daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Is there any map with traffic volumes for Estonia? I think that would answer many questions. Motorways are, of course, cool but like Chris said it's all about the traffic volumes.
http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/2009_aa...ulemused_9.pdf

You have to use "save link as", as opening it doesn't work (by me).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #242
vatse

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Is there any map with traffic volumes for Estonia? I think that would answer many questions. Motorways are, of course, cool but like Chris said it's all about the traffic volumes.
It's a map of traffic volumes on main Estonian roads from last year - http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/2009_aa...ulemused_9.pdf

And traffic around some bigger towns - http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/2009_aa...emused_102.pdf

Newly built 2+2 expressways in Estonia are actually enough for the traffic density we have as these are also without level crossings and have a good network of feeder roads and so on. All the current bigger road projects are also co-financed by EU. There is just no need for expressway network across Estonia as we have only little bit more than 1 million people for a country same size like Netherlands or Switzerland.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #243
Tin_Can

More important is the population density. With only few large cities,there isn't much to be connected with motorways. Only few roads would need to be motorways,probably most needed one is Tallinn-Tartu route - due to it's dangerous spots & stupid drivers,it would really benefit from being 2+2 lane motorway (or even a expressway) Need for Tallinn-Pärnu and Tallinn-Narva routes to be motorways is minimal,despite being important route connecting EU with Russia.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #244
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.mnt.ee/atp/?id=3538

You can find an English-language PDF about the Saaremaa fixed link, a planned bridge (or tunnel) from Virtsu to the Saaremaa island (technically Humu island). Quite interesting material. In the long term, a bridge is cheaper than the ferry because the increase of traffic causes government subsidies to rise much faster than the income from ferry tickets. It will most likely be a toll bridge (€ 7).

(somehow these direct PDF links from mnt.ee don't work here).
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #245
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectom View Post
I just can't, can't, and can't believe to upper post that 40% of estonian roads are unpaved! What the hell with that, in that case, even Albania has better network!
Estonia has the largest mileage of roads per 1000 people in Europe. It is so because of how our villages have developed. Villages are usually very small and houses are placed far apart from each other. This creates a need for a large amount of roads but doesn't create much traffic. There isn't much point in paving a road that runs in the middle of the forest and carries less than 100 cars a day. There are thousands of kilometres of gravel roads in Finland too, that doesn't necessarily mean that the road network is bad.

Here's a population density map of Estonia:
http://www.tempt.ee/uploads/2501_urban_tihedus.jpg

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; May 16th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep. To compare: Estonia has 1.3 million inhabitants and about 60,000 kilometers of road. The Netherlands has 16.5 million inhabitants and 120,000 kilometers of road. Albania on the other hand has only 18,00 kilometers of road.

to sum up;

paved roads:
Estonia 36,000 km
population: 1.3 million
36 people per paved km

Netherlands 110,000 km
population: 16.5 million
150 people per paved km

Albania: 12,000 km
populatioon: 3.2 million
267 people per paved km

DR Congo: 2,500 km
population: 66 million
26400 people per paved km

Quite a difference.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #247
vectom

Likes (Received): 967

where did you get these data, any cumulative statistics for European countries? link?

btw, I asked these questions on a previous page without knowing this basic data that Estonia has only a little bit more than a million people! Yes, shame on me
But thought that Estonia got at least 3-4
thanks again everyone.
vectom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #248
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Same for Latvia, we have so many paved roads, sometimes you can travel 50km and meet not a single car on a road.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #249
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Tnx, Chris, for that link with information about Saaremaa bridge. I really dreamed about this at least in plans! (even though it doesn't work here as well, it is still a great proof that once there will appear permanent connection between continental Estonia and Saaremaa!)
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #250
Rebasepoiss

If anyone's interested, there's a thorough 2009 Annual Report by Estonian Road Administration(in English). Again, you have to right click and "save as", otherwise it doesn't work. .
http://www.mnt.ee/atp/?id=42109
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #251
S.T.A.S.
Stas Stolfat

Likes (Received): 5

What baffles me about that Johvi-Kukruse junction is this: they built about 10 new viaducts and bridges in the countryside for the " farmers tractors" basically, yet the Estonian government wont subsidise or at least finance some part of the johvi railway viaduct, which is in the centre of the city...that viaduct can literally fall any day, as they already shortened it from 2 x 2 to 1 x 1 road. Just somethin I thought about.

I've driven on gravel roads all my life and I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with it, you only need time to get used to it...at least on a gravel road the driver is more aware, to avoid any potholes, whereas on the motorway he just sits back and steers the wheel
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
S.T.A.S. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #252
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.S. View Post
What baffles me about that Johvi-Kukruse junction is this: they built about 10 new viaducts and bridges in the countryside for the " farmers tractors" basically, yet the Estonian government wont subsidise or at least finance some part of the johvi railway viaduct, which is in the centre of the city...that viaduct can literally fall any day, as they already shortened it from 2 x 2 to 1 x 1 road. Just somethin I thought about.
The problem was that Jõhvi city council insisted on building a tunnel there but that would've required too much money. Now that the City Council has decided that they accept also other alternatives other than the tunnel, Estonian Road Administration decided to fund the renovation of the bridge and the Western bypass of Jõhvi with EEK 272 million(€ 17,4 million). Estonian Road Administration wants to re-route heavy trucks to bypass the town by the Western bypass. The City Council, however, doesn't think that a bypass would solve the traffic problems and believes a large interchange in the centre of the town with a new bridge over the railways would be a better solution.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #253
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

^ Must admit that's a very typical situation here in Baltics! Hardly any small city's council would be interested in creating a bypass around its city/town due to the money they wouldn't manage to put in their pockets.. Also, for them bypasses are not a priority as the flow as they think would never rise and it's all pointless.. Just really old-thinking..
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #254
jkk

Likes (Received): 85

Aerial of the Mäo bypass
[IMG]http://i47.************/k4huoh.jpg[/IMG]
jkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #255
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Google Earth:
[IMG]http://i49.************/24oabn8.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM   #256
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Layout of the Mäo bypass:
http://kaart.otsing.delfi.ee/index.p...Date=2010.5.22
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #257
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder if that southern interchange is really necessary. It serves no traffic, only some forest roads that could also use the northern interchange.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM   #258
RipleyLV

^ The road from that junction also goes to Mäo.

Kukruse-Jõhvi section construction on Tallinn-Narva highway is visible in these maps:
http://kaart.otsing.delfi.ee/index.p...Date=2010.5.22
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
^ The road from that junction also goes to Mäo.
Which has.... 10 inhabitants?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #260
RipleyLV

Well for some important reason they are building this junction.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads