileage of conventional rail at 200km/h and you might even find yourself with the "greatest" HSR network in the entire world.
— Eça
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #66
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Do they not still use high speed diesel's like these?

You do still see loco pulled trains occasionally on the West Coast Mainline (London-Birmingham-Manchester/Liverpool-Glasgow) but I think they are only used when the pendolinos are out of service for some reason, most days you wouldn't see one in action.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #67
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

These locomotives are being modernized with a new engine. They are still used, I imagine mainly on diesel lines (Wales, South-West).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #68
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
You do still see loco pulled trains occasionally on the West Coast Mainline (London-Birmingham-Manchester/Liverpool-Glasgow) but I think they are only used when the pendolinos are out of service for some reason, most days you wouldn't see one in action.
virgin replaced it's HST's long abo by voyagers.

They wen't to other railways ... pretty much all still run today.

First Great Western (GW main line), Nat.Express (Ex.gner on ECML) and others use them extensively ...
— Eça
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #69
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

What about Korean HSR? They have some 330Km/h lines as far as I know.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote