daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM   #701
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Are you ready to heard the bad news? ...although some parts of new route will be built sooner,main construction could proceed from 2040 onward....
Good to see they're planning 10 consecutive government terms ahead

Seriously, it's completely unknown in democracies what future government will spend on which projects. Some of it is planned in agreements, but man, not 30 years ahead in time...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #702
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
That's not all too terrible. I could live half the road being the way it is now, but Tallinn's half needs work badly. When could expansion of the current 2+2 stretch be expected?
Aruvalla-Kose section is already U/C. Kose-Mäo section probably won't be built before 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Good to see they're planning 10 consecutive government terms ahead

Seriously, it's completely unknown in democracies what future government will spend on which projects. Some of it is planned in agreements, but man, not 30 years ahead in time...
The purpose of this plan is to ensure that within the 650m wide corridor no new houses would be built. It's only the route that's being planned, not the highway project itself. The 2040 estimation is most probably based on the projected AADT...which I doubt will ever be high enough to require a 2x2 highway.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM   #703
Tin_Can

Maybe the traffic density isn't high enough,but improving road safety would certainly be decisive,when considering upgrading Tallinn-Tartu highway to 2+2 highway. Atleast some multilevel junctions,shortcuts and sections of 2+2 road are needed,even when the full upgrading is considered useless.

Btw,wasting hundreds of millions of euros is justified,as long as it saves lives (saved human life = priceless).
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM   #704
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Btw,wasting hundreds of millions of euros is justified,as long as it saves lives (saved human life = priceless).
There are actually some morbid calculations about what a human life is worth in terms of traffic safety. I don't know the exact figure, but I believe it was € 2.5 - 2.8 million.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM   #705
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Quote:
There are actually some morbid calculations about what a human life is worth in terms of traffic safety. I don't know the exact figure, but I believe it was € 2.5 - 2.8 million.
It's actually neither very difficult nor immoral to place an approximate price on what human life is worth. Oversimplifying, the question to ask is how many lives could be saved by spending the money on something else, for example, cancer research or better sanitation. If the new road (or whatever else is being evaluated) would save more lives per unit of money spent than the alternatives, then it's a morally good way to spend the money. If the road would save fewer lives per unit of money spent than an alternative, then the road cannot be justified on a moral basis (though it may be justifiable on some other basis). In this way, it's not so difficult to put an approximate price on the value of human life.

Looked at another way, we have limited resources so we can't do all the possible things that might save lives. We can only choose among the options and save as many lives as possible by making the most effective choices.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #706
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
It may be that figure in Holland, and maybe it is even higher in Scandinavia, but it sure as hell isn't so in Estonia. Sorry to say that, but it is true.
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #707
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Looked at another way, we have limited resources so we can't do all the possible things that might save lives. We can only choose among the options and save as many lives as possible by making the most effective choices.
What you didn't address is that you can't use the national road budget money in health care, for example, and vice-versa. In Estonia, the national health insurance budget is financially independent of the rest of the state budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapo311 View Post
It may be that figure in Holland, and maybe it is even higher in Scandinavia, but it sure as hell isn't so in Estonia. Sorry to say that, but it is true.
By 2006 figures a human life is worth € 740,000 in Estonia, the "cost" for a disabled person is € 850,000.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM   #708
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
What you didn't address is that you can't use the national road budget money in health care, for example, and vice-versa. In Estonia, the national health insurance budget is financially independent of the rest of the state budget.
How much money to allocate to the road budget and how much to the health care budget is a political question that may be better informed by the risk/risk analysis introduced above.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #709
Rebasepoiss

There is a separate health care tax in Estonia so no, it is not a political decision, unless you change the taxes.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM   #710
mcarling

Quote:
... unless you change the taxes.
That's a political decision. Anyway, we're straying away from roads.
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #711
Rebasepoiss

Yesterday the contract for the Jõhvi traffic junction was made. The project includes 2 new 246m viaducts at the spot of the old viaduct and 2 turbo-roundabouts at both ends (BTW, this is the first time I've seen the word "turboringristmik" in an Estonian press release ) The cost is € 10.3 million and the deadline is autumn 2013. The project is 100% EU funded.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #712
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
"turboringristmik"
haha, sounds bad-ass
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #713
Rebasepoiss

The deadline for the T1/E20 Loo-Maardu section has been postponed to June 2012.
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #714
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Renovations of T11340 Tallinn-Saku road were finished this summer. (In July, I believe — if the works were completed on time.)

I think there haven't been any photos yet, so I recently took a couple of shots. Lighting was remarkably bad (low sun, strong counterlight) but road features should be still recognizable.

AADT 2010: ~5700.

1. Road number as it is typically signposted just after town limits.

2. That's correct, the road to the right is prohibited for all traffic (and yet it has a right turn lane, an ADS and at least 3 traffic signs dedicated to it). Never seen that before. Although— I must say it kinda makes sense to build the intersection and signpost it, just in case the road may be opened up sometime in the future.

3. A few kilometres in, the road splits into two carriageways and gains a median. This stretch is illuminated as well. There are no longer any left turns here — instead, there's a U-turn loop at both ends.

4. Separated carriageways begin here.

5. That's the first U-turn loop.

6. The road is basically 2x1, but with right turn and merge lanes.

7. Accompanying footpaths / light traffic roads are becoming more and more commonplace, nice.

9. And more road number signposting.

10. The other U-turn loop.

11. Approaching T11 (E265) Tallinn bypass. For comparison, here's the previous ADS that on the exact same spot before:

image hosted on flickr

DSC_9707 by Grisent, on Flickr

12. Tammemäe junction feels more spacious and opened up than before.

13. T11 overpass and second half of the junction coming up.

Old October 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #715
Rebasepoiss

Wow!, there really is an 80 km/h speed limit. I had a hard time believing it when my friend told me about it. Thanks for the photos, by the way, it looks like a nice road.
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #716
Rebasepoiss

Today, the Estonian Road Administration held a small press conference about works done in 2011 while giving a brief overview of what's to come in 2012.

2011:
Budget: € 250 million
Average age of pavement for:
Main highways: 13 years
Supporting highways: 25 years
Other state roads: 21 years.
(While the goal is 15 years for the last 2)
The reason why main highways are in a vastly better condition is because we can use EU money for their reconstruction while other roads have to be reconstructed/rebuilt using only the money from the state budget.
Building and repairing surfaced roads: 273km
Paving gravel roads: 222km
Surfacing roads: 994km
Repairing gravel roads: 332km
Building light-traffic roads and sidewalks: 71km

2012:
Budget: € 265 million
Biggest projects starting or continuing in 2012:
Väo interchange ( T1/E20 - T11/E265): http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...0320154451.pdf
Topi interchange (T4/E67): http://www.mnt.ee/public/projektidpl...skorraldus.pdf
Luige interchange (T11/E265 - T15)
Pärnu bypass
Tartu Western bypass (including Variku viaduct and Postimaja intersection):
Viitna bypass
Jõhvi interchange: http://www.mnt.ee/public/skeem2.pdf

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; October 25th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #717
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting figures. What's the difference between paving gravel roads and surfacing roads?
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #718
Rebasepoiss

Surfacing (maybe there's a better term) means that you cover a paved road with a thin layer of bitumen and granite rubble. It's a cheap method for repairing a pavement. The downside is that it makes the road less smooth and the ride a lot noisier. It also doesn't last very long.
It looks something like this, although usually the whole road is covered:

A similar method is mostly used to repave gravel roads which means that the road bed remains untouched. A huge majority of road beds in Estonia are from the Soviet era and often poorly planned and built. For example, when the Vaida-Aruvalla section of T2/E263 was reconstructed, they found out that the old road bed had been built over a metre thick layer of bog peat....no wonder that roads like that don't last. The planned Kose-Mäo section of T2 also runs through a bog so in some places 1,5 metres of bog peat have to be removed before they can build the road bed.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; October 25th, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #719
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

nice
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #720
Rebasepoiss

A few photos of the ongoing Ülemiste junction construction in Tallinn:

Digging the tunnel under the railway (the temporary railway line is on the right):

Entrance for the U/C pedestrian tunnel (I wonder how long it will take before graffiti appears here).

Photos are from www.postimees.ee

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; October 28th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads