daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #501
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Fixed it for ya :
BTW, if you look up, the original plans reserved space for a future tramline which the final plans don't....

The problem is that we have done shitloads of pre-projects. Most of them won't be built in the near future and some will never be built.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #502
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

If you prefer to study the project without tiny animated cars, here is a PDF:

http://moigu.teedeprojekt.ee/ee/dokumendid?cat_id=20

(the first link - Trassi skeem > Laadi alla)

I see the project also includes a junction with Tallinn's future smaller bypass. I am really looking forward to the bypass being built; but that project is apparently as far or even further away than T2/E263 widening at Mõigu.

Especially the eastern half of the bypass would be a very handy connection. Ever since the Smuuli tee road viaduct was completed in 2007, it has been... well, nice to drive along once in a while, but certainly not up to its potential usefulness. It really begs to be extended with a tunnel beneath the airport runway and up to a junction with T2.

With the Tallinn's smaller bypass, there would finally be a viable option to direct some traffic into town centre AVOIDING Ülemiste intersection. This is the current "official" transit route that is supposed to take traffic from T2 to downtown ferry harbour, and signposted as "E20 STOCKHOLM / E67 HELSINKI". It is, frankly, ridiculous. With all due respect though -- I must say I cannot offer a better alternative; and I like that the city is doing some traffic management with the road network it currently has. But I'd personally take the direct route almost any time of day, and every tourist with a GPS is probably going to do the same The bypass would make the route a lot more logical.

Seems that Tallinn smaller bypass is a municipal project, not Road Administration project. that makes the chances of it being built somewhat slimmer
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #503
Rebasepoiss

I think that Ülemiste intersection will be the only large reconstruction project in Tallinn area for a long time. Tallinn city itself has practically no finances available for road projects and I don't think it will receive any more EU money.

What we probably will see is the gradual reconstruction of Tallinn's bypass, starting from a few intersections and widening Väo-Jüri to 2x2.
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #504
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

1) Viitna - Haljala road project has been approved by the Kadrina parish authorities. After Viitna bypass (Tallinn - Narva road) will be completed (fall 2011), the old alignment will be used as a part of a new collector road, connecting Viitna and Haljala. The project includes construction of a grade separated crossing - Romeda viaduct. Construction should have started last year, but there were some problems with the locals. They were against construction of the bridge in the purposed location, saying that the current intersection location (where the new bypass begins) is better.

So the local authorities requested additional research to be conducted. Result - locals lost. Now that the project is approved, construction can start... or atleast I think so.

2) Purtse bridge (Tallinn - Narva road) will be reconstructed this year. Currently it is a narrow bridge (8.5m) with a bad quality pavement and a low speed limit.

Quote:
I class road, with a 70km/h speed limit.
Sorry, my mistake. It is going to be a simple 2+2 road, with a 2m wide median (like Jarvevana tee), 3.5m wide lanes and a 1.5m wide shoulder. I think it is called a "linna kiirtee" (Project speed: 80km/h). They want to fit as much as possible in the space available.

Quote:
I see the project also includes a junction with Tallinn's future smaller bypass.
With left turns and traffic lights...

Quote:
even further away than T2/E263 widening at Mõigu.
The situation is going to improve a bit:
Quote:
Lisaks on Ülemiste liiklussõlme projekti raames kavas korraldada veel kolm riigihanget. ... Teine Lennujaama tee-Mõigu tee rekonstrueerimiseks, mille mahus laiendatakse Tartu maanteed lõigus Vana-Tartu mnt-Mõigu tee kaks pluss kaks rajaliseks.
Taken from:
http://www.ehitusinfo.ee/index.php?aid=10138
It is like 500m?

Quote:
What we probably will see is the gradual reconstruction of Tallinn's bypass, starting from a few intersections and widening Väo-Jüri to 2x2.
And a completely new bypass: Juuliku - Taabasalu road construction should start this or next year. About 5km of new road are expected be built (Juuliku - Laagri). Original idea of a fully I class road with a project speed of 100km/h has been put on hold. Now it is going to be a simple 1+1 road. Major interchange are still planned as 2x2 I class.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #505
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

I agree -- Tallinn will probably not be able to undertake any other larger reconstructions in the near future, besides Ülemiste.

Furthermore, there are several other big road projects on Tallinn's to-do list; notably
1) Haabersti interchange
2) Northern Passage + Russalka interchange

Both have been in planning considerably longer than Tallinn smaller bypass and both are being postponed all the time. I'd also argue that for the smaller bypass to be really effective, Northern Passage and Russalka interchange need to be built first, anyway.

Quote:
Lisaks on Ülemiste liiklussõlme projekti raames kavas korraldada veel kolm riigihanget. ... Teine Lennujaama tee-Mõigu tee rekonstrueerimiseks, mille mahus laiendatakse Tartu maanteed lõigus Vana-Tartu mnt-Mõigu tee kaks pluss kaks rajaliseks.
Very, very strange. This is the stretch between Vana-Tartu mnt. and Mõigu tee. If the article is correct, the reconstruction would leave 250 METRES of single-carriageway road in the middle of 2x2. I hope this information is incorrect and no such gap will be left if said reconstruction takes place.

Or: I have a uneasy feeling that perhaps there are two different plans concerning Mõigu. Perhaps Tallinn is going indeed to hold tender for just a very simple road widening? A 2+2 dual carriageway up to Mõigu tee intersection, fully at-grade, left-turns-and-traffic-lights-whatever. In which case this pre-project by Teedeprojekt is just a random fantasy, to be shelved and forgotten.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #506
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
BTW, if you look up, the original plans reserved space for a future tramline which the final plans don't....

WTF? Why was it removed? How f**king short sighted those planners are?
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #507
Rebasepoiss

The orginial plan:

The final plan for a similar section of the project:

I guess they had to enable access to the adjacent plots by creating smaller, local streets on both sides of the main highway.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; February 9th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #508
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Or: I have a uneasy feeling that perhaps there are two different plans concerning Moigu. Perhaps Tallinn is going indeed to hold tender for just a very simple road widening? A 2+2 dual carriageway up to Moigu tee intersection, fully at-grade, left-turns-and-traffic-lights-whatever. In which case this pre-project by Teedeprojekt is just a random fantasy, to be shelved and forgotten.
These are two completely different projects.
From here: http://www.peetri.ee/lahendused-moigu-pudelikaelale/
About the pre-project by Teedeprojekt:
Quote:
Tema sonul on kas tunnel, viadukt voi laiendamine on pigem 15-20-aastases perspektiivis.
About the current project:
Quote:
Lahiaastatel tahab Tallinn aga laiendada liikluse Moigus 4-realiseks ja valja ehitada nn Selveri ristmiku. Nelja-realiseks saaks teha tee ilma kellegi krundi kallale minemata, samuti rajatakse muratokked.
Quote:
WTF? Why was it removed? How f**king short sighted those planners are?
It is a realistic approach. Tallinn does not have any tram development plans, can't renew existing rolling stock and keep tracks in good condition. How are we going to build new lines?

Quote:
I guess they had to enable access to the adjacent plots by creating smaller, local streets on both sides of the main highway.
The width of the new project is 32m. They can fit it in the space available, except for a few small areas. The old project was 80m wide! It would be too expensive to build.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #509
Rebasepoiss

I think you can't refer to that page as a source for reliable info. That article is from Otober 2009 when the project had just been started. The tunnel and the viaduct were quickly ruled out during the first stages of the project. The orginial plan didn't have collector roads on both sides of the main road so if you wanted to drive out of your yard, you would've had to merge with traffic going 70km/h. The locals opposed to this(as well as to some other things like the placement of noise barriers). The final project takes into account pretty much all the suggestions local people had: (from here: http://moigu.teedeprojekt.ee/ee/dokumendid?cat_id=23 )

It would be pointless to widen this road to 2x2 lanes without building the interchanges. It's not the amount of lanes that's causing traffic jams, it's mainly one traffic-light controlled intersection.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; February 9th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #510
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Maybe ice-roads next week :

Quote:
Because of last weeks' storm there are massive cracks and the ice has moved on the mainland - Muhu stretch. In some places the ice is also a bit thin, but hopefully it will grow in the next days. On Monday 21st AS Saaremaa Teed will make additional surveys on the ice. And on basis of that we will make our decision if it is possible to open this road or not.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #511
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2269

Longest ice road in Europe - 26,5 km! It connects Estonian continental part with the 2nd largest island Hiiumaa.

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #512
Rebasepoiss

Roads nr. 1, 2, 3, 6 are currently officially opened.

I'm planning on visiting Vormsi island tomorrow. If I do, I'll make sure to take some photos
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #513
Tin_Can

This is pretty fitting image to describe current situation:

Satellite image of Estonia.

Source: EPL

I guess if current -20c to -30c weather continues (and weather forecasts say that it does for atleast one more week),then we'll also see iceroads nr.4 & 5 in this winter.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #514
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

strange, here around Riga see has no ice except some 100 m from the beach.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM   #515
Rebasepoiss

I have quite a few photos from my trip to Vormsi island , coming soon...
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:35 AM   #516
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Roads nr. 1, 2, 3, 6 are currently officially opened.

I'm planning on visiting Vormsi island tomorrow. If I do, I'll make sure to take some photos
Wow. Some of those crossings are pretty long. What do they do during freezeup/breakup? Or does nothing get to/from the islands by sea during that time?
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM   #517
Rebasepoiss

Ferry routes do not cross the ice roads, they follow a different path(often parallel to the ice roads). Other maritime vehicles are not allowed to cross the paths of the existing or yet to be ice roads either. However, since ice roads cannot support heavy vehicles(trucks, buses), ferrys operate even when ice roads are opened.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #518
Rebasepoiss

28 photos to liven up this thread...

1. Welcome to Vormsi island. Tbh, I didn't know a sign like this even existed since I haven't seen them on other Estonian islands.

2. Looking back to the ice road:

3. A reminder of the island's Swedish heritage - placenames.

4. Nice and cosy:

5. Driving around on the island a bit:

8. Entering the ice road:

10. The road splits here. The ice road consists of 2 one-way roads which are ~80m apart.

12.Quite a bit of traffic.

13. A ferry route to Hiiumaa is pretty close to the road.

15. Back on the mainland, between Rohuküla port and Haapsalu.

16. Driving through Haapsalu.

21. The road gets a bit snowy in the forests.

24. Back on T4/E67. It's 2x2 from here To Tallinn.

25. Speed trap.

28. Entering Tallinn.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; February 21st, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #519
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Ferry routes do not cross the ice roads, they follow a different path(often parallel to the ice roads). Other maritime vehicles are not allowed to cross the paths of the existing or yet to be ice roads either. However, since ice roads cannot support heavy vehicles(trucks, buses), ferrys operate even when ice roads are opened.
Kinda defeats the purpose of having an ice road, if the ferries operate year round.

I was just curious, as in northern Canada, if the ice road was closed to all vehicles, the only transport option, is by air (Not a big deal for the City of Yellowknife, now that the first EVER bridge has opened across the MacKenzie [spelling?] River).
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Can you drive these ice roads at night?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads