daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #441
Tin_Can

Man,you should check news more often Viitna bypass has been U/C for few months now.

Tallinn-Saku highway is U/C again,after Maanteeamet hired Tref AS to finish the work (previous company abandoned works) They hope to pave first layer of new asphalt in this year and finish entire road by summer 2011.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #442
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
According to this http://www.inspirit.ee/maantee/ , Liiapeksi - Loobu won't be finished until the end of July, 2011.
Maybe next year the other carriageway will be renovated?

Road Administration currently indicates that between Pikasaare and Loobu (km 65,0-70,6) the left carriageway will be repaired, too. However, there is no mention of timeframe nor contractor for the job, nor even what kind of renovation work will be done.

Or another possibility -- perhaps I didn't notice and they are planning some major reconstructions on eastbound Loobu bridge, which will not start until next year. Other than that, I honestly cannot imagine what they might be doing on the current construction site until July 2011. All that is left to do is to finish shoulders, paint lines and install signage.

Repaving Pikasaare-Loobu left carriageway would also be doable by July 2011. Although in long term, this stretch should be rebuilt from scratch. It is basically the old 1+1 road repurposed -- it is unleveled and does not have an emergency lane. And Loobu bridge on the left carriageway looks seriously dilapidated and it doesn't even have two full-width lanes.

Quote:
BTW, I had no idea that Viitna bypass is already being built. That means next autumn we will have 8.3km of brand new dual carriageway.
The bypass is still in an early stage, the builders are moving earth and sand around and the carriageways have not quite taken shape yet.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #443
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
Tallinn-Kanama (Saue) section of the Tallinn - Parnu highway is fully lit, has a wide median. After Topi and Saue interchanges will be build, there won't be any at-grade crossings or U-turns. It is longer than 4km. A perfect candidate!
I have one more requirement - Kanama interchange needs physically separated collector-distributor lanes. For example, when making the loop from Keila towards Tallinn, getting dumped onto the carriageway is somewhat unsettling. If that is done, the road could be a motorway up to Ääsmäe.

What is "Saue interchange" referring to?
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #444
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1314

Are there any maps to show exact location of roads U/C in Estonia?
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #445
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Are there any maps to show exact location of roads U/C in Estonia?
Well, this map http://www.inspirit.ee/maantee/map/index.html?locale=en shows roadworks in Estonia and the speed restrictions. Unfortunately the descriptions of the roadworks are in Estonian.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #446
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Road Administration currently indicates that between Pikasaare and Loobu (km 65,0-70,6) the left carriageway will be repaired, too. However, there is no mention of timeframe nor contractor for the job, nor even what kind of renovation work will be done.
Construction should start later this year or early next year, after the right carriageway is done. All of the construction on the Valgejõe - Rõmeda stretch should be done by the end of 2011. (Based on http://www.virumaateataja.ee/?id=96383).

Quote:
Repaving Pikasaare-Loobu left carriageway would also be doable by July 2011. Although in long term, this stretch should be rebuilt from scratch. It is basically the old 1+1 road repurposed -- it is unleveled and does not have an emergency lane. And Loobu bridge on the left carriageway looks seriously dilapidated and it doesn't even have two full-width lanes.
I Pikasaare-Loobu section will be rebuild from scratch. Like they did with the old 1+1 2km section of the Liiapeksi - Loobu strech on the right carriageway. This includes the construction of the new left Loobu bridge.

Quote:
I have one more requirement - Kanama interchange needs physically separated collector-distributor lanes.
I think there is enough space between the bridge abutment and the carriageway to fit one, but I doubt they are going to build it.
BTW. During the ramp reconstruction, they have changed the road surface marking. Now driving from Keila to Tallinn, you end up on the "independent" acceleration lane.

Quote:
What is "Saue interchange" referring to?
The new interchange which would allow direct access between the village of Saue and E67, can be seen here (between Topi and Kanama):
http://viabaltica.hendrikson.ee/uplo...km%2012-25.pdf
The official name for it is different.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #447
Grisent

Quote:
I think there is enough space between the bridge abutment and the carriageway to fit one, but I doubt they are going to build it.
BTW. During the ramp reconstruction, they have changed the road surface marking. Now driving from Keila to Tallinn, you end up on the "independent" acceleration lane.
Hm. To my mind, it looks like this at the moment:

Which means that when entering from the loop, I happily cruise right into other drivers' deceleration lane.

Quote:
The new interchange which would allow direct access between the village of Saue and E67, can be seen here (between Topi and Kanama):
http://viabaltica.hendrikson.ee/uplo...km%2012-25.pdf
The official name for it is different.
Good link, thanks.

By the way, the distance between junctions thus shrinks to roughly 900, 1400 and 1800 m, respectively -- or *slightly* below the recommended 5 km for suburban motorways (or 3 km for suburban dual carriageways) Which in turn makes 4 / E67 much less likely to attain motorway status.
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #448
Hasper

Quote:
Which means that when entering from the loop, I happily cruise right into other drivers' deceleration lane.
It used to be this way. But they've changed that.
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #449
Grisent

Ah, OK.
Well, it's a step in the right direction.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #450
Hasper

Now it is official. Construction completion date of the Liiapeksi - Loobu stretch (E20) is late summer/fall 2011. Originally to be opened a week ago, it is now delayed for a year. Way to go Nordecon!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:49 PM   #451
Rebasepoiss

I really do hope that some hefty fines are waiting to be handed out...this is absurd!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #452
S.T.A.S.
Stas Stolfat

Likes (Received): 5

What is the cause of the delay anyone know?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
S.T.A.S. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM   #453
Rebasepoiss

http://www.e24.ee/?id=345341

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #454
Rebasepoiss

As this subject came up in the German Highway thread, I'd like to share a similar example from Estonia. It's a territorial oddity in South-East Estonia. Road nr 18178 which connects Värska and Saatse, runs through Russian territory on a 800m section. No visa is required but you are not allowed to stop or walk on this road. It's called Saatse saabas("boot" in English)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...45447&t=h&z=15

by Uku Praks

From http://www.goestonia.ee/index.php?y=274
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #455
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
As this subject came up in the German Highway thread, I'd like to share a similar example from Estonia. It's a territorial oddity in South-East Estonia. Road nr 18178 which connects Värska and Saatse, runs through Russian territory on a 800m section.
That territory is legally Estonia but still occupied by Russia.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #456
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Wow, this is interesting. Is there a detailed map of it? I'd like to try it. What happens if you stop or walk? Are Russians in charge there or is it some kind of "demilitarized" zone or a dual-control area? Why did this happen anyway?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #457
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Wow, this is interesting. Is there a detailed map of it? I'd like to try it. What happens if you stop or walk? Are Russians in charge there or is it some kind of "demilitarized" zone or a dual-control area? Why did this happen anyway?
This territory in fact belongs to Russia according to the current "temporary" control line but I have no idea why this piece of land has to be on the Russian side. There is no active control on this road but if you happen to jog through there or stop your car for too long, you may be arrested by Russian border guard(and this has actually happened several times) A friend of mine rode through there on a bike and fortunately wasn't stopped

I couldn't find a good map of this particular area, though.

This Saatse "boot" would've been given to Estonia if the border treaty had been signed in 2005...

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; November 28th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #458
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Ok, it can be seen in Google Maps. It won't be apparent in map mode but it's clearly seen in sattelite mode. This is indeed very exciting. I may want to visit that place some day http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...,0.045447&z=15
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #459
maanus_j

Likes (Received): 26

Maanteeamet has apparently started tender for the Kroodi interchange, which is complementary to the currently under construction Loo-Maardu section.
There doesn't seem to be any plans available yet, but afaik it should look something like this.
So 2 new railway overpasses will be built and all traffic can access E20 via the new grade separated junction currently under construction there. Also the road to Port of Muuga (Põhjaranna tee) will be renovated.

Edit: General plan of Maardu (pdf, 8.7 MB) also shows the probable traffic scheme.

Last edited by maanus_j; December 10th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
maanus_j no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #460
Hasper

Quote:
Maanteeamet has apparently started tender for the Kroodi interchange
Only the first part of it.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any plans available yet,
You can see the interchange here:
http://www.mnt.ee/atp/failid/tn2006est.pdf

Quote:
but afaik it should look something like this.
Not exactly. Roundabout is part of the existing project. They are already building it. The bridge connecting Kombinaadi and Keemikute streets is not included in the 1st part of the project.

Step 1 of Kroodi Interchange construction.
New road construction:
-Põhjaranna tee construction ca 1,8 km
-Vana-Narva maantee construction ca 1,5 km
-Roads for pedestrians and bicyclists ca 1,8 km

Two viaducts will be build:
"Viaduct 1" 9 spans, length ca 200 m, width ca 16 m.
"Viaduct 2", 2 spans, length ca 60 m, width ca 22 m.

The project also includes reconstruction of Põhjaranna tee (km 2,39- km 3,44) to bring it up to III class standard.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads