daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM   #201
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Some serious updates of highway improvements in Estonia, nice to hear that! May be there are some works going on already now on any roads?

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM   #202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
The reconstruction of E263 between Aruvalla and Kose will finally begin this year. It will be reconstructed into a 4-lane first class road with limited access and grade-separated junctions. Here's the video I've already posted in this thread before:
Looking at this video, I think it's time for Estonia to formally introduce motorway status
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:48 PM   #203
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Looking at this video, I think it's time for Estonia to formally introduce motorway status
Tell me about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Some serious updates of highway improvements in Estonia, nice to hear that! May be there are some works going on already now on any roads?
Yes, there are. For example, the old concrete par of the E20 between Tallinn border and Maardu is being demolished on one side at the moment. It's still too cold to do asphalt works so nothing much isn't going on....yet.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; April 23rd, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #204
Tin_Can

Quote:
Tell me about it...

Yes, there are. For example, the old concrete par of the E20 between Tallinn border and Maardu is being demolished on one side at the moment. It's still too cold to do asphalt works so nothing much isn't going on....yet.
Btw,did you know that this concrete part on St.Petersburg Highway,Tallinn metro area,was built after WW II by German POWs same way as pre-war era German Autobahns? And that only major repair it had,was in 1960s Talk about history of this road.

Last edited by Tin_Can; April 23rd, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM   #205
Rebasepoiss

Yep, I did. And for some time it was the busiest part of the Estonian highway network. It wasn't the surface quality that bothered me most about this road, though. It was the fact that all the junctions were at-grade. So if you were coming from Iru and wanted to drive towards Narva, you had to make a right turn, then race trucks and other traffic across two lanes and make a U-turn. After that you again had to race the traffic and squeeze between it....it was a fu**ing hell-hole.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #206
S.T.A.S.
Stas Stolfat

Likes (Received): 5

When coming from the east and near the river pirita, it always starts to get bumpy, for me its like an alarm, because the car will hit the pot-holes and u will suddenly wake up and know you're 15 mins from the airport. I am so glad this road will be redone properly...at last!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
S.T.A.S. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #207
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

There are plans to start reconstruction of the Romeda - Haljala section (E20) at the end of the year:
http://romeda-haljala.ramboll.ee/index.php?lang=en
And to build a new grade separated junction on E67 near Tallinn:
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08136_Ee..._Leht_T-2A.pdf

Quote:
Tallinn-Narva 50.3-70.6km repair works. But only repair works. The U-turns and the same level junctions stay.

Also Viitna bypass construction should have started, but I am not sure. It will be a new 4 lane section (70,6-78,9km, E20). Construction began in 1989, but due to the collapse of the Soviet Union, the project has been on hold since 1990.

Quote:
Tell this to the road engineers over here. But until they stick strictly to Ist class road standards when building dual carriageways, I don't care that much.
But they don't.
-Parnu bypass. 4-lanes. Traffic lights, 70/50km/h speed limit.
-Mao bypass. The reconstructed Parnu-Rakvere highway section is said to be 1 class 4 lane highway for 1.4km out of 2.3km. But it is a joke! Same level crossings and those additional lanes used as acceleration and deceleration lanes.
-Purposed Tartu-Elva highway section. 4-lanes, with U-turns.
-Purposed Rakvere-Someru. 1 class, will have roundabouts.

Quote:
Btw,did you know that this concrete part on St.Petersburg Highway,Tallinn metro area,was built after WW II by German POWs same way as pre-war era German Autobahns? And that only major repair it had,was in 1960s Talk about history of this road.
This road section has nothing to do with the Germans. It was totally rebuild in 1967, from scratch, including widening from 2 lanes to 2+2 lanes. It was the first highway in Estonia to have 4 lanes and a median.
The old German road is long gone. There are no visible traces of it left since 1980. But you could see it, when they removed the pavement, during the 2005 E20 reconstruction works.

But think about it. This road was in service for 40 years without repairs! I highly doubt, that this new road will hold for 5 years.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #208
Rebasepoiss

On Monday, 3rd of May, speed limits will rise once again for the summer from 90km/h to 100km/h and 110km/h. Here's a map of increased speed limits: http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/Piirkiirused_2010.pdf
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #209
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

In Lithuania, we raise speed limit in motorways from 110 km/h to 130 km/h on 1st April. It seem, that in Estonia winter goes away later
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #210
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
...But think about it. This road was in service for 40 years without repairs! I highly doubt, that this new road will hold for 5 years.
Yea,those new roads don't have a really long life expectancy (mostly because of cheap materials & construction methods used),but I would not point out that stretch on St.Petersburg Highway as something remarkable...last 20 or so years it has been one of the worst highway sections in Estonia in terms of road surface quality (there isn't any!) & road safety. Honestly,I'm suprised that there hasn't been higher number of accidents (just imagine going there 100km/h and losing control over a car)

Anyway,it's really good that this section of E20 get's finally rebuilt
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #211
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
But they don't.
-Parnu bypass. 4-lanes. Traffic lights, 70/50km/h speed limit.
-Mao bypass. The reconstructed Parnu-Rakvere highway section is said to be 1 class 4 lane highway for 1.4km out of 2.3km. But it is a joke! Same level crossings and those additional lanes used as acceleration and deceleration lanes.
-Purposed Tartu-Elva highway section. 4-lanes, with U-turns.
-Purposed Rakvere-Someru. 1 class, will have roundabouts.

But think about it. This road was in service for 40 years without repairs! I highly doubt, that this new road will hold for 5 years.
Pärnu bypass is not a I class road anyway, it's a city street. It would've been pointless to build grade-separated junctions because if traffic density goes up high enough, they'll build another bypass completely out of Pärnu.

Don't know why the Mäo bypass is being built this way, probably becuase traffic density isn't high enough.

It has been decided that Tartu-Elva will not be upgraded to a I class road due to low traffic density. But since the traffic density is so low, building a motorway-like road would be insane anyway. And the proposed project had 2 U-turns for the whole way, which seems more reasonable than spending € 10 million on an extra junction.

Where did you get the information that Rakvere-Sõmeru will be built as a I class road? It will be 2x2 lanes, yes, but I class?

I do think that we should start building motorway-standard roads to clearly make a distinction between a 2x2 and a 2x2. One with at-grade junctions, narrower hard-shoulders, unlimited acces. The other with grade-separated junctions, wider hard-shoulders, limited access.

And about roads lasting 5 years: There's a large part of Via Baltica that was reconstructed more than 5 years ago and it looks pretty good even today. It has a lot to do with traffic density, though.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #212
Rebasepoiss

At the moment, a public vote among the citizens of Tallinn is being held whether to lower the speed limit in the city centre to 40km/h or not. Recently a research was made which showed that lowering the speed limit would increase traffic safety and decrease the number of pedestrian deaths by 20%. More important arterial streets would still have a speed limit of 50km/h, though.

IMO, a public vote is not a good option in this matter. Speed limits aren't beloved by most people anyway so why would they want to lower them. Today, most people drive 55-60km/h in the city, so a better solution would be to enforce the current speed limit so people would actually follow it.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #213
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

I don't really get the point. Most residential areas already have a 40kph speed limit and on the bigger roads there are pedestrian crossings only with traffic lights..
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #214
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
I don't really get the point. Most residential areas already have a 40kph speed limit and on the bigger roads there are pedestrian crossings only with traffic lights..
I'd say most of the small streets in Tallinn still have a speed limit of 50km/h. A speed limit of 40km/h is very rarely used.
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #215
Tin_Can

Quote:
At the moment, a public vote among the citizens of Tallinn is being held whether to lower the speed limit in the city centre to 40km/h or not. Recently a research was made which showed that lowering the speed limit would increase traffic safety and decrease the number of pedestrian deaths by 20%. More important arterial streets would still have a speed limit of 50km/h, though.

IMO, a public vote is not a good option in this matter. Speed limits aren't beloved by most people anyway so why would they want to lower them. Today, most people drive 55-60km/h in the city, so a better solution would be to enforce the current speed limit so people would actually follow it.
Where can I vote NO? I find it useless..how are they going to enforce it? Most drivers even now exceed 50km/h speed limit within Tallinn,so they suddenly expect that drivers will follow 40km/h limit?

My point is that it's one of those pseudo problems,meant for diverting public attention from more pressing issues - redesigning few of most dangerous interchanges,creating better traffic scheme (some locations are deadly for both pedestrians & car drivers),building sidewalks for pedestrians (in places you simply can't walk around,'cos there aren't any sidewalks..there's only a road for cars ),placing traffic lights on most needed places & fixing existing traffic lights.

For example - to get to my work,I need to cross St.Petersburg highway with it's heavy traffic. I can do it in three different locations near my workplace and on all those locations pedestrian traffic lights don't work,meaning that I have to cross the road with red light & on a really dangerous way. Btw,those pedestrian traffic lights are with buttons,i.e. you need to press the button to switch lights. I'd say,probably only 75% of such traffic lights really work here,rest of them...well,they are useless. Makes you wonder,if Signaal AS actually provides maintenance to traffic lights at all.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #216
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wikipedia:

Why would they add road 92? Is this road so important?
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there still plans to construct a bridge from the mainland to Saaremaa? (and maybe another one to Hiiuma?)
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #218
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Are there any maps with the existing and/or planned 2+2 roads in Estonia? I know it's possible to track it via Google maps these days but maybe there is some simple map already?

Also, what about a map with traffic volumes?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #219
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Why would they add road 92? Is this road so important?
It's the only road that connects Pärnu, Viljandi and Tartu, so yes, it's rather important.

Quote:
Are there still plans to construct a bridge from the mainland to Saaremaa? (and maybe another one to Hiiuma?)
There is a plan but it's not a top priority, especially considering that the traffic flow to Saaremaa is rather small. Traffic between Saaremaa and Hiiumaa is too small to build a bridge there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Are there any maps with the existing and/or planned 2+2 roads in Estonia? I know it's possible to track it via Google maps these days but maybe there is some simple map already?

Also, what about a map with traffic volumes?
For current 2x2 highways, check Michelin's map. There are quite a lot of 2x2 roads planned but most of them won't be built in the next 5 years. I can make a map about 2x2 sections that have a fixed completion date when I'm at home, though.

2009 traffic density map is here: http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/2009_aa...ulemused_9.pdf
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #220
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
It's the only road that connects Pärnu, Viljandi and Tartu, so yes, it's rather important.
But a very crappy road anyway :p. I was on a bus from Pärnu to Viljandi yesterday and it´s really so crappy.. I did see signs that a road reconstruction is planned, but they should build a completely new road that goes directly from Pärnu to Viljandi, so that there´s no big detour like now.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads