daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:09 AM   #2001
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Many joggers and runners in the Netherlands use small flashing LED lights nowadays. Some people also put them on dogs if they have to let them out in the dark. Though these small LEDs are probably not really helpful on high-speed roads.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:20 AM   #2002
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

The reflectors are almost useless. Usually you see them only when you can see the pedestrian wearing it. LED lights are pretty common too, from my experience, but the only real solution to this is building sidewalks parallel to main roads, or atleast lighting them in area's where people usually walk.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:22 AM   #2003
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, and bicycle paths detached from main roads.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:48 AM   #2004
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, and bicycle paths detached from main roads.
Cycling is an issue, but not so common as in the Netherlands. I don't agree, that reflectors are useless. But i agree that it depends on what acutally is a reflector.

If one thinks about the budget a country like Latvia has, a campaign for safety using reflectors etc. might be much more helpful than building a fex sidewalks for the same money.

But still i hope this improvements are done also. Compared to my german experience i could "feel" the risk in Latvia when i was there. And the numbers are clear.

About people thinking they are good visible: I almost killed one pupil going to the school on my road. Its a narrow road without sidewalks. But this was not the problem, you cannot drive fast there. He crossed the intersection diagonally and i turned left there. So i drove around him missing him by centimeters. He wore complete dark mostly black and it was last winter. You couldn't imagin my shock. Even if you are slow, you cannot brak fast enough. And if you don't notice the pedestrian you smash him slowly, but the result is the same.

So i don't know what to think about at all. Every so often pedestrians do very stupid things. But i can imagine that its easy to blame them for everything...

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR

Last edited by belerophon; December 23rd, 2015 at 12:54 AM.
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #2005
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
but the only real solution to this is building sidewalks parallel to main roads, or atleast lighting them in area's where people usually walk.
Sidewalks near the main roads? You gonna be kidding...
And I have problems with these dark clothed pedestrians on regional and local roads as well.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:17 AM   #2006
BadHatter

Likes (Received): 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

That fence is to stop pedestrians crossing the road (despite the trees it's an urban area). But they should have added the guardrails too.

But the fences are never effective even at their only goal. Just a waste of money to show that we are "increasing safety". A pohazuka as the Russians would say.
*Pokazuha (from pokazyvat) we've got fences like these on some big roads, I don't know how well they work but I haven't seen people cross the carriageway by hopping the fence or breaking it yet.
BadHatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:22 AM   #2007
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
And I have problems with these dark clothed pedestrians on regional and local roads as well.
I think he means a pedestrian/bicycle path next to the road, like this:

Source:http://www.eestiteed.eu/gallery/kerg...aane-virumaal/

Or a more expensive lit path:

Source: http://www.rae.ee/assaku-peetri-kergliiklustee

makaveli6, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:44 AM   #2008
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
You can't build infrastructure for pedestrians on every P and V road, atleast currently. But building detached sidewalks and bicycle lanes next to roads that are used by pedestrians more frequently is the solution for now.

A few projects are realised every year, but not enough. Currently there are only two U/C objects - pedestrian bridge across A10 and 2 kilometers of lit sidewalk next to A13.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:35 PM   #2009
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2901

Quote:
Originally Posted by belerophon View Post
Cycling is an issue, but not so common as in the Netherlands. I don't agree, that reflectors are useless. But i agree that it depends on what acutally is a reflector.

If one thinks about the budget a country like Latvia has, a campaign for safety using reflectors etc. might be much more helpful than building a fex sidewalks for the same money.

[..]

So i don't know what to think about at all. Every so often pedestrians do very stupid things. But i can imagine that its easy to blame them for everything...
Recently our ministry of Traffic had a conference about road safety. It included experts from Denmark (if I'm not mistaken) and Volvo. The summary of it was:
Denmark and Volvo suggesting the building detached pedestrian and cycle paths in urban and other important areas. And then our ministry and road safety department saying "Yes, but no, we won't do that. It isn't possible. Reflectors will be safer."

The most frustrating thing is that both Estonia and Lithuania do build such paths next to main roads. (From recent projects I like the Lithuanian A11 reconstruction.) Meanwhile we complain that it will never be possible to build a path next to all main roads and don't build any paths. After 10 more years the result will be that Lithuania and Estonia will have a fairly decent network of paths while we won't have any "because it's impossible". Such paths don't cost a lot of money — they are not wide and they aren't made to such strength as road surface.

On other roads I guess people should be encouraged to use flashlights (it's not as clunky as hi-vis vests and for pedestrians there is the visible benefit of seeing where you are going). And that pedestrians should walk on the left side so they could be better seen and vice versa.

There are always the stupid ones. You can't engineer that out. No safety labyrinth pelican crossings or barriers will help.

PS I am happy that in the forum we have actually created a discussion rather than simple new stories and updates with the occasional "wow, great"

makaveli6, Gatis liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #2010
makaveli6
(:

Government has allowed Ministry of Transport to buy five more properties, worth more than 500,000 EUR, in order to start construction of A7 Ķekava bypass.

Poland.

Eiropro liked this post
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #2011
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Road trip to eastern Latvia (Latgale)

I'll go from Germany to Rezekne in eastern Latvia (Latgale region) this summer.
There are two options for me instead of driving via Poland:
1. Using ferry from Kiel to Klaipeda and then A1 to Kaunas, then A6 (LT)/A13 (LV) via Daugavpils to Rezekne.
2. Using ferry from Travemünde to Ventspils and then A10 to Riga, then A6 and A12 to Rezekne.
The route via Lithuania is ca. 100 km longer. But am I right that it is faster to drive than the Latvian route via Ventspils and Riga?
I remember that road conditions in Lithuania were much better than in Latvia in 2003. Is it still the same today?

Last edited by Hanno1983; March 16th, 2016 at 08:29 PM.
Hanno1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #2012
makaveli6
(:

Isn't it faster to drive straight forward through Poland without ferry?

A10 in Latvia has been mostly reconstructed in the last few years, A6 is in decent/good condition (I recommend using P80/E22 when possible, that's a newly built replacement for A6) and A12 is almost fully reconstructed.

If you choose to go though Klaipeda, there are some time consuming road works on A13 and the rest of it isn't in the best shape AFAIK.

Poland.
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #2013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a pretty long ferry trip, but you don't need an overnight stay in a hotel on the way to Latvia. The rates are relatively low for such a long ferry ride (750 kilometers).
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #2014
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
If you choose to go though Klaipeda
through*

I'm feeling inspired after the English exam

makaveli6 liked this post
Old March 16th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #2015
Hanno1983

Thank you very much for your helpful answers.
How much time should I plan for Ventspils-Riga-Rezekne?
And how are road conditions on A9 Liepaja-Riga? I found a Ferry line between Travemünde and Liepaja as well.

Last edited by Hanno1983; March 16th, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #2016
makaveli6
(:

Ventspils-Riga-Rēzekne should take about 5-5:30 hours.

Liepāja-Rīga-Rēzekne is pretty much the same time. A9 was also almsot fully reconstructed in the last three years. Road conditions on A roads in Latvia are generally good, most of the bad parts are in Latgale. If you really worry about the roads, I would recommend to choose Liepāja/Ventspils and then take A12 to Rēzekne, as A13 isn't in such a good condition as A12.
The worst you could encounter on A roads is something like this.

Poland.
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #2017
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

There are worse sections but basically main roads here are quite suitable for driving.
The worst section for you might be Koknese - Jēkabpils.
And yes, choose P80 (E22) instead of A6 - it's much better. It's poorly shown in Google maps but basically it starts from Riga bypass A4 (there it's road P5 actually but it leads to P80) and then for ~63 km it's P80. In Google maps the last 1/3 of it it's shown on the old path.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:06 PM   #2018
Hanno1983

Thank you, guys.
I'll take ferry to Ventspils, and then use A10-P80-A6-A12.
Btw., are there any plans to build P80 as expressway until Rezekne and upgrade it into A-road?
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:15 AM   #2019
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
Btw., are there any plans to build P80 as expressway until Rezekne
It will be an expressway when they will build the second carriageway, but that won't happen anytime soon. Probably makaveli6 knows more about that.

And there are at least 3 pieces (colored in red) missing to make the road complete:
http://balticmaps.eu/?lang=en&draw_h...layer=map&ls=o

Quote:
upgrade it into A-road?
De facto it's already an A-road. It has two level interchanges, an A-road maintenance class and it's included in the A-road traffic intensity map.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM   #2020
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno1983 View Post
Thank you, guys.
I'll take ferry to Ventspils, and then use A10-P80-A6-A12.
Btw., are there any plans to build P80 as expressway until Rezekne and upgrade it into A-road?
As Briedis already mentioned, P80 is already de-facto A road. Currently there are three sections waiting to be built.
  • Rīga-Tīnu˛i, dual carriageway expressway/motorway, construction is planned to start in 2025
  • Pļaviņas-Jēkabpils (Jēkabpils bypass), single carriageway, expressway standart, could start around 2020
  • Koknese-Pļaviņas, single carriageway, expessway standart, could start around 2025

Poland.

Tags
highways, motorways