daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Old December 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #21
Metal

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Basketball's roots are in Canada so cultural interest isn't a problem. Neither is infrastructure. The biggest road block for Canada is that we've massively under produced in this sport for a very long time. Other countries like the USA and recently Spain have fielded far better teams.

If Canada wants to recapture its place in the basketball world, we need to start producing better teams and completely over haul the basketball system in this country. Canadians aren't used to losing so badly is sports we care about.
Even if i shouldn't talk, cuz Poland has never been a strong team in basketball(biggest successes= men european vice-champions in the 60s and women european champions in 1999) i will ask this: has the Canadian team ever been strong, have you won anything, any title, any medal? I mean, "recapture its place in the basketball world"?? What place?

Sorry for my arrogance, i'm just curious.
Metal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 29th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #22
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaiptol View Post
I'd love Italy to host it, 'cause it's an amazing country, strong basketball country and they would build even 4 fresh new arenas. Plus if Spain won the bid, one of Lithuania's main rivals would have the advantage of home court and we don't want that, don't we?

China is also a good choice, imo. We'd see many new arenas.
Dont bother, our Federation will lend half of the tickets to VIP's who wont cheer up anything, as in Euro 2007.

What about the chinese bid? Any render of their arenas?

URBE REGIA LEGIONENSE
Kazurro está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #23
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 1899

You need a 15,000 arena for the final and 7,500 arena for the group matches.
(Source: Turkish Basketball Federation President)

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #24
anaiptol

Likes (Received): 2

W00t? 2 arenas? For EuroBasket you need 6 & for World Championship 2?
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #25
anaiptol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazurro View Post
Dont bother, our Federation will lend half of the tickets to VIP's who wont cheer up anything, as in Euro 2007.

What about the chinese bid? Any render of their arenas?
No, but considering thay love to boast - they'd be amazing!
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #26
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.

Quote:
No, but considering thay love to boast - they'd be amazing!
How will they boast if they were in the catering during the match'

URBE REGIA LEGIONENSE
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #27
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
Even if i shouldn't talk, cuz Poland has never been a strong team in basketball(biggest successes= men european vice-champions in the 60s and women european champions in 1999) i will ask this: has the Canadian team ever been strong, have you won anything, any title, any medal? I mean, "recapture its place in the basketball world"?? What place?

Naismith, creator of this sport was born in Canada...

Nowadays Canada is not a good NT, because like Serbia there are a lot of top canadian players who dont play for NT, but I think a NT with Nash, and other top canadian players could be a good team.

Talking about canadian players, ¿where is Matt Santangelo? He perfomed well in Spain a few years ago...

URBE REGIA LEGIONENSE
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #28
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Quote:
W00t? 2 arenas? For EuroBasket you need 6 & for World Championship 2?
Sorry i meant 7,500 arenas

For example Turkey 2010 (IMO we will lose it thanks to our Tbf President )

Final:
Istanbul: FB Arena (15,000) or Sinan Erdem Dome (17,000-22,500)

Group machtes:
Istanbul: Abdi Ipekci (10,550) or FB Arena (15,000)

Antalya: New Arena (10,000)

Ankara: New Arena (10,000)

Izmir: Halkapinar (9,242)

Old December 30th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #29
anaiptol

And how big the arenas for groups matches must be?
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #30
Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Sorry i meant 7,500 arenas

For example Turkey 2010 (IMO we will lose it thanks to our Tbf President )

Final:
Istanbul: FB Arena (15,000) or Sinan Erdem Dome (17,000-22,500)

Group machtes:
Istanbul: Abdi Ipekci (10,550) or FB Arena (15,000)

Antalya: New Arena (10,000)

Ankara: New Arena (10,000)

Izmir: Halkapinar (9,242)
Only 5 arenas?? For volleyball Italy is gonna use 10 arenas, Poland for Eurobasket 2009=7...

PS So Italy bids for the WCH without a 15.000 arena...lol...it's pretty finished for them. Sorry but i hope for China
Metal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #31
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Quote:
And how big the arenas for groups matches must be?
According to our TBF President 7,500.

Old December 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #32
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Australian basketball seriously needs to stage a tournament of this level to save the sport at the top level. The game will always be played, but at a pro level it looks like it is goner.

If the NBA is going to expand overseas we need it down in Oz more than Europe needs it.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:35 AM   #33
JYDA

Likes (Received): 11

To my fellow Canadians, we just hosted the Worlds in 1994 so I think we've got to wait a while for another chance. Besides, we're not exactly in FIBA's good books after winning the bid for the U19 worlds and then bailed at the last second due to lack of funds.

However, that won't stop me from putting together a hypothetical bid for the fun of it. Toronto could host on its own using these arenas.

Air Canada Centre
Capacity: 20,000

Ricoh Coliseum (5 minutes from the Air Canada Centre)
Capacity: 10,000

Copps Coliseum (40 minutes from Toronto)
Capacity: 19,000

As for our team, after Nash retired from the squad we've been crap. We won our pool at the Sydney Olympics and then choked against France in the quarterfinals. After that it's been nothing but disappointment. Not to mention Jamal Magloire (a one-time NBA all-star) has refused to play since he was a teenager.

Last edited by JYDA; January 2nd, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #34
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4534

The Skydome could always be used as well. It was reconfigured for basketball and used by the Toronto Raptors of the NBA for a number of years while the Air Canada Centre was being built. As much as I'd like Canada to host the FIBA World Championships again, I don't think the Canadian public has the stomach for another humiliating performance, especially on home soil. Tear the entire Canadian basketball system apart and build it new from scratch. When the national team reaches a tolerable #5 ranking or better, then perhaps we should bid. We're the epitome of a basketball nation, but basketball at the elite level in Canada has been a national embarrassment.

Losing to France? Losing to Australia? I thought I'd never see the day. I think a lot of people in this country were absolutely stunned by those losses. I remember CBC News anchor, Peter Mansbridge, reporting on that loss to France at the Olympics. He was so shocked, he thought he'd heard it wrong and requested confirmation, shaking his head in horror. I still can't believe it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post

It's ok, you're being polite, and there's nothing wrong with not knowing. Basketball was a fairly big sport in Canada and the USA for a long time before it was exported beyond our borders. When basketball became an Olympic sport, Canada and the USA were the 2 dominant basketball nations.

At the 1936 Olympics, the men's team lost in the gold medal game to the USA. Since then it's been all down hill. A 4th place at the 1976 Olympics, 6th at the 1978 World Championships, 4th at the 1982 World Championships, 4th place at the 1984 Olympics, and a 6th at the 1988 Olympics have been the only top 6 finishes for the men's program since, at a major tournament.

The women's program has been equally inept. They also lost the gold to the USA at the 1936 Olympics. There have been no other medals for them. The men's team is now ranked a dismal #19 by FIBA while the women's program is only ranked #13. For a basketball nation like Canada, the last 50 years has been an absolute disaster. We grow up playing basketball. In my home province, almost every suburban house had a basketball hoop at the end of the driveway. If this were soccer, we wouldn't give a shit. Soccer is still largely an exotic foreign sport to huge swaths of this country, but basketball? No, we need to win at that.

Only in paralympic basketball, is Canada still a perenial gold medal favourite. In sports Canada cares about, we expect to be in contention for a medal. A top 6 is tolerable. Below that is not. It's been so bad for so long, we can't even bear to watch any more.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 8th, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #35
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Don't remember Canada ever beating Australia which has always surprised me as they have an NBA team and are so close to the epicentre of hoops. Possibly Canada does not have many residents of African descent. They seem to have better twitch muscles, with a higher leap and are generally taller in stature than your bog standard Caucasian. Hockey might get too much of the attention also. Too much of the one sport.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #36
whatever...

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Australian basketball seriously needs to stage a tournament of this level to save the sport at the top level. The game will always be played, but at a pro level it looks like it is goner.

If the NBA is going to expand overseas we need it down in Oz more than Europe needs it.
We do not need that commercial shit here at all. Euroleague overshadowing NBA is just a matter of time.
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #37
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4534

I'm not a fan of the NBA either. That league has little interest in furthering the development of professional basketball in Canada. The NBA is profit driven, and will therefore gravitate to big market cities. Only Toronto fits their definition of a viable profit centre. One city in the whole country is just not good enough. I hope another league shows up that is modeled on European leagues rather than north American leagues which behave as closed clubs, and completely profit driven. Teams should go where there is interest in basketball, not simply whether the spread sheet dictates one can make the most money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Don't remember Canada ever beating Australia which has always surprised me as they have an NBA team and are so close to the epicentre of hoops. Possibly Canada does not have many residents of African descent. They seem to have better twitch muscles, with a higher leap and are generally taller in stature than your bog standard Caucasian. Hockey might get too much of the attention also. Too much of the one sport.
2000 Sydney Olympics, Group B action: Canada 101 Australia 90
http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...asketball.html

FIBA U21 Worlds 2005, Bronze medal game: Canada 79 Australia 74
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Un...d_Championship

Canada actually does have a sizable African/Caribbean-Canadian community, but that has nothing to do with our performance at the elite level in basketball. The problem in Canada has to do with hockey being the only sport that Canada takes seriously. Basketball is part of our culture, but historically, Canada has only cared about winning in hockey, and as a result, only developed a sophisticated sport system for hockey. All other sports were run on a shoe string without proper organization, structure, professionalism, or management.

When Canada loses in hockey, the entire nation goes into a depressing period of self reflection and self doubt. When we lose at basketball, we watch a hockey game to pretend it didn't happen. Since the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, attention turned to other winter Olympic sports. Canadians started to demand competitiveness in other sports beyond hockey. We're now a winter sports powerhouse. Since 2006, the attention has turned to summer Olympic sports, and hopefully stronger basketball teams.

I don't expect things to get much better for 2012, but beyond that, Canada should start to field more competitive teams. I hope you don't take what I said as an insult to Australia. Australia is a great sporting nation, but it's a huge blow to our ego to lose in basketball to another Commonwealth nation. It would be like Australia losing to Canada in cricket. There are just some sports where losing to Australia just doesn't go over very well. Losing to the States in basketball we can process, losing to Australia in basketball we don't know how to process that one even though it happens all the time now.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 8th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #38
JYDA

Likes (Received): 11

Australia's a lot better at basketball than you're giving them credit for. The Australian Institute of sport churns out talented young players and they've won gold at the 97 U21 worlds and the 2003 U19 worlds. They're ranked 9th in the world and beat the Euro champs Russia and demolished Lithuania in Beijing. Basketball Canada has even modeled their new NEDA program after Australia's development program to try and replicate their success in developing young players. They've got better youth development, better results, they have a strong pro league............ I'm not really seeing how losing to Australia is akin to "Canada beating Australia in cricket".
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #39
berkshire royal

There is no such thing as a sport Australia are terrible at. Australia is the best run nation on this planet when it comes to producing talented sport personalities.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #40
flierfy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
There is no such thing as a sport Australia are terrible at. Australia is the best run nation on this planet when it comes to producing talented sport personalities.
Wrong. Australia is terrible in any sport Australians don't care about. And there is a lot of sports that is almost unknown in Australia. Even in football in which they pretend to be interested in they are ways off the worlds best.

Tags
spain in the world