daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

View Poll Results: For or against prejudice and discrimination?
Yes - Ireland is a modern country against bigotry 90 76.27%
No - I like judging people and think hate is good 28 23.73%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #121
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
You still......last time I looked we had more equality laws than you do.....that and blasphemy is not illegal here

I meant to pick you up on this point before, but didn't bother. Suppose I should save you from continuing to display ignorance of domestic and international law sooner rather than later.

I'll preamble my post by saying I'm completely opposed to any blasphemy laws in Ireland, and look forward to it being repealed by referendum next year. (The only way it can be repealed by Irish law)

Firstly, your contemptuous remarks about a backward third world country fail to take into account that countries like Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Australia and Canada all have blasphemy laws.
In fact, attempts to remove blasphemy laws, in recent times, have failed in some of these countries.
You also fail to note that blasphemy laws have actually been acted upon in many of these countries, and the UK, during the 20th and 21st centuries but have never been tested in Ireland...
You should probably head over to the Nordic and Baltic forum, and let them rip you apart!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law

Secondly, the blasphemy law in Ireland ISN'T a newly created thing. It's best viewed as an amendment of an older law initially put in place under British rule, and later tweaked in the 1937 constitution.
It's essentially an amendment of the blasphemy law introduced in 1937. It was decided that a referendum, which is required to remove it, would be too expensive for the sake of removing a defunct law, so the stupid minister decided to alter the existing law.
The public outcry is what gave it media attention, and what will lead to its ultimate removal later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_Ireland

Thirdly, the thing that makes your sneering jibes (they're hardly born out a real interest in civil rights, but are rather a nationalistic attempt to undermine Ireland) about the blasphemy law most annoying is the fact that blasphemy is still to this very day ILLEGAL in Northern Ireland.
While blasphemy laws were removed in England and Wales in 2008, they remain in Northern Ireland and Scotland. In fact, it was decided in the House of Lords to leave any decision about blasphemy in the six counties to a devolved government in NI. The reasoning being they felt people in Northern Ireland wouldn't welcome the repeal of a blasphemy law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphe...United_Kingdom

http://www.publications.parliament.u...91105-0006.htm

Finally, I noted on another unrelated thread where you decided to harp on about the blasphemy law (you do it quite a bit I've noticed) you said something about not having to worry about being arrested in Belfast for calling God a wanker, but you would in Dublin.
I suggest you visit the 'God Dates Fags' exhibition in Dublin if you get the chance. They're waiting for the Stazi to turn up at any minute (just like that cartoonist in backward Denmark.)
Perhaps, now that you're aware of the backward laws in your own jurisdiction you could set up something similar in protest seeing as you're so concerned about such civil rights.

nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #122
nordisk celt83

I should add that my last post was an attack on posts. I used NI as an example to point out the hypocrisy and stupidity of the poster's comments.
I'm beyond showing contempt for countries, especially ones that are of vital importance to our economic well-being!

Last edited by nordisk celt83; May 16th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #123
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

I'd suspect a gay couple showing affection to one antoher like holding hands would be more likely to encounter abuse walking down the city centre streets of Belfast than those in Dublin in 21st century Ireland.
Apologies if offense caused, but would this be the case?
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #124
plank007

Likes (Received): 22

I tend to agree with that sentiment.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #125
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 2

I think thats true, I remember reading a few years back that attempted suicide rates among gay people in Northern Ireland (25%) are a fair bit higher than what they are in the south where its about 18% (still way too high) http://www.atlanticphilanthropies.or...public-ireland

7% of a difference doesnt sound like much but you'd need attemped suicide rates to go up by more than a third in the republic to reach NI levels

"The three year study, Out on Your Own, conducted by the Rainbow Project, reveals a quarter of gay men have attempted suicide, two thirds have considered it and 30 per cent have self harmed.

According to the research, homophobic attitudes and a lack of resources on mental and emotional conditions, play a big part in difficulties amongst the country's gay community." http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-956.html/
Published in 2006, i'd imagine little has changed with people like the Robinsons in charge. Possibly got worse during this recession

Off topic, just looked up the overall suicide trends on Samaritans (whose details are considered to be very accurate, accurate enough that the UK Royal College of Psychiatrists use them in the studies) and it says that NI had a 111% increase in suicide from 97-2006 compared to a 14.5% decrease in the republic.

This is overall though. Not just gay men.

Last edited by Thefancydanhimself; May 17th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #126
plank007

DUP tried to stop civil partnerships in NI. When the DUP supported the British Government on 42 days detention a deal was being done on watering down future improvements of gay rights in Northern Ireland. However the bill was passed in NI...

In my honest opinion the DUP are no better than the BNP!
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #127
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 2

That doesn't surprise me, with Mrs. Robinson elected. I've never heard any politician down south say anything as vile as what she said on NI radio a while back. Even though i wouldnt be surprised if there are a number of back benchers who think it.

Still, the bible says Jesus is just as revolted by adultery as it is by homosexuality, yet she still retains the respect of the people in her congregation. Go figure
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #128
plank007

Indeed.

People like BUG like to paper over the cracks and pretend everything in the North is fine and dandy. FN sure it is not!! We have some of worst sectarian & homophobic politicians in the World. Not to mention some of the worst social problems in Western Europe - poverty especially.

These issues need to be highlighted and discussed, not papered over with spin or comparisons with other places like BUG is fond of doing…"Oh, but we're not as bad as Costa Rica". OR "We have the lowest crime rate in Europe". Say that to someone living in fear in Derry or West Belfast.

Last edited by plank007; May 17th, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #129
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2051

Quote:
We have some of worst sectarian & homophobic politicians in the World
In the whole entire world?

Fucking hell.....you're hyperbole is in full swing today. Might not wanna have a look at places like Jamaica, the Middle East, Russia etc if you want to keep believing that.

Quote:
"We have the lowest crime rate in Europe". Say that to someone living in fear in Derry or West Belfast.
Second lowest in the world actually, after Japan. Just because someone lives in 'fear' does not cancel out the facts.
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #130
plank007

Ditto. NI? In the whole world? Source please.

Test marks for an economics degree from Queen's University isn't a valid substitute for a real source.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #131
belfastuniguy
Subliving

The United Nations International Crime Victimisation Survey, go look it up

I'll wait..
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #132
plank007

Post it here for a change! Go on, call my bluff!

Going to bed or CBA isn't an excuse btw incase you try and pull that one...
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #133
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Alright plankton, seeing as you can't admit you're wrong.

Quote:
Northern Ireland has one of the lowest crime rates among industrialized countries. According to statistics from the U.N. International Crime Victimization Survey. Northern Ireland has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe (lower than the United States and the rest of the United Kingdom).The results of the latest ICVS show that Japan is the only industrialized place safer than Northern Ireland

http://www.uncjin.org/Statistics/statistics.html - Click on ICVS link
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #134
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Go on, call my bluff!

Now you're turn, post information that confirms that Northern Ireland has the most sectarian and homophobic politicians in the whole world

Go on.....call my bluff plankton
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #135
nordisk celt83

I know this way off topic, but I have heard Northern Ireland has a low crime rate. I'd tend to believe it.
All the scary stories from the troubles aside, it's easy to see day-to-day life in NI is safe for the average citizen.
All these stories in the press about how dangerous your locality is tend be sensationalised as it sells newspapers. You'd think the republic is johannesburg the way some people and the papers go on!
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #136
plank007

Quote:
Go on.....call my bluff plankton
Nothing spoof about it, I'll email you test marks for the economics degree if you wish.....directly pasted from the Queens QSIS portal.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #137
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
You'd think the republic is johannesburg the way some people and the papers go on!
Ahhhhh it is.....third world or have you forgetten already

That's a jk btw ffs. Before people start throwing their pints of Guinness out of the pram
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #138
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Nothing spoof about it, I'll email you test marks for the economics degree if you wish.....directly pasted from the Queens QSIS portal.
Sorry plankton, but if you're going to post a comment like that about NI politicians then you have to back it up. Otherwise you just come across as a bit naive and lacking in much global awareness.

I'll wait.......

Just to remind you...

Quote:
We have some of worst sectarian & homophobic politicians in the World
Source please?
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #139
plank007

No need...

I'll email you test marks for the economics degree if you wish.....directly pasted from the Queens QSIS portal.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #140
nordisk celt83

Quote:
Ahhhhh it is.....third world or have you forgetten already

That's a jk btw ffs. Before people start throwing their pints of Guinness out of the pram
I know, I know. A good enough joke at that too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: