daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #81
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Any renderings of that section which is u/c? Btw, finally a road construction update from EE!
I don't have renderings for Mäo bypass but I do have an overall map in English for serious road geeks:
http://www.mnt.ee/atp/doc.php?3776

I found some photos on the web about the other big project that's U/C at the moment - Kukruse-Jõhvi section on Tallinn-Narva highway:

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; July 15th, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #82
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Well, these new 4-laned highways not necessary have to be motorways, but atleast should get higher speed limits, 120 km/h would be oki-doki.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #83
Rebasepoiss

It's 110km/h in summer and 90km/h in winter....
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #84
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

All right then! Way to go Estonia! Very good rules!
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM   #85
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

From Tallinn development thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
This is new Ülemiste viaduct.It's one way,two lane viaduct allowing traffic to move directly from Suur-Sõjamäe street to Järvevana road.It is a part of total reconstruction of Ülemiste intersection,although we have to wait several more years until we see some major changes there.Price of the viaduct was 39,8 mln ,so I guess its a bargain .It should be finished in few weeks time.

You can see how close the viaduct is to the railway bridge.

Under the bridge

Sideview

View from from Suur-Sõjamäe street.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #86
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Although unpretending but still nice bridge! Good road improvement!
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #87
albeva

Likes (Received): 25

I don't get the idea of this one way bridge there... Are they going to build a second one later on to allow traffic in reverse direction?
albeva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #88
Tin_Can

@RipleyLV - Strange...that post looks familiar

@albeva - There hasn't been any clear info about Ülemiste intersection (only bits and pieces),so I don't know if there will be a bridge in the opposite direction. All I know for sure is that next year they have planned some works there and according to plans once the intersection reconstruction is finished, there will be atleast two or three new viaducts / overpasses there. The new Ülemiste intersection will be three level intersection. Of course this only happens once the government finds enough money...
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #89
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Three-level intersection?! Wow, that would be the first one in Estonia, right?
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #90
Tin_Can

As far as I know,yes. I hope the intersection will be reconstructed soon,as traffic during rush hours is really bad there.
Tin_Can está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #91
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
@RipleyLV - Strange...that post looks familiar

@albeva - There hasn't been any clear info about Ülemiste intersection (only bits and pieces),so I don't know if there will be a bridge in the opposite direction. All I know for sure is that next year they have planned some works there and according to plans once the intersection reconstruction is finished, there will be atleast two or three new viaducts / overpasses there. The new Ülemiste intersection will be three level intersection. Of course this only happens once the government finds enough money...
A quick Google search will find you lots of information about Ülemiste interchange. To answer albeva's question: no. To answer Triceratops' question: if you consider that the interchange will have viaducts and a tunnel, then yes but not "3-level" in the classical manner.

A video of how the interchange will look like(right click and "save as"): http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/Ylemiste_web.wmv

And some techincal drawings:
The whole thing: http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1.pdf
And everything in detail:
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-1.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-2.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-3.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-4.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-5.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-6.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-7.pdf
http://www.kprojekt.ee/docs/08318_GE-T-1-9.pdf

It's actually planned to connect Laagna road to that interchange too, so there is room for perspective viaducts and tunnels but I don't see that happening in the next 10 years.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; August 30th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #92
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
it depends.. mostly on all parts of roads from Tallinn to south direction you would see nothing more than unending woods!
Come on over here. There's places in Canada that's like that. Hinton to Grande Prairie in the Province of Alberta is a fine example of hours of unending woods, on a highway that started out as a resource road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
That's what I like, specially in the winter, when it's all covered with snow I don't like those boring grainfields and meadows..
Don't go to Northern Alberta or Saskatchewan in general then, if you ever get the chance to come to Canada

Back on topic though, love the pics in this thread.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #93
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

IS there any map of estonian roads U/C, including 4 lane roads sections U/C and existing?
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #94
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Oh, I heard there should start a construction of Parnu new city bypass! Has anyone more news about that?
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #95
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

The infrastructure in the video looks really impressive.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #96
Rebasepoiss

Yes, but I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth the money. If the big interchange manages to direct traffic away from the centre(which I really doubt), then it's great. But otherwise, I would invest the money somewhere else. For example, the pavement on some streets is in catastrophical condition, especially on small streets in residental neighbourhoods. And there are virtually no bike routes in the centre of Tallinn. Besides, you don't see real traffic jams in Tallinn.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #97
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Besides, you don't see real traffic jams in Tallinn.
Let's hope it stays that way

A population of 400,000 is enough to create some serious traffic problems if the road network is bad. Luckily, communist building style created enough space for wide boulevards, which can handle traffic much better than say, the narrow streets of Amsterdam or Rome.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #98
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Let's hope it stays that way

A population of 400,000 is enough to create some serious traffic problems if the road network is bad. Luckily, communist building style created enough space for wide boulevards, which can handle traffic much better than say, the narrow streets of Amsterdam or Rome.
Exactly. All major arterial streets are at least 2+2 lanes. Tallinners who complain about our traffic situation should visit Helsinki, for example, or Riga. It took me around 25 minutes during rush hour to travel from the western port to the main railway terminal in Helsinki by bus(a distance of around 3km) You don't see that happening in Tallinn.
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #99
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think it had more to do with Soviets than commies. We didn't have particularly wide roads in Yugoslavia, particularly Ljubljana looks like a village with its max. 4-lane arterial roads (I live close to a 2-lane arterial road ). It has just 260,000 inhabitants, but a total standstill during rush hours, including the (4-lane) motorway ring. We don't even have tram.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #100
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think it had more to do with Soviets than commies. We didn't have particularly wide roads in Yugoslavia, particularly Ljubljana looks like a village with its max. 4-lane arterial roads (I live close to a 2-lane arterial road ). It has just 260,000 inhabitants, but a total standstill during rush hours, including the (4-lane) motorway ring. We don't even have tram.
Tallinn city centre was largely still not built up when the Soviets occupied Estonia during WW2. And the new developments already included wide streets. Many streets were even made wider by demolishing old wooden houses. That means Pärnu road, for example, is sometimes more than 50m wide. It's good for traffic flow but awful in the means of aesthetics.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads