daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #481
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
No way, Finland had 270 traffic fatalities in 2010. That translates to 50 deaths per million.
Weird... in this (Russian) article written 1.2 per 100 000 in 2009.

BTW, in Russia more than 24 000 last year, too much of course, but it is the minimal level, every year decreasing by 8-10%
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #482
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
yes, estonia have borded the Titanic of CURR€NCY. Soon the €uro will hit the Iceberg when Romania and Bulgaria also join. I'm glad Sweden still have their "krona"
As you may know, Sweden has no "opt-out" so sooner or later it will have to adopt the Euro.
Btw, your statement above is one of the most simplistic things I've ever read.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #483
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
As you may know, Sweden has no "opt-out" so sooner or later it will have to adopt the Euro.
But surely, like the UK, they are trying to make it go as far into later as possible? In the UK we have 6 conditions (relating to the compatibility of the UK and Eurozone economies and won't be challenged as having a large but disparate economy join the Eurozone will scupper the whole project) that when met will enable joining to take place. Given that the conditions will never be met, and that joining the Euro will likely need a referendum, which it'll not win, the UK has a plan for joining the Euro - it's not opted-out of joining it but never will actually opt-in.
Quote:
Btw, your statement above is one of the most simplistic things I've ever read.
Indeed, it rules out the possibility that it'll hit the iceberg before Bulgaria or Romania join, or that it's hit it already, or even that the Euro-ship even needs to hit an iceberg to sink, having been of a design that needed sticking tape solutions to keep it afloat from the beginning.

Anyway, all this is off topic, other than this plea: Estonia, while your economy does well because the European Central Bank treats it like Germany's - in need of constant stimulus via low interest rates promoting spending and borrowing, don't overstretch yourselves when it comes to all that cheap credit you'll have to build infrastructure like Ireland, Spain and Greece.

Estonia - your infrastructure has been reaping the benefits of cheap credit for a short time already, while you've had fixed exchange rates with the Eurozone, but now you are in the Euro, you are passed the point of no return - you can't drop out (which the UK did in the 1990s when it was just fixed exchange rates) or devalue the currency (which the UK did in the 2000s, after doing the silly over-stimulating even without devolving fiscal policy to Frankfurt as keeping fiscal policy local doesn't mean that you don't end up with buffoons in charge) now in order to keep your economy from getting into worse problems, so learn from the examples of the PIIGS and don't go over-the-top with the infrastructure glut that's easy to do with the cheap credit (hopefully the lenders will help you by not giving you more than you can manage, but an assumption that Germany would rather back the loans rather than see the Euro fail won't help there).
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #484
sotonsi

Hence why I said that this was off-topic, other than the plea for restraint to not spend a bucket load of money, given the cheap credit that comes from ECB fiscal policy (and despite the credit crunch, will still be there thanks to the bailing out of the Euro by forcing Ireland and Greece to take on a load more debt and cripple their economies more), on roads like Ireland and Spain and Greece did.

If you read all my post, you'd know that I came back on topic, discussing Estonia being the Euro and what it might mean for Highways...

This thread is also not about griping about thread drift, so I apologise for this completely off-topic post responding to a completely off-topic post. Unlike my last one, I didn't bring it back on topic.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #485
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
But surely, like the UK, they are trying to make it go as far into later as possible? [...]the UK has a plan for joining the Euro - it's not opted-out of joining it but never will actually opt-in.
No, UK has indeed opted out, so it could stay off the Euro forever. Denmark is the only other nation which opted out. End off topic.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #486
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

With regard to infrastructure funding, I say the government's current strategy is mostly focused on using EU structural fund grants, rather than taking loans. There is a boatload of money waiting to be used - 1,15bn € allocated from Cohesion Fund and 1,86bn € from ERDF, both for 2007-2013.

Here's a list of EU support-eligible infrastructure projects (in Estonian), approved by the government in 2008. Most projects listed here are expected to be 75%...80% funded by EU, some up to 100% (I've no idea how that works).

It definitely won't be possible to use all the money as planned - projects will go over deadlines, procurements will fail etc. However, what is important is that practically every larger infrastructure project that is being considered at all, is also featured on the list.

Recently completed road projects have worked out as follows:
E20 Kukruse-Jõhvi 2x2 - total 40m €, 30% from EU (that was a bit of a failure :-P)
E263 Mäo bypass 2x2 - total 31m €, 79% from EU

And ongoing projects
E20 Loo-Maardu 2x3 - total 24m €, 80% from EU
E67 Pärnu bypass - total 51m €, 80% from EU

So, it seems the Estonian government is fortunate enough that it doesn't currently need to consider large infrastructure loans, and it hasn't done any significant borrowing so far. On the contrary - economists have pointed out that all the cheap credit that Swedish banks poured into Estonian economy in the last few yeas, had no other results besides increasing domestic consumption and raising private debt.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #487
Grisent

Here are a few photos I took this weekend — on a pretty random route through some industrial suburbs of Tallinn:

Right lane is... closed.

On the Tallinn bypass (T11).

A new sign that has apparently been installed this autumn. (Here's the previous one.)

T1 (E20). Here starts the Väo-Maardu stretch that is currently being renovated, grade-separated and widened to 2x3.
There's not much to report, though, since everything is covered with snow at the moment.

Old January 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #488
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Hey, thanks for the pictures .

Any news on the ice roads status? Is mainland - Muhu route opened? And is there a site where I can check the status of the roads?

I might want to use it on the 21st/22nd of February.

edit: Found the right page, but no information: http://www.mnt.ee/index.php?id=10650
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #489
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

The temperatures have been rather mild and the thick snow acts like a warm blanket so it's not really certain whether we will see ice roads at all this year.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #490
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Interesting. I have plans to visit Tallinn this year.

Just curious: Where the signs in Soviet-times also in Latin alphabet or in cyrillic (or both)?
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #491
Grisent

Signs were written in both scripts - Estonian place names had a Russian transliteration below. An example (from 1987?):

(source: probably lifted from the now-defunct tallinn.mashke.org)

The transliterated signs disappeared rather quickly in the beginning of the 90's, due to the new Estonian language law declaring them unlawful. But I guess there weren't a lot to begin with; Soviet-era roads had little signage and it was rather poor for navigation purposes. Only towns and larger settlements were indicated; advance signs could be found on only the largest junctions.
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #492
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
Soviet-era roads had little signage and it was rather poor for navigation purposes. Only towns and larger settlements were indicated; advance signs could be found on only the largest junctions.
Yes. The soviet approach to navigational signs was that if one didn't know how to get somewhere, then he probably didn't have authorization to go there.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #493
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post

(source: probably lifted from the now-defunct tallinn.mashke.org)
Beauty! Which version of Ikarus I see in this picture?
Three doored:
[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBrK43vOBseguFp-oF8BtozlyGsAtijzHrly0ouwPQbDNGYK3D7A[/IMG]
or four-doored joint:
[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsSw0xzM01i80v3QWgZDu5HAkRj-DbLft5d_HbuLXPOlO76vIkUg[/IMG]

My bet is 3d

How long ago did you manage to get rid off this crap?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #494
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

These buses weren't so bad. We had them in Athens and managed to serve from 1979 up to 2004! Of course only a few of very first ones survived up to 2004; most which did last until the end were assembled in Greece in the mid-1980's. And there are some of them that were handed in to municipal councils and are still running!

(Sorry for the OT).
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #495
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
How long ago did you manage to get rid off this crap?
The last one retired in 2003 in Tallinn.
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #496
Tin_Can

I agree with ea1969. Ikarus buses were pretty good (in fact,some of them were lot better than some Scania buses which replaced them) Sadly our last Ikarus buses had badly worn interior and did not comply with EURO co2 standards.

OT - Is tallinn.mashke.org really dead? I've heard that some day owners might resurrect it.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #497
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I think something is happenning with IKARUS. It seems that some investors want to put it alive with very serious new advanced types of buses which full fill any demands/expectations. That is what I´ve heard from hungarian medias. We are looking forward to see some new buses with IKARUS badge on it.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM   #498
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
I agree with ea1969. Ikarus buses were pretty good (in fact,some of them were lot better than some Scania buses which replaced them) Sadly our last Ikarus buses had badly worn interior and did not comply with EURO co2 standards.
Sorry but I think this is pure nostalgy. If you look at other companies' buses that were made around the same time as Ikarus buses, they were far superior. Other than being quite spacious(since the floor was flat and there weren't many seats), Ikarus buses were uncomfortable for both the driver and the passangers. It was noisy, the engine was weak, pretty much no heating(one small radiator for the whole bus). I do agree with you about the Scania buses from the mid 90s but these were(and still are) crappy because they were built in Estona.

Sorry for OT.
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM   #499
Grisent

Agree. With poor heating and single-glazed windows, Ikaruses were awful in winter.
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #500
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Visualization of the Mõigu interchange (Tallinn - Tartu, km 4,4 - 6,6):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcozK...eature=related

The 3D model can be found here (Additional software needs to be installed first.):
http://www.teedeprojekt.ee/moiguvisull/

Mõigu is a bottleneck of the Tallinn - Tartu road. This small section currently is a simple 1+1 road, with traffic lights. But it is 2x2 before and after Mõigu. It is planned to be reconstructed into 2x2 I class road, with a 70km/h speed limit. The only problem is that this project won't happen in the near future.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads