daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #981
jkk

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Sounds insane, unless that means a specific limit for dual carriage roads. (Or motorways, which Estonia has none of.)

I'd like to see the source for that.
Talks about raising the speed limit are only about the 2+2 roads, elsewhere lowering the speed limit is being considered.
  1. Not All Speed Limits Need to Be Reduced, Says Official
  2. Deputy Police Chief Also Open to Raising Speed Limits
Although the article says that also 1+1 roads get 100 km/h speed limits for the summer, as far as I know this was cancelled last year and will not be used any more.

Basically what they are saying, is that speed limits need to be more adjusted to match the road conditions.
jkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #982
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

I don't think 110 for the whole winter is such a good idea for our 2+2 roads. If there's no snow in October-November and March-April than maybe those months could see higher speed limits.

An electronic regulation system might be best. 110 if it's dry and warm in the winter (which does happen quite often), 90 if the overtaking lane is covered in snow and 120 starting from mid-April til the first snow/ice.

Maadeuurija liked this post
ssh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #983
duxo89

Likes (Received): 150

Welcome. I do statistics of roads in Europe. I have question.
What is the total length of Estonian Motorways and Expressways?
duxo89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #984
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxo89 View Post
Welcome. I do statistics of roads in Europe. I have question.
What is the total length of Estonian Motorways and Expressways?
For motorways it's 0. For expressways it probably depends on the definition.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #985
duxo89

Likes (Received): 150

What is the definition of expressway in Estonia?
I read the statistics EUROSTAT that at the end of 2009 in Estonia was 100 km Motorways.

Last edited by duxo89; July 6th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
duxo89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #986
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

As most of you already know, due to the lack of funds, Estonian road administration has decided that years 2014 - 2020 will be dedicated to the existing road preservation. The problem is that current average age of pavement on main roads is 10-12 years, but for regional roads it is over 20 and for local roads over 25! And the numbers are growing. The target is to have it below 15 and keep it there.
This means that majority of money will go to repaving, paving and reconstruction of roads. Amount of new major constructions has been minimized, with yearly investments being at level of 30 - 45 mln EURs.

With this in mind, what major constructions we will see in 2014 - 2020:
1) Tallinn - Narva road
- Sillamae stretch (2016). Reconstruction of the existing 1+1 road in Sillamae with new traffic lights, railroad interchange and pedestrian tunnels.
- Vao interchange (2017 - 2018). Construction of a new interchange near Tallinn. Stage 3 of Vao - Maardu reconstruction.
- Kostivere interchange (2019). Reconstruction of 7km of the existing 2+2 road to add a new interchange and remove same level crossings.
- Aaspere - Haljala (2020). Construction of a new 7km 2+1 or 2+2 stretch between the existing 2+2 sections.

2) Tallinn - Tartu road
- Tartu western bypass (2014 - 2015). Continuation of Tartu eastern bypass reconstruction. In total ~7km.
- Tatra safety improvements (2016). Reconstruction of the Tatra intersection. It will stay same level, but a 1km bypass will be built to improve visibility on T-2 and the T-46 road will get a 2+1 section.
- Kose - Aardu (2016 - 2020). A new 14km 2+2 or 2+1 section.
- Poltsama - Tartu (2018). Construction of 2+1 sections. Pre-project ongoing, no details yet known.

3) Tallinn - Parnu.
- Topi interchange and reconstruction of the road till Tallinn border (2014 , 2017). Continuation of Topi interchange construction in 2014 + a new traffic light in 2017.
- Aasmae - Kernu (2015 - 2016). Construction of the 2+1 sections on the 12km stretch.
- Nurme stretch (2016 - 2018). Widening of the existing 6km section to 2+1 and construction of a new bridge over Sauga river.
- Kernu bypass (2018 - 2019). A new 4km 2+1 section bypassing the village.

4) Tallinn - Paldiski / Tallinn ringroad.
- Section near Keila (2014 - 2015). Reconstruction of T-8 / T-11 intersection into a roundabout + several new roundabouts and a new 500m 2+2 section.
- Vao - Juri (2015 - 2020). This project has been split into 10 small parts. What will be done: Juri big roundabout reconstruction, Juri small roundabout widening to 2+2, Karla interchange, new Laagedi railroad bridge for local traffic and widening of the existing Laagedi intersection to 2+2 with traffic lights.
- Juuliku - Kanama section (2019). Most likely a 5km 2+2 road with traffic lights and a new bridge for local traffic. No Juuliku interchange planned!
- Kanama - Keila (2019 - 2020). Some safety improvements on intersections with road staying 1+1.

Quote:
Whats currently happening on Highway 1? Are there any road constructions going on?
- km 65 - 70. One of the oldest section of the road is being currently reconstructed. Left carriageway near Loobu, which was constructed in 1970s!
Some images: http://www.mnt.ee/index.php?id=23949
- km 72. Viitna viadukt is being reconstructed.
- km 87,0 – 90,5. Haljala interchange is fully open for traffic.
http://www.teeilm.teeinfo.ee/haljala1.php3
http://www.teeilm.teeinfo.ee/haljala2.php3
- km 120. New bridge construction in Padaorg:

Quote:
Also it was recently reported in Latvian media that Estonia's speed limit will be raised to 120 km/h. True?
In one interview head of the Estonian road administration has mentioned that one day it might be good to have. But he is not the one to decide. So it is only talks.

k6uelind, Edela, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #987
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1315

Intresting that our media reported that as if the 120 km/h limit thing has been decided already.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #988
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Estonia can not has motorways
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
Amount of new major constructions has been minimized, with yearly investments being at level of 30 - 45 mln EURs.
Wow, that's pretty much pocket change.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #990
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Is that figure the total annual investment into road infrastructure?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #991
Hasper

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Is that figure the total annual investment into road infrastructure?
Ofcourse not. The amount of investments stays the same. But only ~ 40 mln EUR will go into road network development (new major projects when a road changes alignment, is being upgraded to an upper class, gets interchanges.) and the rest ~ 210 mln EUR per year will be spent on repavements, bridge repairs, reconstructions. In other words for preservation of existing network.
The plans are quite major:
- To repair 400km of gravel roads per year.
- To do preservation repairs on 1200km of roads per year.
- To build 100km of pavement for gravel roads per year.
- To repair up to 35 bridges per year.
- To repave up to 180km of roads per year.
- To reconstruct up to 40km of main roads per year.
+ those major projects from previous post.

The total length of Estonian highway network is ~16 500km

Pansori liked this post
Hasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #992
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxo89 View Post
What is the definition of expressway in Estonia?
I read the statistics EUROSTAT that at the end of 2009 in Estonia was 100 km Motorways.
I don't know the definition, not even if there is any.

I also wonder what is Eurostat's definition for a motorway. Estonian dual carriage roads are not signposted as such. There are also some u-turns allowed and some other features not acceptable on motorways.
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #993
k6uelind

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasper View Post
Ofcourse not. The amount of investments stays the same. But only ~ 40 mln EUR will go into road network development (new major projects when a road changes alignment, is being upgraded to an upper class, gets interchanges.) and the rest ~ 210 mln EUR per year will be spent on repavements, bridge repairs, reconstructions. In other words for preservation of existing network.
I hope these figures 40 and 210 million EUR do not include subsidies from EU. If they do, then something is really wrong.

It is sad to see all these big dreams of great new road developments fade away. But yes, most of them were indeed too unrealistic. But some of them live on in my heart. The northern bypass of Tartu, for example.

Overall, I think. modest but realistic plans are more important than ambitious plans that will never come to reality.
k6uelind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #994
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
For motorways it's 0. For expressways it probably depends on the definition.
While I agree that no Estonia roads should be classed as motorways, whether or not any Estonia roads are classed as motorways definitely depends on the definition, just as for expressways. It may be (I don't know) that Eurostat have a very broad definition of "motorway".
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #995
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
While I agree that no Estonia roads should be classed as motorways, whether or not any Estonia roads are classed as motorways definitely depends on the definition, just as for expressways. It may be (I don't know) that Eurostat have a very broad definition of "motorway".
The Estonian law already recognises the "motorway" sign, familiar to all Europeans; and no roads have been signposted with such.

In the future, maybe.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #996
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I really doubt Estonia will have any motorways ever. The reason being that in 2012 the regulations for building motorways changed: now the estimated AADT (in 20 years' time) must be over 40,000 to require building a motorway. Considering that the current highest AADT on any non-urban highway is just below 30,000 and even that on a very short section, and that we have a declining population it's hard to imagine there ever being enough traffic too meet the needed target.

Fortunately the regulations for building dual carriageways (or 1st class roads as they're called here) are quite strict so the lack of official motorways is not a huge deal, especially if the Estonian Road Administration is considering to rise the speed limits on dual carriageways to 120km/h in the future.

I also think that it's a good strategy to focuse on maintaining the current road network and improving safety, rather than building immensely expensive road projects on just a few short sections. Of course it would be excellent to have both but unfortunately we're not that wealthy.

To foreigners and also for Estonians it's difficult to understand how low the AADT actually is even on our main trunk routes: apart from Tallinn bypass (and a few short semi-urban sections) all the roads with an AADT higher than 10,000 are already dual carriageways. (2012 traffic density map: http://www.mnt.ee/public/Liiklussage...la_lisa_13.pdf )

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; July 10th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #997
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I would focus on constructing passing lanes to provide safe passing options, rather than full motorways, which are indeed not necessary from a traffic volume point of view.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #998
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I would focus on constructing passing lanes to provide safe passing options, rather than full motorways, which are indeed not necessary from a traffic volume point of view.
In my opinion, the major routes of Tallinn-Parnu, Tallinn-Tartu, and Tallinn-Narva should at least be upgraded to 2+1 roads.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #999
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Passing lanes or 2+1 sections on current highways are indeed being considered. The initial project for passing lanes on T2 between Põltsamaa and Tartu is currently being made. The deadline is in November - then we will know in what scale this could actually be done.

The problem with constructing 2+1 highways is the large number of access points - pretty much every house/farm etc along the highway has access. The purpose of this project is to find out where passing lanes could be constructed without the need for grade-separated intersections and extensive collector roads.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1000
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

I don't know why in soviet times the USSR Government built a network of motorways in Lithuania and not in Estonia and Latvia.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads