daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #681
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

This is definitely worth mentioning here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Quote:
Major truck stop will be opened in Sillamäe in August.

Major truck stop for 450 trucks will be opened in August this year,although it will be fully operational by 2012. It's meant for cutting back long waiting lines at Narva border station - thanks to slow speed of Russian border checks,trucks previously had to wait along E20 highway and streets in Narva,creating several kilometre long lines of trucks. As it's unlikely that Russia will manage to speed up border checks on their side,this truck stop will atleast offer decent resting conditions for truck drivers.

Truck stop will have parking lot for 450 trucks,cafeteria,toilets & showers. Truckers will be able to fill customs documents in this stop and will be able to leave stop once their receive notification that they can cross border at Narva.

Truck stop was designed by Alver Arhitektid. Cost of project is around 4 million euros. 1,15 million will be funded by EU and rest will be funded by Sillamäe harbour,who won tender for operating this truck stop. Truck stop is built by Nordecon Infra.

Similar stops will be built in Narva,Koidula and Luhamaa,but those are mainly focused on serving cars & buses.

Source: http://www.logistikauudised.ee/artic...ikus-sillamael
It's opened now and this is how it looks like:

Source: http://www.ap3.ee/default.aspx?publi...C-3300BB0AED9F
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #682
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Looks nice, it's definitely an improvement for the truck drivers.

I'd rather see that some diplomatic measures could persuade Russians to increase the capacity of Ivangorod border station and cut back the waiting lines - but seems that it's not so easy
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #683
Rebasepoiss

I agree...but at least truck drivers now have humane conditions while they're waiting.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #684
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadeuurija View Post
couple of photos of Viitna bypass, taken today
As for Viitna bypass:

I would very much like to see that eastbound traffic would retain easy access and exit from Viitna centre, along the current road. Viitna village currently functions as a pretty good, all-in-one service and rest area, and there isn't exactly an abundance of services on T1 / E20. In eastbound direction, I think it is the very first service area after Tallinn, save for one gas station in Kuusalu. (Viitna is on km 69.)

If easy access would not be possible, Viitna will likely lose most of the traffic and businesses will close down. (It will anyway lose all westbound traffic, for which access would be too inconvenient.) I don't even know what is the next comparable service area, something near Rakvere? (~km 100)

I haven't found any project files regarding Viitna bypass, so if anybody has them, please drop a link.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #685
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
As for Viitna bypass:

I would very much like to see that eastbound traffic would retain easy access and exit from Viitna centre, along the current road. Viitna village currently functions as a pretty good, all-in-one service and rest area, and there isn't exactly an abundance of services on T1 / E20. In eastbound direction, I think it is the very first service area after Tallinn, save for one gas station in Kuusalu. (Viitna is on km 69.)

If easy access would not be possible, Viitna will likely lose most of the traffic and businesses will close down. (It will anyway lose all westbound traffic, for which access would be too inconvenient.) I don't even know what is the next comparable service area, something near Rakvere? (~km 100)

I haven't found any project files regarding Viitna bypass, so if anybody has them, please drop a link.
Here in the article it says that the eastbound traffic can drive into Viitna like in the old days. But i could not find any drawings either, strange.

http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudise....d?id=33138711
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #686
Tin_Can

If it's any consolation,then Regio has updated it's online map and in addition to new U/C Ülemiste junction in Tallinn,Viitna bypass has been also marked on the map.

Just enter 'Viitna' to map search and it shows planned route of the bypass: http://kaart.otsing.delfi.ee/
Unless they also build decent access route for westbound traffic,then Viitna loses lot of it's visitors. Anyway,Viitna tavern is too legendary for it,so I'm positive that it still manages to attract people passing Viitna I'm not sure about other diners & barbecue joints in Viitna...
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #687
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
3) Luige interchange. This project includes 2.8km of I class highway, a grade-separated interchange between T11 and T15, 2km of cycle paths, a viaduct for cyclists and pedestrians and 1.5 km of noise barriers. The procurement for construction was held in April 2011. There were 4 offers but the winner hasn't been announced yet. The cost is approximately € 15 million. The plans are here: http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...ust_luige1.pdf and here: http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...ust_luige2.pdf
A conctruction contract was made today. It will be built by Nordecon and Järva Teed, the cost is € 11.8 million of which 85% will be funded by the EU. The deadline is summer 2013.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #688
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
I'm not sure about other diners & barbecue joints in Viitna...
I'm hoping Rõmeda šašlõkibaar has already attained a big enough following to stay afloat. There seem to be a lot more visitors than a random roadside diner would otherwise house. It has been nice seeing them rise from a small little shack to a full restaurant.
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #689
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
I would very much like to see that eastbound traffic would retain easy access and exit from Viitna centre, along the current road.
The solution for the eastern connection:
http://www.kadrina.ee/atp/doc.php?17176

But direct access will be closed, after the new collector road will be build (part of Romeda - Haljala project). The old T-1 will be connected to the new Aaspere interchange from both sides of the new T-1.

Quote:
Something from the archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/200706251..._myrakaart.pdf

Quote:
I don't even know what is the next comparable service area, something near Rakvere? (~km 100)
Aaspere?

There is also something in Põdruse, Arkna and Sõmeru.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #690
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
The solution for the eastern connection:
Why don't they build a simple on ramp for westbound traffic, the new collector road is like 20m away
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #691
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Small update on the Tallinn - Paldiski road. It has been decided to keep the Huuru - Keila stretch 1+1 in the existing alignment for the next 15 years.
The fate of the remaining 3.5km near Tallinn depends on the plans for Juuliku - Taabasalu road construction.

Quote:
Why don't they build a simple on ramp for westbound traffic, the new collector road is like 20m away
Why should they? If you want to go to Viitna, you will be able to use the Viitna interchange or the Aaspere interchange. If you don't, then the ramp won't make you.
Take a look at Mao. You can easily go to Mao cafes if you are going from Tallinn to Tartu. Did it help to keep the customers? No.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #692
Grisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
Why should they? If you want to go to Viitna, you will be able to use the Viitna interchange or the Aaspere interchange. If you don't, then the ramp won't make you.
Take a look at Mao. You can easily go to Mao cafes if you are going from Tallinn to Tartu. Did it help to keep the customers? No.
I agree with you, with the reservation that if a motorist is indeed heading specifically for Viitna centre, or some other nearby place, then he will get there perfectly fine. The existence (or absence) of some particular ramp will not matter. Hence, I believe the proposed traffic scheme is perfectly adequate, for getting into Viitna if you *need* it. And that is mostly what it is supposed to be.

But with service areas it's slightly different; that was my original point. A motorist does not need to stop at any particular rest area — but he might do so if the services area can be accessed without too much bother and it looks (judging by signage, or the look of the site itself) a worthwhile place. If not, he will likely continue along.

I wouldn't say that Mäo is "easily" accessible for a motorist who is just looking around for a place to make a short break and perhaps have something to eat.

People (and not only tourists, but regulars just as well) are *much* more inclined to make a stop if the service area is 1) well signed in advance, 2) visible from the road and just a short turn away. Mäo fails in both aspects -- you need to make FOUR turns over the course of approx. 2,3 km and, if I am not mistaken, Mäo isn't even signposted where you need to turn off of T2. (OK, there's another junction shortly after Mäo, with signage that reads MÄO KESKUS, but nobody is never ever going to drive BACK just to grab a snack. It just feels wrong.)

Therefore, of course the customers aren't stopping in Mäo any more.

Getting from T2 to Mäo

Now, to get back to Viitna... I personally assumed that westbound traffic won't bother with Viitna anyway, be there ramp or no ramp. Therefore my main concern was eastbound traffic. (And obviously, good access to Viitna centre, gas station and eating places is more like a "nice to have" feature, not the whole point of Viitna junction.)

Oh, and by "advance signage" I would very much like to see things like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #693
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

With the new bypass, Mäo has become THE place to floor it and overtake as many trucks and slow cars as possible before its godly 2+2 stretch runs out. I guess most drivers wouldn't stop there if their life depended on it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #694
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
With the new bypass, Mäo has become THE place to floor it and overtake as many trucks and slow cars as possible before its godly 2+2 stretch runs out. I guess most drivers wouldn't stop there if their life depended on it.
Spot on!
As it is completely different case in Viitna, i think it has much more potential of surviving. In any case, proper signage would be very appriciated, and it certainly has an effect on the visitor numbers!
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #695
Tin_Can

Loo-Maardu section might run into deadline trouble - there are some issues with waterproofing the tunnel and Merko Ehitus AS wants 9 extra months for completing the works.

Source: http://www.tallinnapostimees.ee/5655...-saada-tunnel/

Quote:
Question - what are they doing with railway bridge crossing Narva highway? On photos it has new bridge foundations poured. Are they going to make it double track railway or are they shifting tracks to new bridge and will later demolish the old bridge?
I found an answer to this question from same news article:
Quote:
...Teelõigu rekonstrueerimise projekti on sisse kirjutatud see, et Merko püstitab viaduki jaoks teise rea sambaid, kui Eesti Raudteel tekib kunagi soov oma viadukti laiendada teise rööpapaariga....
So Eesti Raudtee might upgrade the railway to double track in one day and railway bridge posts were built in anticipation of this.

Postimees.ee ©

Old September 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #696
Rebasepoiss

9 extra months for a single ~80m tunnel? For crying out loud...
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #697
Tin_Can

Really important news - this is the planned route of future 1st class highway (and maybe even motorway?) between Mäo and Tartu on E263. Between Tallinn and Mäo the route has been set and is partially U/C or going to be U/C in upcoming years.

Green - new roads & shortcuts
Orange - existing highways & roads
O - new multi-level junctions

Click on the map for larger view.
[IMG]http://i53.************/jrpwua.jpg[/IMG]

This is still in planning stages and troubles with local landowners (1500 landowners will be affected by highway construction!) can change the route. Planned route has 4 possible rest stop and 3 possible gas station locations planned on both highway direction.

More about it here: http://www.tartupostimees.ee/570062/...-loksus-paika/

Are you ready to heard the bad news? ...although some parts of new route will be built sooner,main construction could proceed from 2040 onward....
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #698
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
9 extra months for a single ~80m tunnel? For crying out loud...
Merko is claiming that they are 9 months behind schedule because of the tunnel problems and delays with Eesti Raudtee study & new tunnel reinforcement project planning. It's unlikely that Maanteamet gives them so much additional time. Btw,they weren't able to reach agreement in last week,so Maanteeamet is going to give their opinions about construction delay in this week.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #699
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Are you ready to heard the bad news? ...although some parts of new route will be built sooner,main construction could proceed from 2040 onward....
Look on the bright side. At least they are planning ahead and starting to protect the future route from development.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #700
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Quote:
That's not all too terrible. I could live half the road being the way it is now, but Tallinn's half needs work badly. When could expansion of the current 2+2 stretch be expected?

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads