daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #921
Valvejoodik

Likes (Received): 831

City of Tartu confirmed the construction of "Eastern corridor" together with new 400m (with 90m over Emajõgi) 2+2 bridge - it connects the Ropka industrial area with Annelinn.

It will decrease traffic density on the Vabaduse bridge and maybe also opens up possibilities of renovating Vabaduse bridge (it is in bad shape).
The construction works have already begun and all works should end in April 2015.

http://www.tartupostimees.ee/1103588...illaehituseks/ (in Estonian)

(From Tartu Postimees, Kristjan Teedema)
Valvejoodik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #922
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

It's a 1+1 lane bridge The scheme for the 2nd stage of Tartu Eastern bypass (including the bridge) can be found here: http://www.tartu.ee/data/ehitusala_2.pdf
The bridge itself:

More renders here: http://tartu.ee/?page_id=24536&lang_...d=2&gal_id=576

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; January 16th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #923
vatse

Likes (Received): 727

The first ice road of this winter was opened on this Monday between Haapsalu and Noarootsi. http://www.postimees.ee/1102816/esma...rootsi-jaatee/
Some pictures http://www.postimees.ee/?g=15170#612844
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #924
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

The Regio/Google Street View drivers should do a winter ice roads special some time, that'd be cool.

EDIT: Nevermind, they have done it!
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:21 AM   #925
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Are there some roads that could be classificated as motorway/expressway (at least 2 lanes per direction, divided and fully grade-separated)?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:25 AM   #926
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are there some roads that could be classificated as motorway/expressway (at least 2 lanes per direction, divided and fully grade-separated)?
The problem is that they are not limited-access. As far as I know, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc. are free to use them.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #927
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Is there a project going on to widen Route 1 Viitna - Rakvere to 2x2 lanes?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #928
Rebasepoiss

Not quite. There is a plan to build a dual carriageway on this section http://goo.gl/maps/AwYV1 but the project is divided into 3 stages. The first stage is the Haljala intersection which is almost finished (you can even see it on Google Maps, next to point B).
A photo from November:

The second stage is building the Aaspere intersection (at point A on Google Maps). The third stage is building a dual carriageway between those intersections. I've no idea when the second and third stage will be built, however. You can see the plan for the whole project here: http://romeda-haljala.ramboll.ee/ind...=174&Itemid=13

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #929
vatse

Likes (Received): 727

The second ice road for this year was opened between Rohuküla and Vormsi island on 22nd of January.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #930
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
The problem is that they are not limited-access. As far as I know, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc. are free to use them.
Currently the design guidelines for highway construction are being updated. Some changes have already been accepted.
Well... according to new guidelines, motorways should be build if the predicted traffic density (AADT) will be over
40 000! In the previous version it was over 8000. I-class roads now require AADT ~17 000 in 20 year perspective, before it was ~6000.

Other major differences:
- I class roads should now be planned as limited access:
* I class roads are not allowed to have same level crossings.
* Only 1 right turn exit/entrance is allowed between the 2 interchanges.
* Pedestrians and bicyclist are not allowed to use I class roads! So parallel road for "light traffic" should be built.

- I class roads can now have 1+1 cross section, with lane width - 5m, if AADT is below 20 000.
- II, III and IV class roads are not allowed to have 4-way intersections. These should be replaced with roundabouts, traffic lights, grade separated interchanges or be rebuilt into several 3-way intersections.

https://www.riigiteataja.ee/akt/108062012001.pdf

Edela liked this post
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #931
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post

- I class roads can now have 1+1 cross section, with lane width - 5m, if AADT is below 20 000.
- II, III and IV class roads are not allowed to have 4-way intersections. These should be replaced with roundabouts, traffic lights, grade separated interchanges or be rebuilt into several 3-way intersections.

https://www.riigiteataja.ee/akt/108062012001.pdf
Is that ALL state-managed roads then? So in the future there will be roundabouts everywhere
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #932
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
* Pedestrians and bicyclist are not allowed to use I class roads! So parallel road for "light traffic" should be built.
They really should introduce the expressway sign to the traffic law.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #933
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
They really should introduce the expressway sign to the traffic law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liikluseeskiri
511. Kiirtee. Koht, kus hakkab kehtima liikluseeskirjajärgne kiirteel liiklemise kord.
512. Kiirtee lõpp.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #934
romanzone

Likes (Received): 169

Expressway or motorway sign?

Everyone can find motorway signs in Estonia, but only in the traffic law. In Lithuania, there are motorways and expressways which exist in real life...

Honestly speaking, I don't know what sort of thing should happen, before we get our first motorway/expressway. Possibly, we need to make some kind of flashmob every day, for example, on E20 Tallinn-Narva highway between Loo and Maardu, drivers should use this stretch as many times as possible, to get maximum AADT.

Stretch of E20 between Loo and Jõelähtme intersections (about 6 kms long) already has a good chance of becoming the first motorway. I mean lighting, collector roads, grade separation etc.

I can't understand what has happened with Kroodi intersection (on road from E20 to Muuga harbour), I mean that viaduct over railway lines. Land issues or engineering mistake, maybe someone knows? Although I live more than 20 kms from that location, but it's still interesting...
romanzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #935
Rebasepoiss

@Tin_Can: I know we have a motorway sign but I meant a separate expressway sign, just to indicate that only motorised vehicles are allowed to use that road.

If you ask me, they should get rid of the separation between I class roads and motorways and just put a motorway sign at every new I class road. Heck, Sweden, for example, has some motorways that have lower standards than our I class roads.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #936
Valvejoodik

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanzone View Post
I can't understand what has happened with Kroodi intersection (on road from E20 to Muuga harbour), I mean that viaduct over railway lines. Land issues or engineering mistake, maybe someone knows? Although I live more than 20 kms from that location, but it's still interesting...
Land issues- My stepfather was one of the supervisors of this project and he told this:

Some guy purchased a lot of land BETWEEN railway lines with intention to "build" houses there (), now he wont let go of the land and wants enormous amount of money for it. I suppose they are going to take the land away from him, but it'll take time until court makes their decision. But supposed as this guy will appeal the court verdict, this is very long process and we won't get this bridge anytime soon.
(Though i have no idea how things are going at the moment, maybe we still get it soon )

EDIT: should be the plot with the red, viaduct is with green.

Last edited by Valvejoodik; January 27th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #937
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvejoodik View Post
Land issues- My stepfather was one of the supervisors of this project and he told this:

Some guy purchased a lot of land BETWEEN railway lines with intention to "build" houses there (), now he wont let go of the land and wants enormous amount of money for it. I suppose they are going to take the land away from him, but it'll take time until court makes their decision. But supposed as this guy will appeal the court verdict, this is very long process and we won't get this bridge anytime soon.
(Though i have no idea how things are going at the moment, maybe we still get it soon )
I just wonder if from any legal point of view it would be possible to build a bridge over his land without touching his property
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #938
mcarling

If the land owner's intentions were clearly not bona fide, then the state should just take about 2 square meters of land on which to put a column and pay him the average land price per square meter. Let him keep the rest of the land. Set an example for future speculators on infrastructural land.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #939
Valvejoodik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
If the land owner's intentions were clearly not bona fide, then the state should just take about 2 square meters of land on which to put a column and pay him the average land price per square meter. Let him keep the rest of the land. Set an example for future speculators on infrastructural land.
Actually this plot is designated as "industrial land"
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #940
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvejoodik View Post
Actually this plot is designated as "industrial land"
Then his claimed intention of building houses there seems particularly bogus.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads