daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM   #341
albeva

Likes (Received): 25

nice
albeva no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM   #342
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

And SUCH terrific highway wouldn't still get a motorway status?! Looks just really impressive, what to say..!
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM   #343
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Why do they insist on using such tiny overhead signs...? :/
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM   #344
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Today the most expensive highway construction project(Kukruse - Jõhvi section on E20) in Estonia was officially opened.
A very good project. Well done. Could you possibly tell me what is the average price per km, please?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM   #345
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Why do you still use shields for the junctions which are up-side-down?

I think everywere in other countries they are turned on the other way like the picture down

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #346
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
A very good project. Well done. Could you possibly tell me what is the average price per km, please?
Well, the stretch is 7,2 km and total costs were 628m EEK (40m EUR), so it works out to about 87m EEK (5,5m EUR) per km. Of course, the price always depends on how many junctions and how many additional local roads need to be built.
Grisent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM   #347
S.T.A.S.
Stas Stolfat

Likes (Received): 5

Thats a good road rite there...how mich will the vao-maardu stretch cost? I bet it will be double kukruse-johvi, cause its like 4 x 4, more or less.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
S.T.A.S. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM   #348
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
Well, the stretch is 7,2 km and total costs were 628m EEK (40m EUR), so it works out to about 87m EEK (5,5m EUR) per km. Of course, the price always depends on how many junctions and how many additional local roads need to be built.
Of course. Thank you very much. Maybe expropriation costs were also high?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:18 PM   #349
albeva

Likes (Received): 25

the cost here was considerably larger because of the old mine tunnels below the ground. Whole area is dug up beneath.
albeva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:19 PM   #350
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
And SUCH terrific highway wouldn't still get a motorway status?! Looks just really impressive, what to say..!
and thanks!

Here's what I think... Estonian population density is at a point where:

* Inter-city traffic levels are still rather low. A handful of trunk roads get 5000...8000 AADT, others significantly less. Therefore, (in terms of raw throughput!), current road network outside towns will be perfectly adequate for the next 10 or so years.

* Towns are undergoing a significant urban sprawl. That means rapidly expanding suburban settlements, much more commuter traffic, more business and industrial areas and shopping malls in the suburban areas. Current road network does not separate different types of traffic (pedestrians, public transport, local traffic, intercity traffic) enough and it lacks safety.

Therefore, most reconstruction projects that are currently underway or will be started in the next few years, are focused not so much on moving long-distance traffic faster, but to eliminate dangerous hotspots and organise commuter traffic better.

Consequently, new roads will have a dense junction structure and rather limited speeds (110 if we're lucky, but 90 is more likely). I am willing to bet a full tank of gas on no motorways in Estonia before 2020
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #351
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Why do you still use shields for the junctions which are up-side-down?

I think everywere in other countries they are turned on the other way like the picture down.
Hm, I must have missed the memo about upwards-pointing fork shields having become compulsory, worldwide.

As I mentioned sometime earlier, both designs are provided in the traffic code. (Blue downwards-pointing one was the older one). But you are right -- it's a bit weird that all these years have passed and there is still no clear preference or recommendation and new roads happily feature both designs.

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM   #352
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.S. View Post
Thats a good road rite there...how mich will the vao-maardu stretch cost? I bet it will be double kukruse-johvi, cause its like 4 x 4, more or less.
4x4?! Ouch.... Interstate 95 would be a cowpath compared to that

Actually, Väo-Maardu will be only half as much, 380m EEK, but that does not include Väo interchange, which is still in planning stage.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #353
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
Hm, I must have missed the memo about upwards-pointing fork shields having become compulsory, worldwide.

As I mentioned sometime earlier, both designs are provided in the traffic code. (Blue downwards-pointing one was the older one). But you are right -- it's a bit weird that all these years have passed and there is still no clear preference or recommendation and new roads happily feature both designs.

But look at the picture down here. That road is very new. But it still have the shield for the junction up-side-down. Why didn't they use a new one which are not up-side-down? I think this is strange. For many years ago they were up-side-down in Sweden too, but all of them are changed since at least 25-30 years ago.

Quote:
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #354
Grisent

A series of pictures of 2 / E263, from Tallinn to Mäo. First part of the post covers the journey from Tallinn to Jüri.

Starting from town centre.

Tartu maantee was renovated and widened a few years ago. It used to be 1+1, with trams in the middle of the road and an awful pavement, being quite a disgrace for the main artery between airport and town centre.

Much better now.

Upon completion, the public commented that these posts and chains separating road and sidewalk feel like St. Petersburg.

Approaching Ülemiste. Being the largest traffic interchange in Tallinn, it connects a number of important roads (T2, T1, and Järvevana tee, which is basically a southern bypass for central Tallinn), provides access to a large industrial district, features a gigantic shopping mall and has Tallinn-Narva mainline railway running through it.

Space is quite limited, but at least there are plans to grade-separate the east-west route from Peterburi tee to Järvevana tee, by building a viaduct over 2 / E263 and the railway. Together with a ton of local and access roads and possibly a tunnel connection to Laagna tee (another eastern artery), it will be the biggest and most expensive road project in Tallinn.

There should be a video animation of the project somewhere earlier this thread.

Airport on the left. IMHO, signage is much too small and seriously lacking (there should be at least an advance sign)

Mõigu area is a quite problematic bottleneck on the 2 / E263. The road runs through a residential area, slowing traffic down and being very dangerous.

Bypassing the settlement is out of the question (T2 is squeezed between Lake Ülemiste and the airport), so the road needs to be widened. Roadside land can be bought or expropriated, but there still won't be enough space to build local roads and a decent junction. Planners are considering either a long flyover or a tunnel.

Perhaps they should try stacking carriageways on top of one another, Japanese-style

Border of Tallinn.

Erected by Tallinn town administration and the whole setup slightly reminding a graveyard gate , it was mocked a lot for the message on the LED display. Head teed! (Bon voyage!) can be simultaneously interpreted as "Good roads!". Which is a most appropriate statement, considering the very shabby street pavement in Tallinn, compared to national roads.

2+2 section starts again. Speed limit is 110 km/h

Between Tallinn border and Aruvalla (where 2+2 ends, after about 22 km), there are 5 junctions on T2 (Assaku, Jüri, Patika, Vaida and Aruvalla), although these are officially neither named nor numbered.

Assaku village got a noise barrier this year.

T2 / T11 interchange approaching. (Pavement is being renewed). The interchange is a giant roundabout (with a flyover for T2), but it might be upgraded to a cloverleaf if T11 gets widened to 2+2.

Surprisingly and inexplicably, the roundabout is not round, but egg-shaped. So watch out when cruising around there -- at one point you need to brake hard.

Old September 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #355
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks, Grisent! Keep up the good work!

Quote:
When UNECE announced its resolutions in the beginning of 2006 and 2008 respectively, empty spaces were filled and numbers "263" and "264" pasted onto all direction signs.
There are still some blank ones left. I remember seeing one in the port of Muuga a week ago. But I haven't paid attention, which road number it should have been.

Quote:
Roadside land can be bought or expropriated, but there still won't be enough space to build local roads and a decent junction. Planners are considering either a long flyover or a tunnel.

Perhaps they should try stacking carriageways on top of one another, Japanese-style
If I remember correctly, it is going to be widened to a simple 2+2 road by the Tallinn town administration in the next few years. Tunnels or flyovers won't happen at all - too expensive. The solution purposed by the Estonian road administration http://moigu.teedeprojekt.ee/get_fil...document_id=24, most likely won't be build till 2020, or even 2030.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #356
maanus_j

Likes (Received): 26

Some pictures from E20 / Tallinn-Narva (and construction works on this road) from Tallinn to Lahemaa (the national park some 50 km east of Tallinn) and back.

Getting out of Tallinn: Laagna Road, also known as the Channel, in Lasnamäe. 4 lanes at this place.

The road narrows gradually down: 2 lanes now, plus there are 2 uncomfortable pedestrian crossings in this last section of the road, which limit speed to 50 km/h.

On E20 now, Pirita River is also the border of Tallinn, construction works of the Loo-Maardu section start after the river. The new road will have 4 lanes in both directions at this place (you can see how wide the new road will be).

Overpass of the railway line to Muuga port. Temporarily only 1 lane in this direction.

Cutting of the tunnel (on the left side of the image) which will go under the road and the railway overpass. Lots of solid limestone has to be dug out.

Towards Maardu: only 2 lanes now. The new highway on the right has already first layers of asphalt.
I guess that due to the construction works and constantly heavy traffic this Loo-Maardu section has a lot of accidents: a month or so ago I saw somewhere around the point where the photo is taken a pile-up of 8 or 9 vehicles (damage to all vehicles was really minor, but still, accidents with that many vehicles are uncommon in Estonia).

The new overpass to Maardu and Muuga

Past Maardu: seems the new highway will be more or less completely flat. There is a small hollow here, which will be all made level.

Last junction of Loo-Maardu: the sign indicates the direction to Tallinn landfill.

Beginning of the expressway. Not much interesting here - E20 east of Tallinn with 2+2 lanes is a rather dull highway in my opinion. You just set your cruise control to 110+ and then... just drive.

First junction at Jägala: some smaller highways going north to the coast, secondary road 13 going inland

323 km to St. Petersburg

Turning off from E20 at Kuusalu (40 km from Tallinn)

Traffic density on these smaller roads is rather low, so the junctions have usually very simple configuration: traffic that turned off from the expressway has to give way. Kuusalu and Kiiu (previous junction before Kuusalu) junctions also have a roundabout on the northern side of the expressway (next image).

Driving on a smaller road now: the old Tallinn-Narva highway past Kuusalu, bordered with some suburban development (the farther houses fell a victim to the economic crisis and are still incomplete).

Now in Lahemaa, driving on an even smaller road (but a lot more interesting to drive than the 2+2 lane expressway!). It's still a road managed by the national road administration (tertiary highway, the lowest level of highways), though it has an AADT of 75 and there's only 1 house by its side (and that house is also 200 m from the end of the road).

Another tertiary road, which was recently paved - thanks to construction works on E20 again (reconstruction of Liiapeksi-Viitna section). The road is covered with old asphalt and then paved with a layer of bitumen and gravel (Bituminous Surface Treatment - I guess that's what this kind of paving is called in English). Still lots of loose gravel, that's why there's the speed limit.
Speaking of national highways (highways managed by the Estonian Road Administration), there are rather few gravel roads left in Northern Estonia. This map shows paved (black) and unpaved (yellow) roads around Lahemaa - of these 7 unpaved roads (or sections of roads) 4 or 5 (don't know exactly) were paved this year.

Now going back towards Tallinn: secondary road 85 (to Loksa, a small coastal town) joining E20.

Reconstruction starts here (that is, coming from Tallinn) and extends some 20 km towards Narva.

Junction at Kahala (next after Kuusalu coming from Tallinn): same simple configuration.

Yay, 412 km to Stockholm! A rather stupid idea in my opinion. Couldn't they at least include some sign of a ferry or something?

Near Jägala. The road has a wide strip of mowed land on both sides - animals crossing the road must be visible from afar.

Jõelähtme. No wide shoulder anymore, bad for cyclists. Also, because of a bridge over a small river, this merge lane is really very short - somewhat dangerous considering the speed limit is 110 km/h.

Loo-Maardu again.

Overpass to Maardu/Muuga from this side. They also have to build a tunnel for a railway branch (the concrete wall on the right side of second image).

The railway overpass at Loo from this direction

The other end of the tunnel under the road and railway overpass will be around here. There was some large steel structure there, maybe for carrying the district heating pipes over the road (The chimney at the background belongs to Iru power plant, which provides district heating to eastern parts of Tallinn).

At the Pirita River again: cyclists and pedestrians will get their own bridge over the river, a reconstructed old railway bridge (at the back, behind the pipes).
maanus_j no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Nice report and welcome!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #358
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Good report. Just a one question: the stretch with 110 km/h speed limit is signed as expressway, or it's just normal 2x2 highway with speed limit set to 110 ?
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #359
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

What's the point of the "Stockholm" destination sign? I didn't know cars can drive on water?! Come on, we're not on a ferry yet. (Technically you can drive through Russia, Finland, Sweden, but it would take much longer than just 412 km).

Or is it supposed to mean that Western Europe is not that far away? Stupid idea, I agree.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

It's not that uncommon to have destinations signed via ferry. Somehow I always wanted London was signed on French A26
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads