daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #541
Tin_Can

Planned roadworks around Tartu city for this year.

Source: Postimees.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #542
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

! - Bridge reconstruction
Red - Construction and renewal
Light blue - Reconstruction of places prone to traffic accidents.
Green - in planning
Light green - EU-funded projects.
Black - surfacing
Yellow - renewal of gravel roads
Dotted red line - municipality borders
Grey - state roads
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #543
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
I am slightly unsure about such signage. What do you think, is it readable enough or is it overdesigned?
In my opinion, it is over-designed. There is a reason why you will not find such boogie-woogie signs in most of Europe. It's not relevant yet to show the entire layout on an announcement sign. The road nowadays is self-explaining.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #544
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

I find it okay. A little quirky, indeed, but anything helps in snowy and gritty winter conditions, where "road" becomes a subjective term.
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #545
Rebasepoiss

At last a final decision was made by the EU to allow funding for a large road project. A 13,5km section of T2/E263 (between Aruvalla and Kose) will be constructed into a limited-acces, grade-separated 2x2 highway. Total cost of the project is € 88,5 million out of which 85% will come from the EU. Project should be finished by July, 2012. A characteristic feature is the large amount of access roads.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; March 16th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #546
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

I really like, that every new larger project in Estonia is visualized Really informative and cool looking.
About the road - won't it be an expressway? Seems like expressway standards fits here perfectly - grade separated intersections, adjescent road etc.
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #547
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

No, I am afraid it is not going to be expressway at this point. As far as I know there isn't even the term of expressway (or motorway, highway, freeway, what ever it is called in different places) defined in the estonian legislation

Although, by this time there is decent amount of streches that correspond to the requirements and could easily be upgraded, if allowed by the laws.
Right know they just call them "first class highway" which really doesn't mean anything :P
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #548
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapo311 View Post

No, I am afraid it is not going to be expressway at this point. As far as I know there isn't even the term of expressway (or motorway, highway, freeway, what ever it is called in different places) defined in the estonian legislation

Although, by this time there is decent amount of streches that correspond to the requirements and could easily be upgraded, if allowed by the laws.
Right know they just call them "first class highway" which really doesn't mean anything :P
Well, yes, the Estonian road classification system is a bit different. We have 2 different types of dual carriageways.

Motorway:

I class highway:

Besides the small differences in layout, there are also some extra requirements which make building motorway-class roads in Estonia too complicated and expensive. For example, the minimum required distance between intersections is 10km for motorways, 5km for I class highways. Motorways have to be fully lit , I class highways only require lighting at intersections, motorways have a project speed of 140km/h, I class highways 120km/h etc.

These harsh(er) requirements were not a problem before since none of the Soviet-built dual carriageways was even close to having motorway standards. As of today, we have around 15km of highways which would be considered a motorway in, let's say, Sweden.

I hope that with the increasing number of new high-standard dual carriageways built, they will start to consider changing motorway building requirements and also start using the motorway sign(which is actually part of our traffic laws)
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #549
kapo311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

These harsh(er) requirements were not a problem before since none of the Soviet-built dual carriageways was even close to having motorway standards. As of today, we have around 15km of highways which would be considered a motorway in, let's say, Sweden.

I hope that with the increasing number of new high-standard dual carriageways built, they will start to consider changing motorway building requirements and also start using the motorway sign(which is actually part of our traffic laws)
Could you post the source of this information?

These requirements sound rather ridiculous, most of the motorways in Europe have no lighting, exits can be less than 10km apart (e.g. whereever it is necessary) and 140km/h speed limit?? In sweden, which you bring in example, the speed limit on motorway is only 110.

These must be coming from years far back in the soviet utopia, too bad they didn't manage to build any roads living up to these.

What concerns the motorway sign, my guess is that it is only there because so people wouldn't freak out when they drive abroad and meet those signs.

But it is high time to change the laws for motorways in Estonia, because whinin a few years there will be decent amount of roads, that would be considered motorway in Sweden.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #550
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Could you post the source of this information?
From https://www.riigiteataja.ee/akt/26215.
Table 2.6: Project speed; motorways: 140km/h

(2) Ristmike vahekaugus ei tohi üldjuhul olla väiksem kui 10 km kiirteedel ja 5 km I klassi maanteedel, linnalähivööndis vastavalt 5 km ja 3 km. = The distance between intersections cannot normally be less than 10 km for motorways and 5 km for I class highways, in the city regions 5 km and 3 km respectively.

8.3. Valgustus
(2) Kiirteedele kogu ulatuses ja I klassi maanteede ristmike ning bussipeatuste piirkonda tuleb projekteerida valgustussüsteem.
= A lighting system must be planned/engineered in the full length for motorways, and near junctions and bus stops on I class highways (Shitty translation, sorry)

Quote:
These requirements sound rather ridiculous, most of the motorways in Europe have no lighting, exits can be less than 10km apart (e.g. whereever it is necessary) and 140km/h speed limit?? In sweden, which you bring in example, the speed limit on motorway is only 110.
Project speed does not equal speed limit. Project speed is the speed at which a car could safely drive on a particular road in dry conditions. The speed limit is 110km/h for dual carriageways in the summer. By law, it can be raised to 120km/h(which was done experimentally somewhere in the 90s).

Quote:
What concerns the motorway sign, my guess is that it is only there because so people wouldn't freak out when they drive abroad and meet those signs.
Not only do we have a sign, we also have traffic laws for driving at motorways which you have to know to pass your theory test when getting a driving license. It's quite ironic that you actually don't need this knowledge when driving in your own country. It's similar to having traffic laws for driving in tunnels. We have the laws, but the first road tunnel will only be opened by the end of this year.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; March 17th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #551
kapo311

Thanks for the explanation! Thats really interesting stuff, as it turns out, if all those requirements are to be fulfilled, we'll never see motorways in Estonia
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #552
estlander
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

BTW

- we dont use Helvetica, as sign font
- we dont use Arial (Microsoft bastard font from Helvetica ) as a sign font

But we do use EVS 613 font as official.

Yes, I have seen Arial and Helvetica in two-three times in small signs - nothing to do with official signs (sneaky bastards).

cheers,
estlander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #553
estlander
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Hiiumaa iceroad is turism trap.

According to Hiiu Leht, there has been Italian television and German Radio has made many stories of it. German reporter Birgit Johannsmeier (resid. Latvia) was surprised, that in Soviet time ice roads were also used (). Many germans (they have only one island Rüger) have watched german film "Polli diaries" (made in Estonia) and have wanted to visit Estonia.

P.S. Islaners from Saaremaa have been used iceroad to buy Hiiumaa Bakery products and vise versta.

P.P.S. Johannsmeier didnt belive iceroadmaster Raivo Kibuspuu, who prayed that its possible to drive iceroad in April also. I rememembered, back in old times, it was april also. Didnt see any ice, it had 10 cm water above. And it was a hellride to Saaremaa in morning and back at evening. We asked in evening - did someone went over, and roadmaster sayd "yes" - there was only one car tyreprint in melting ice - and it was our.

Last edited by estlander; March 18th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
estlander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #554
Rebasepoiss

A beautiful video of Estonian ice roads:
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #555
Rebasepoiss

Strictly speaking, these photos are not about road construction but all these works are necessary to build the Ülemiste intersection in Tallinn:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Few photos of Ülemiste road junction.

Sewer system construction,view from Filtri/Tehnika streets extension.
[IMG]http://i54.************/zivfwy.jpg[/IMG]

And U/C temporary railway. Temporary railway allows construction of road tunnels in place of current railway line. Once the road tunnels are built,temporary railway will be removed and old tracks will be restored. Length of temporary railway line is 1200m.

You can see old railway on the left and temporary railway on the right.
[IMG]http://i53.************/11tsmzr.jpg[/IMG]

View towards Veerenni street railway crossing.
[IMG]http://i53.************/34q9stc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/2hoif78.jpg[/IMG]

Overhead lines on temporary railway.
[IMG]http://i55.************/x2857b.jpg[/IMG]

Currently there are three different works going on there:
sewer system construction - cost 7,1 million euros
temporary railway construction (deadline is in mid-April) - 2,9 million euros
new underground power lines construction - 2,1 million euros
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #556
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

estonian ice roads are amazing.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:57 AM   #557
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Is "jää" = "ice" in Estonian? Would be similar to Hungarian "jég" for once ...
Corvinus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM   #558
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Indeed. And 'blood' is 'veri', also similar to Hungarian.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #559
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

There have been talks about T-1 and T-2 eventually becoming "motorways" with a speed limit of 120km/h.
Like here: http://www.sonumitooja.ee/vanaleht/2005/St36/poore.htm
„Maanteeameti argument on, et tulevikus tahetakse Tallinn-Narva maantee teha kiirteeks".

But this won't happen in the near future (Year 2040 ), as the old sections require some upgrading and there are no plans to do so. Also the total length of up to standard sections, even in 10 years, is going to be too small. One of the reasons for new T-11 to get the 90km/h speed limit, is that the road is too short (~40km). So we won't see any 15km long motorways in Estonia.

Quote:
The top right loop seems somewhat superfluous, isn't it? Yes, it is definitely a more convenient path than taking the lower right ramp and navigating through the roundabout. But, strangely, that is what the signage suggests.
Probably the signage is just a mistake and the loop will also be incorporated in the traffic scheme.
They aren't going to build it now. It is for the future expansion.
http://www.mnt.ee/public/625T-RD1-01...an_I-etapp.pdf

Quote:
Um, the driver JUST exited the T94. Is it really necessary to complicate the signage and immediately show how to get back there?
Wouldn't it be more complicated without it? How the driver should know, where this roundabout exit will lead him to?

Quote:
Or the one in the opposite direction (from E20 towards T94), is that a two-lane ramp as well?
AFAIK the second lane goes through a roundabout.

Quote:
Well, yes, the Estonian road classification system is a bit different. We have 2 different types of dual carriageways.
T-60 near Parnu, a dual carriageway, is a III class road.

And this 1+1 road

is a I class road.

The image above is taken from the video report about the construction of the Kukruse - Johvi section (E20):

Quote:
I class highways 120km/h etc.
Not always. New I class highways have design speed of 100km/h, like: T-5, T-8, T-11, T-15, new Juuliku - Tabasalu road. As it is cheaper.

Quote:
These must be coming from years far back in the soviet utopia, too bad they didn't manage to build any roads living up to these.
Weren't the Lithuanian motorways build in the soviet times? I don't remember them being fully lit.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #560
Rebasepoiss

Yes, of course there are exceptions but I was talking about construction standards which can sometimes be modified to fit the local circumstances.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads