daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #801
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

The whole thing is BS. Most accidents that happen because of speeding (over here, at least) are cause by lunatics driving way faster than the allowed speed limit. Lowering the speed limit doesn't prevent that.

In fact, the recent data about speed cameras showed that they have had absolutely no impact on the number of accidents.

It's just a desperate move to show that the government is doing something about the problem, IMO.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #802
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

1) Some time ago I have posted traffic density in Tallinn in 2007. Here are the values for 2010 (taken from some enviroment report from 2011):
Maximal hourly traffic density (during rush hour), minimal hourly traffic density (during rush hour) and AADT.

2) Also there were questions about Viitna bypass connection to existing road. Here you go. The latest solution:

3) A bit of Tallinn projects. Jarvevana - Tehnika connection street:

Quote:
For crying out loud! Let's make a decent project for an interchange, then change it, then decide that the new version is unsafe and start working on another version. The f**k, really?! I have a feeling that this interchange won't be built before 2016 which is especially stupid since it was first planned to be opened in 2010 and now that Iru-Maardu section is completed, the lack of a proper intersection at T11 - T1 really shows.
Actually, Estonian road administration has no idea what to do with it yet. They are still thinking. But if they to get rid of Olerex and remove a couple of unneeded ramps, this would make it cheaper, easier to navigate and safer. The only question left, is that would it handle the traffic, AFAIK 2004 report, showed that the previous solution was the only possible one.
Interchanges are build for years, so they should have as minimum flows as possible. What badly designed interchange can do, we see in Mao. Yet another accident has happened there.

Quote:
The whole thing is BS. Most accidents that happen because of speeding (over here, at least) are cause by lunatics driving way faster than the allowed speed limit. Lowering the speed limit doesn't prevent that.

In fact, the recent data about speed cameras showed that they have had absolutely no impact on the number of accidents.

It's just a desperate move to show that the government is doing something about the problem, IMO.
Cameras had effect! You can clearly see a rise in the accident rate, after cameras have been installed.
You have a problem, that during the last 2 years, the death rate on Estonia roads has increased by more than 130%. How do you suggest to improve safety?
Most likely we are going to have a new money spending policy on roads. So no more huge projects. It is going to be more in km, but more simple and cheaper. 2+1 roads are one of the possibilities. But if this road will be build as 2+1, don't expect it to be upgraded to 2+2 in the next 30 years minimum.
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #803
Rebasepoiss

The number of police patrols on the road has rapidly decreased over the past few years and due to the high fuel prices even the existing patrols are limited in mileage. I'm very certain that this plays a huge roll in the increasing number of accidents.

Back in 2007 we had an even more serious traffic fatalities issue. Then the solution was to bring more patrols to the streets and highways and it helped. Estonian drivers aren't civilised enough (yet) to behave themselves when they're not being watched. Police patrols have a far larger psychological effect on drivers, IMO, than speed cameras or other electronic traffic control measures.

The government also has to face the truth that our infrastructure also plays a huge role in this. Most settlements even along busy highways have no dedicated pedestrian/bicycle roads, there are very few under and overpasses for pedestrians, there are way too few grade separated intersections, only the newest 2x2 highways are limited access etc.
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #804
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

One thing that annoys me about Estonian drivers (in general) is the following: Let's say there's a cyclist on the road and there is a need to move on the other lane to pass him. A group of 4 cars in a row approaches the cyclist and the first one can clearly see him, but the ones behind him can't. Still, the first one usually waits until the last moment to overtake this cyclist, meaning that the car behind him only has a few seconds to check if there's no oncoming traffic and plan his move, creating a very dangerous situation...

I've had this two days ago and I was a car coming in the other direction. The old military truck which was in the situation of suddenly having to come to my lane luckily had enough braking power to not hit the cyclist and luckily I saw the situation in time as well and moved on the grass next to the road a bit to give room.

And then the issue about not raising the speed limits: The reason I heard was that raising speed limits would give a wrong signal that with limited increase in speed you can get somewhere faster, thus maybe causing drivers to drive faster on other roads as well.

That reasoning I can more or less understand.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #805
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Has the Main Road 1 project around Viitna already finished?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #806
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Last time I passed there (2 weeks ago) the works seemed to be quite advanced already, with most pavement already in place. I think median works, painting and signage are still remaining.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #807
vatse

Likes (Received): 727

Google street view covers now Estonia and Latvia (y)
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #808
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

luckily my lawn was just mowed in time
Maadeuurija está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #809
romanzone

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Has the Main Road 1 project around Viitna already finished?
E20 Viitna bypass should be ready by the end of July.

http://www.virumaateataja.ee/841776 (article about roadworks in Lääne-Viru county)

Next stages of project include renovation of roads passing through Viitna, and reconstruction of Loobu-Valgejõe stretch (about 7 km) in the direction of Tallinn.

Works are going on at Haljala intersection (another big project on E20) and should be ready by January 2013. These include reconstruction of 3,5 km long stretch into 2+2 highway, building two viaducts over E20 and one pedestrian tunnel.

Last edited by romanzone; May 20th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
romanzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #810
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanzone View Post
E20 Viitna bypass should be ready by the end of July.

http://www.virumaateataja.ee/841776 (article about roadworks in Lääne-Viru county)

Next stages of project include renovation of roads passing through Viitna, and reconstruction of Loobu-Valgejõe stretch (about 7 km) in the direction of Tallinn.

Works are going on at Haljala intersection (another big project on E20) and should be ready by January 2013. These include reconstruction of 3,5 km long stretch into 2+2 expressway, building two viaducts over E20 and one pedestrian tunnel.
Is it going to be the first expressway status road stretch in Estonia?
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #811
Rebasepoiss

No. There is no such thing as an expressway in Estonian road legislation. The official name is I class road but it has no restrictions as to which vehicles are allowed to use it.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #812
Tin_Can

Photo update on Loo-Maardu section on E20,just outside Tallinn borders. It will be officially opened in next month.

The asphalt...it is so smooth and the crashbarriers...they are so shiny!
[IMG]http://i50.************/2hxvva.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/smykhl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/sbsepc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2vt896c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/2cz6ipx.jpg[/IMG]

Click on the photo for larger view.
[IMG]http://i45.************/1fv8rt.jpg[/IMG]

Feeder road linking Saha tee to E20 heading towards East.
[IMG]http://i46.************/344wk90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2ry0t9x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/1zp5sax.jpg[/IMG]
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM   #813
Rebasepoiss

The first and only public road tunnel in Estonia , although next year we will get an addition to that by the 320m tunnel at Ülemiste junction.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Updated with information by romanzone
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM   #814
romanzone

Likes (Received): 169

Nice photos! I wonder if they gonna put a "tunnel" sign?

Btw, there are several road tunnels in Estonia, but they are not available to the general public. For example, KUMU service road tunnel in Tallinn, and road tunnel in Port of Sillamäe.

And, if I remember correctly, Ülemiste junction tunnel will be 320m long.
romanzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM   #815
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Impressed with Estonia. It very much reminds me of Finland, but still has that little Russian chunk of atmosphere. Very nice roads as well. Latvia seems to be a bit more on the developing side, while I hated every minute of being in Lithuania...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #816
Tin_Can

I've been in the KUMU art museum service tunnel and maybe it's just a visual illusion (KUMU tunnel is narrower),but I've got an impression that Loo-Maardu tunnel is a lot shorter than KUMU tunnel.

Btw,technically speaking,Ülemiste junction gets two tunnels (with different lengths) - one for either driving direction. Tunnels have few metres of space between and afaik,they aren't connected to each other.
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:24 AM   #817
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Arriving to Tallinn from Narva really feels good now. Right until you actually cross the city border.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #818
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

This week Viitna bypass (E20) will be partly open for traffic!

New images of the Haljala interchange (E20) from Estonian road administration (made 27.04.2012):

Rest here: http://www.mnt.ee/index.php?id=18012
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #819
Rebasepoiss

A new web page was recently launced called Tark Tee or "Smart road". tarktee.mnt.ee It features tons of information about our road network such as road works, detours, decreased or increased speed limits, road cameras and weather stations etc. It's also available in English so check it out!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:59 AM   #820
sebi23ro
romanian driver

Likes (Received): 0

massive works there
sebi23ro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads