daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1301
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Then there is a parking space at the SE sector. Where is the exit route to the south? Around the roundabout?

The junction lies close to Tallinn downtown. It is quite common need to include access roads to the local streets in such situations. Because they potentially increase the complexity (and thus the accident risk level), they should be planned more carefully than standard junctions.
The empty space next to the parking lot is actually reserved for a petrol station but yes, you are correct, there is no direct access south from that rest area.

The problem with this interchange is that it was planned based on the wishes of Tallinn city government and not road engineers or traffic planners. Since the interchange is so heavily designed around the petrol station, it smells a lot like corruption but this would be nothing new in Tallinn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Yeah, interesting that the project does not feature the same access the other way around, since IMO it is one of the main key points on why this interchange has to be rebuild. More mature variant was the first one that I saw:

Of course, this one looks more practical and safe, but then again more expensive. So it's understandable that the project got downgraded by the authorities.
Yes, from a traffic standpoint this would've been the preferred solution. However, it was too big and would've partially been in a landscape protection area (striped area on the map).

Tallinn city government also didn't approve of this because it didn't provide direct local access to the 5(!!!) households next to the river.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:28 PM   #1302
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Yes, from a traffic standpoint this would've been the preferred solution. However, it was too big and would've partially been in a landscape protection area (striped area on the map).
What a silly excuse. I agree that in the map above it is presented huge, which would better fit in some rural or more spacious area. However, who's fault was that? I'm sure the planners were aware of the surrounding obstacles, they could've made the same interchange layout only with an elaborate approach.

For example, I multiplied current Väo interchange with the same planned layout of an existing interchange in Wrocław. It looks a lot smaller and more compact, and more could've been done.

I would like to think, that who ever made that huge interchange, lost that idea due to wrong impression.

Quote:
Tallinn city government also didn't approve of this because it didn't provide direct local access to the 5(!!!) households next to the river.
Oh come on..
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 01:03 PM   #1303
Rebasepoiss

I agree with everything you've said. The process for creating a detail plan (which isn't even necessary to build an interchange in Estonia) has taken the city over 10 years and still isn't done. That's the only reason this interchange is still unbuilt.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:55 PM   #1304
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Hi!
I'm driving from Vilnius to Tallinn in May with 3 friends. I hate driving behind trucks all the time (which is what basically happens each time I drive to Riga, on the Panevėžys-Pasvalys and on the Bauska-Ķekava stretches.
I haven't been in Estonia since 2003, so I'd like to know whether there are many trucks driving on the Via Baltica, how is its condition overall.
I'd also like to know whether an alternative road like through Kolovere is a reasonable alternative
Thanks in advance

P.S.: I will post similar questions on the LT & EST forums. My question here is only about the Estonian part.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:57 PM   #1305
Rebasepoiss

The quickest way is definitely Via Baltica, the road surface quality is also good. That being said, it does have a lot of trucks compared to most other roads in Estonia. The section between LV/EST border and Pärnu has low traffic density so overtaking trucks shouldn't be an issue. If you want to choose a more interesting route from Pärnu to Tallinn, I'd suggest going via Järvakandi and Rapla like this. The road quality is not as good as on the main roads, of course, but I think it's still driveable. The worst part is probably between Kaisma and Rapla, everything else should be fine.

If you are using Via Baltica be aware of speed cameras (check here for all the locations of speed cameras in Estonia. You can also download the app "kiiruskaamerad" to warn you.) Waze is also quite popular in Estonia to watch out for police patrols.

Before starting your trip you can also check here for roadworks that might affect your trip. The beginning of May is not the busiest period for roadworks yet so it shouldn't be too bad.
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #1306
Rebasepoiss

2+1 road construction on road nr.4/E67 near Pärnu:

Source

8166UY, kapo311, Mirror's Edge, bleetz liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #1307
Rebasepoiss

Lagedi interchange on Tallinn bypass:

Juuliku section on Tallinn bypass:

Source: http://www.maaamet.ee/fotoladu/
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #1308
Valvejoodik

Likes (Received): 832

Just for the info: road is not actually wavy, it's just the optical (de)effect

kapo311 liked this post
Valvejoodik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #1309
Rebasepoiss

A few aerial photos of the III stage of Tartu Eastern bypass from September 23:
Location:http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/58.3689/26.7813

Source: www.maaamet.ee/fotoladu/

ChrisZwolle, 8166UY, Luki_SL, makaveli6, riiga and 2 others liked this post
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #1310
Rebasepoiss

The Saku-Kanama (5 km) section on Tallinn bypass was finished earlier this Autumn. You can find it on this map. You can also see that the whole Eastern part of the bypass is currently under construction.

A couple of photos of Saku-Kanama section:

Source

And a short aerial video of Juuliku interchange:

ChrisZwolle, makaveli6, riiga, pai nosso liked this post
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #1311
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Are there any plans to make a new road border post between Narva and Ivangorod to bypass the 2 cities' centres?
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #1312
Rebasepoiss

No, especially in today's political climate. Besides, a new border control terminal was opened just 2 years ago: https://news.postimees.ee/3267207/na...&image=4299743

There's also a pedestrian-only border crossing in Narva that was recently renovated: http://www.err.ee/639955/ule-kahe-aa...-jalakaijatele

bleetz liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; November 5th, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:00 PM   #1313
Rebasepoiss

The construction of Kose-Ardu-Võõbu section on T2/E263 is now underway, starting with groundworks in the northernmost part. The whole section is expected to be finished by the end of 2020.

You can see the start of groundworks in this video from around a month ago:
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:16 PM   #1314
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Are there any plans to make a new road border post between Narva and Ivangorod to bypass the 2 cities' centres?
There's no real need. Estonia has the 'electronic queue' meaning that traffic doesn't enter Narva until they're called to the border crossing, while the Russian side of the crossing could handle significantly more traffic, but they choose not to do so. The Narva-1 terminal could easily handle significantly more traffic than it does today, but with Russian controls being slow, they would simply choke the center of Narva (as they used to, until the electronic queue was launched).
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:53 PM   #1315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Estonia will also introduce a truck toll starting 1/1/18. It is a completely electronic toll where you need to register and pay online.

Tolls range from € 12 for one day to € 1000 for a year (assuming a euro 6 heavy truck).

https://teetasu.ee/

This makes Finland the last country in the EU without a truck toll.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:48 PM   #1316
marciomaco
Peido Ninja!!!

Likes (Received): 150

I don't remember Portugal having it...
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Almost all motorways in Portugal are tolled.

The countries with few or no tolled motorways or other form of tolls for trucks;

* Albania
* Cyprus
* Finland
* Iceland
* Kosovo
* Malta
* Moldova
* Montenegro
* San Marino
* Ukraine

So apart from mini states, only Cyprus and Finland have no toll roads for trucks in the EU.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:42 PM   #1318
Rebasepoiss

2017 had the lowest number of road-traffic deaths in Estonia since the 1940s. The numbers for the past few years are as follows:

2014: 77
2015: 67
2016: 71
2017: 48

That being said, the number of people injured in traffic accidents has remained rather stable at around 1,700-1,800 since 2010. This shows that the traffic environment itself hasn't become that much safer in the past 7 years (if at all) but rather the severity of the accidents has become lower, probably due to safer cars. The average age of cars is still significantly higher in Estonia than it is in Western Europe so there is still room for improvement in that area, especially when it comes to preventative safety measures e.g. AEB systems.

Fortunately, the roads are slowly but surely being made safer as well thanks to traffic calming measures, separate pedestrian/bike paths next to rural roads near settlements etc.

RipleyLV, 8166UY liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; January 3rd, 2018 at 06:50 PM.

Tags
estonia, highways, motorways, roads