daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: For or against prejudice and discrimination?
Yes - Ireland is a modern country against bigotry 91 76.47%
No - I like judging people and think hate is good 28 23.53%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #41
PB-1888

Likes (Received): 0

Delta, you keep saying the radioactive half life is calculated using material of an assumed age as a standard. Its not.

There is potential for error in assuming constant atmospheric levels of C-14. But lets look into that. If an organic sample is calculated at 57 000 years, it has undergone 10 half lives. Or it has 0.098% of C-14 remaining. If you're telling me the world is no more than 6000 years old, then it can only have undergone one half life. To explain that off using atmospheric variation of C-14, then the level of C-14 5700 years ago must be 510.2 times less than it is now.

You also make it sound like there is some sort of conspiracy against creationists. I'll happily believe the Earth is 6000 years old and man was directly put on Earth by God if there is evidence for it. Of course that is in direct contradiction to whole concept of faith.
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #42
937delta

PB-1888

Look, I no very little about the technicalities of carbon dating and I could go on to sites through google and prove that carbon dating is extremely inaccurate, and that scientists qualified to the hilt can prove that man was put on the earth 6004 years ago, but at the end of the day what ever view you take its FAITH
The age of the earth itself cannot be worked out Bibically (could be 6000 years or 500 million years or whatever), only when man, animals and plants were placed on it can be approximately worked out. Oh as well as the stars, sun etc when they came to influence the earth.
937delta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #43
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_right View Post
Don't like people pushing their own agenda and trying to supress the opinion of others - voted no as a reaction to this.
I voted no for the same reason , that and I'm a hate filled racist women hating neo-nazi.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #44
PB-1888

I obviously disagree Delta. I generally take a very sceptical view on anything and everything and will only accept a 'fact' as such in the face of overwhelming evidence. Faith doesn't come into it. I don't see why with science explaining the origins of species and the world, religions have to feel so threatened. In my opinion Christ remains a pre-eminent moral philosopher with his revolutionary ideas of loving enemies and turning the other cheek. Christian religions should keep focused on that, especially in today's dangerous world. The evolution of Homo sapiens is separate.
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #45
937delta

Quote:
I don't see why with science explaining the origins of species and the world, religions have to feel so threatened.
It is very hard to fit the man-made idea of evolution into the Bible, with respect to man, you cannot fit evolution into the Bible, unless he evolved from nothing to man within one day. I don't feel threatened by the evolution theory, the problem is that some Christians have got lost with their views on creation by having evolution rammed down their throat from an early age by the secular influenced state. Despite the state forcing man to believe 'the theory of evolution', Christians are starting to rise above this nonsense and in deed see how creation answers absolutely everything about life on earth and its history.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #46
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 20

Im beginning to think you're taking the piss.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #47
spacetweek

(Ignoring the Creationists.)

It seems there's a gulf between gay marriage and gay civil unions. With only around 6 countries in the whole world having gay marriage, but gay unions being common, I think it's a lot to shoot for in a country with a strong catholic legacy as this. I say legacy, because direct catholic influence has waned in Ireland, but the legacy remains in indirect forms e.g. control of schools and hospitals by the church.

We should have had civil unions two or three years ago at least - that was a no brainer, but gay marriage is tougher and involves overturning the existing order. That takes time. Let's wait for gay civil unions to become common in society and then revisit the issue.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #48
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veļas pulveris View Post
Sure! First we will give rights for "sihte pushers", then we will give rights for likes of Josef Fritzl!
How privileged we are to have your marvellous pearls of wisdom yet again. Do please continue, should be rather hilarious.

Of course it should be legalised.

Interesting fact for the day, the FIRST EVER recorded use of the word 'marriage' was in Rome and bestowed upon a same-sex male couple.

OH

THE

IRONY....
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #49
BARAKALDO

Spain is great. There gay marriage is legal. And life goes on as it always did. Ireland has a lot to learn.
BARAKALDO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #50
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Same-sex marriage gets poll support

CARL O'BRIEN, Social Affairs Correspondent

Fri, Feb 27, 2009

A NATIONAL poll commissioned by a group campaigning for gay marriage has found that 62 per cent of respondents would vote Yes in a referendum to extend civil marriage to same-sex couples.

The campaign group MarriagEquality said yesterday the poll results showed the public was ready to accept civil marriage for lesbians and gay men.

Government ministers have ruled out same-sex marriage on the basis that it would require a referendum which, they say, would be the subject of a deeply divisive public debate.

The poll was conducted by Lansdowne Market Research between October 15th and 30th, 2008. A national sample of 1,000 people over 15 years of age were interviewed.

A breakdown of the results shows that support is strongest among younger people and in urban areas. Women were more supportive at 68 per cent compared to 56 per cent of men.

There was slightly less support for same-sex couples being given the right to adopt. A total of 58 per cent of those under 50 believe same-sex couples should be able to adopt, falling to 33 per cent among the over-50s.

A total of 54 per cent believe the definition of the family unit in the Constitution should be changed to include same-sex families.

Gráinne Healy, co-chair of MarriagEquality, said the findings supported the group’s calls for the Government to recognise that equality includes the human and civil rights of lesbian women and gay men to marry.

“There are many different family types in Ireland, including lesbians and gay parents. The Irish public recognise this fact, with seven out of 10 believing that being raised in a loving home is the key determinant in ensuring that children are happy and well.”

A civil partnership Bill is due before the Dáil shortly which will allow lesbian and gay couples to register with the State and avail of privileges in areas such as pensions, inheritance and tax.

Officials say it will stop short of marriage and will not provide any right for same-sex couples to adopt. Groups such as MarriagEquality say this does not go far enough. Moninne Griffith, MarriagEquality’s co-ordinator, said it was within the Government’s power to legislate for civil marriage for same-sex couples.

“Until the Government acts, Ireland is infringing upon the rights of a section of Irish society. There is no time to waste; equality for all people on this island must become a reality,” she said.

© 2009 The Irish Times
The public will is there, but I doubt the governmental will is...
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #51
XenonII
Hero of Soviet Russia

- edit

Last edited by XenonII; March 6th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.
XenonII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #52
odlum833

Likes (Received): 657

The only thing I agree with you on is the daft wording of this poll. Perhaps a mod could sort that out? I have absolutely no problem with gays so long as they don't interfer with me. What they get up to is their choice. We have freedom of liberty in this country. TBH I could not give a rats arse what anyone else gets up to but myself so long, once again, as it does not interfer with me.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #53
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with gays so long as they don't interfer with me.
You have some sort of agenda we should know about odlum ?
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #54
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró... View Post
You have some sort of agenda we should know about odlum ?
I have no agenda. Like I say I don't care what people do in their own time as long as im not involved. Im not gay. Im indifferent to those who are. I don't care what they do.

Old March 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #55
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonII View Post
Wow amazingly biased poll wording! If you don't support so-called homosexual "marriage" it's because you are "bigoted" a "hater" "prejudiced" and are "judging". Well whatever! We don't need to judge homosexuals, God has already done that and he has called their freely chosen lifestyle an abomination worthy of death! I'm voting NO, I don't hate homosexuals I feel sorry for them. It's a mental illness and their behavior is sexually disorded, but Jesus can set them free, all they need to do is ask! These deviants are the real haters. They hate society, morals and normality and now they wan't to destroy traditional marriage. They need help to get over their addiction to sexual perversion and not special rights! A marriage can only be between one man and one woman. It is time for Ireland to accept God and his Word, and stop pandering to the homosexual agenda. Ireland is supposed to be a Catholic nation and homosexuality should be banned!
LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

Seriously???

Last time I checked God has said **** all about gays.

Oh sorry...you mean the Bible, yes the book that consists of randomly selected (poorly) translated Aramaic scripts, complied hundreds of years after the death of Jesus by a Roman Emperor and since then been constantly changed, re-worded and bits added to suit the prevailing thought of the time. Oh my....someone needs to seriously readdress their understanding of what they believe to be the 'word of god'.

You feel sorry of gay people? How lovely of you, maybe instead of feeling sorry for them you should accept the fact you have absolutely no right whatsoever to condemn them based on a flawed opinion fuelled with bigotry and casual ignorance.

Marriage.....between a man and women. Oh dear, clearly unaware of history, then again your shocking failure to spell correctly did not exactly give me the impression you were fully versed in Roman History. If you had been then you would know that the word 'marriage' was not originally used to describe the union between a man and women, but instead the FIRST EVER documented use of the word was to describe the union of two men.

I do feel sorry for you.....must be so tragic to be you and to think about all that horrible pain you must experience as you see gay people walking the streets, the vast majority happy and accepting of others. I really do feel sorry for you.....maybe when you die your god will also pity you and you wholly unchristian attitude and maybe, just maybe you won't go to your hell.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #56
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

Could have done with a few more lol's there I think.

Old March 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #57
belfastuniguy
Subliving

As for hating society.

Gay people have been at the forefront of campaiging for greater civil liberties and rights for all minorities. On average a much higher percentage of gay people work and contribute to society financially. They have been the reason for economic development in some parts of cities such as Manchester, San Francisco and others. Relationship stability is stronger in gay couples than heterosexual couples with a lower percentage of divorce or civil partnership breakdown.

Gay people also provide stable homes for children and unlike some heterosexuals abuse their natural position to have children, with some mothers treating their wombs as a playpen for random men. Resulting in poorly cared for children either being aborted, put into care or neglected to then become deviants and the cause of juvenile crime.

If you want to address those that are leading to 'breakdown' in society maybe you should take you ignorant mindset out of your Westboro Baptist Monthly and take a look around you. Clearly you do not deserve to live in a free, open and tolerate society. You probably live in America, so you uneducated and ignorant mindset may have an explanation...
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #58
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I have no agenda. Like I say I don't care what people do in their own time as long as im not involved. Im not gay. Im indifferent to those who are. I don't care what they do.
Was messing. Just your wording was funny

also...
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #59
937delta

Quote:
Gay people have been at the forefront of campaiging for greater civil liberties and rights for all minorities. On average a much higher percentage of gay people work and contribute to society financially. They have been the reason for economic development in some parts of cities such as Manchester, San Francisco and others. Relationship stability is stronger in gay couples than heterosexual couples with a lower percentage of divorce or civil partnership breakdown.

Gay people also provide stable homes for children and unlike some heterosexuals abuse their natural position to have children, with some mothers treating their wombs as a playpen for random men. Resulting in poorly cared for children either being aborted, put into care or neglected to then become deviants and the cause of juvenile crime.
What are you on man!!!!!
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #60
Viking74

Likes (Received): 25

Whenever gay issues are mentioned, a select bunch of ignorant hate mongering loathsome people seem come out of the woodwork. Same happens each time. Since when was homosexuality a 'mental illness'? Go get yourself some education. Sounds like you are badly in need of some.
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: