daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #581
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Thanks for explaining, vatse. I like the fact that Estonia has some 100km/h sections on 1+1 roads. I drive in Lithuania every time I'm there and driving 90km/h at least on some newer and/or better quality 1+1 roads sometimes seems so pathetically slow so that even being a considerate and "safe" driver I rarely manage not to speed at 100km/h.

Btw, which 1+1 roads in Estonia have 100km/h limit? And approximately what is the total distance of such stretches?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #582
jkk

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Btw, which 1+1 roads in Estonia have 100km/h limit? And approximately what is the total distance of such stretches?
Couldn't find an exact map right now, but 100km/h limit is used on 652,9 km of 1+1 roads this summer and 110km/h on 148,1km of 2+2 roads.

EDIT
Here is an exact map:
http://f.postimees.ee/o/2011/04/29/567949t1h95a6.jpg
Light green represents 100km/h and dark green 110km/h
jkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #583
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Thanks. That's pretty good. I would guess the police would have some 10km/h tolerance before fining a driver for speeding? Would it be ok to assume that driving at 110km/h on 100km/h roads is "safe"?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #584
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Thanks. That's pretty good. I would guess the police would have some 10km/h tolerance before fining a driver for speeding? Would it be ok to assume that driving at 110km/h on 100km/h roads is "safe"?
100 on your speedometer means +- 96, 110 is +- 105 and 120 is +-114. Subtract from that 3kph margin that they take and you don't have to worry about driving 10kph over the limit.

On the other hand I did hear recently that some of the speed cameras on 90kph stretches start taking pictures from 91kph. You'll only get a €5 fine though :p. But again: in my calculation, 91 means +- 97/98 on your speedometer.

Personally, I've gotten one fine so far: €20 for driving 120 (on my speedometer) where 90 was permitted (it was 114 on the speed gun and 111 with the margin).
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #585
Tin_Can

Yeah,speed cameras are harsh against anyone who exceeds speed limit :P

Police patrols are lot more relaxed. Depending on situation (like overtaking others or following overall speed of traffic flow) and how good mood police has,you usually get away with speeding >10km over the limit. Police might pull you over and give you warning to slow down (but no fine!) Reckless driving & dangerous overtaking isn't tolerated though,so no boy racer stunts here
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #586
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Well, the police will probably let you go with a warning...but speed cameras are more strict. They start taking photos at 97 km/h and 108 km/h when speed limits are 90 and 100 respectively.
You can find the locations of speed cameras here: http://www.mnt.ee/kiiruskaamerad/?q=node/2
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM   #587
maanus_j

Likes (Received): 26

Some photos from the roadworks on E20 Loo-Maardu, taken a few days ago.
I'm too lazy to write any additional comments, but the general sequence of the photos is:
southern collector road > Maardu junction > (2 photos of preparation works at the extension on Vana-Narva maantee) > Loo junction

maanus_j no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM   #588
Rebasepoiss

Now that's proper roadworks
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #589
Tin_Can

Excellent update,maanus_j! I was already beginning to wonder why no one hadn't posted photos of Maardu junction...

Question - what are they doing with railway bridge crossing Narva highway? On photos it has new bridge foundations poured. Are they going to make it double track railway or are they shifting tracks to new bridge and will later demolish the old bridge?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM   #590
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Hey,
are there any road works on your main road nr. 4? I'm planning trip to Tallinn and I have to calculate time that is needed to get there. If there are any road works that may make a delay.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #591
Rebasepoiss

They are still working on Pärnu bypass. That section is 5km long and the speed limit is 30 km/h, otherwise it's situation as normal. You can even check where there's an increased speed limit (100 or 110 km/h) from here: http://www.inspirit.ee/maantee/map/index.html?locale=en
Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:10 AM   #592
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Hey Rebasepoiss, that map looks great! Thank you!
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #593
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

For those who don't know, Estonian road administration plans to change the Vao interchange layout. They no longer plan to build this:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2715/vao.png
Instead we are going to get this:
http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...0320154451.pdf

Quote:
Question - what are they doing with railway bridge crossing Narva highway? On photos it has new bridge foundations poured. Are they going to make it double track railway or are they shifting tracks to new bridge and will later demolish the old bridge?
AFAIK they are doing absolutely nothing . The second track is planned, but they aren't going to build it now. Due to the complexity of the construction (tunnel, bridge, high density highway) it is easier to build the foundation now.
Here is another bridge on the Lagedi - Maardu railroad: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3276765
you can clearly see the base for the second track.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #594
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
For those who don't know, Estonian road administration plans to change the Vao interchange layout. They no longer plan to build this:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2715/vao.png
Instead we are going to get this:
http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...0320154451.pdf
For f**k's sake why? The number of bridges still remains the same. And no direct connection between Tallinn bypass and Laagna tee? Pff... I hoped that we'd finally see a proper interchange in Estonia. What is up with that roundabout design anyway? You can see that they're planning that exact same design for Topi interchange too. Will they at least start building the Väo interchange next year?
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #595
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

A little progress (or lack thereof) report from Viitna bypass, taken from the old viaduct earlier today.

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #596
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks!

Any idea what is the junction layout going to be? I see there's a loop in the southeastern corner, what about others?
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:55 AM   #597
Tin_Can

Is that on hold or what? I thought that Viitna bypass was supposed to be U/C?
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #598
Rebasepoiss

It should be finished by the end of this year....doesn't look like it, though but maybe they are really fast if they have to.

It's seems to be a new trend in Estonia that most projects are delayed by at least a year. Examples: Aruvalla-Kose on T2(delayed by several years), Pärnu bypass on T4 (delayed by an unknown amount), Liiapeksi-Loobu on T1 ( Delayed by at least 6 months. Any information on this project?)
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #599
Tin_Can

Today's news said that Viitna bypass is on hold because of problems with one landowner there,who sued state & refused forced land sale. Project will remain on hold until court verdict is made.
Maanteeamet also has issues with Lemminkäinen Eesti AS,builder of Viitna bypass,and suspects that Lemminkäinen's project doesn't meet technical specifications & standards required by procurement.

Source: http://www.ehitusuudised.ee/article/...opeltvaidlusse

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #600
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Here's something slightly historic — two shots of Estonian roads back in 1984. I found the frames actually in a music video, one by pop singer Ivo Linna.

image hosted on flickr

Roads of Saaremaa in 1984 by Grisent, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Roads of Saaremaa in 1984 by Grisent, on Flickr

This is an intersection on the island of Saaremaa. To my knowledge, it does not even exist any more; nowadays, there is a straight road from Kuivastu to Kuressaare, and you have to turn off the main route to get to Laimjala. Anyway, I guess this should be the location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.526...,0.222988&z=13

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads