daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #2061
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11850

They build roads in this cold weather in Latvia? Unthinkable in Hungary!

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #2062
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
They build roads in this cold weather in Latvia? Unthinkable in Hungary!
Earthworks can be done almost all winter long. Paving can be done if it's +4° C or warmer, so it's possible if needed, though the road works are usually planned with a technical break in winter.

For example, there are only four ongoing road projects on Latvian highways right now, the rest are in technical break, even though the temperatures range from -3° C to +5° C this time of year.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

JackFrost liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #2063
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Like Makaveli says, there are works that can be done right now - cleaning ditches, cutting trees, taking off the old pavement etc. When the temperature goes up then only paving can be done.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #2064
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Nedaudz svaigāka autoceļu stāvokļa karte. Tagad arī ar reģionālajiem ceļiem:

Ar reģionālajiem ceļiem ir pilnīgs piņģets.

Par vietējiem ceļiem runājot, viņi varētu atzīmēt tikai tos, kuri ir "Teicami, labi".
Road condition map.
Galvenie = A roads
Reģionālie = P roads
Vietējie = V roads

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

Luki_SL, Ypenhof, Sentilj, MichiH liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:50 PM   #2065
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Hi!
I'm driving from Vilnius to Tallinn in May with 3 friends and I've been considering driving through Utena, Biržai and Skaistkalne instead of Panevėžys and Bauska because I hate driving behind trucks all the time (which is what basically happens each time I drive to Riga, on the Panevėžys-Pasvalys and on the Bauska-Ķekava stretches.
However, some people tell me the road is pretty bad between Skaiskalne and Ķekava, which the map above seems to confirm. But how bad is it? Bumpy-like? Or is it more like a gruyère cheese?
P.S.: I will post similar questions on the LT & EST forums. My question here is only about the Latvian part.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #2066
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Hi!
I'm driving from Vilnius to Tallinn in May with 3 friends and I've been considering driving through Utena, Biržai and Skaistkalne instead of Panevėžys and Bauska because I hate driving behind trucks all the time (which is what basically happens each time I drive to Riga, on the Panevėžys-Pasvalys and on the Bauska-Ķekava stretches.
However, some people tell me the road is pretty bad between Skaiskalne and Ķekava, which the map above seems to confirm. But how bad is it? Bumpy-like? Or is it more like a gruyère cheese?
P.S.: I will post similar questions on the LT & EST forums. My question here is only about the Latvian part.
Well, it might be not that bad. The road condition not always shows the driving quality. I've driven the Vecumnieki-Ķekava section recently and I don't remember anything that bad. Don't know about the Vecumnieki - Skaistkalne section.

EDIT: the last 8 kilometers have road works not exactly going on but they have been paused. When it becomes warmer then you might expect them to continue.

Last edited by Jevpls; April 4th, 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #2067
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Hi!
Have you considered this route?

As for P89, I can confirm that the road is mostly in bad shape. As Jevpls already said, there are road works on P89 too, the section between Lithuanian border and Bārbele is being completly rebuilt. Currently it's on winter break, but construction will resume probably next week.

Poland.
Old April 26th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #2068
makaveli6
(:

from N&B section

Quote:
Reconstruction of P68 from Daugavpils to Mirnijs in 4,5 km lenght.

View towards Daugavpils.

Works should be completed this summer.
Sauce: http://binders.lv/lv/aktualitates/get/nid/145

Poland.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM   #2069
makaveli6
(:

from N&B

Quote:

Poland.

suvi genije liked this post
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #2070
makaveli6
(:

A10 Priedaine-Varakļāni

A10 Lielupe bridge

Pictures from LVC.

Poland.

8166UY liked this post
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #2071
makaveli6
(:

A10 Ozolpils-P121 roundabout

Pictures from LVC.

Poland.

Luki_SL, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #2072
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2302

Some pictures of the A3 roadworks from my recent trip to Tartu, Estonia.

This is the first time I drove the entire A3 from Sēnīte junction till the Estonian border. Overall the road condition is 65-70% very good. However, there are some pretty bad places, like for example, the start of the A3 from Sēnīte junction to Gauja bridge in ~ 1 km lenght. Segment near Brasla had grooves and felt bumpy, but luckily road works are planned there soon. And of course the segment from Strenči to Valka is crap, the road is quite narrow, bumpy and without markings, but the surrounding beautiful nature compensated the ride. On some parts road works already started there in ~ 14 km length.

But now, the photos.

Ripley returns with a classy road trip summary - 5/5/2017

I start with the roadworks before Valmiera town.

1. Approaching crossing with the P11 to Limbaži town. Notice two different fonts in the signage. I prefer the narrow one.

2. The tower in the background means we are close to Valmiera town.

3. Distant view.

4. During the reconstruction they have downgraded the road from 2+2 profile.

Dat "bigfoot" on the right!

5. Narrow sidewalk on the right. Located very "safe" to road as well.

6. New pedestrian crossing with traffic lights.

7. Some overhead signage, of which I dream on every major junction on our dual-carriageways. Also the sidewalk is now a bit wider.

8. This is cloverleaf junction near Valmiera with P18 (to Smiltene/Cēsis) and Rīga street (to Valmiera center).

9. View towards Valmiera center. Valmiera is the 8th largest town in Latvia, and one richest towns as well. Judging by the road width, this segment will remain as 2+2. We are turning for Valka.

10. On the Valmiera bypass.

11. Entering the 1st roundabout.

12. Smoot. Only last layer of asphalt missing.

13. Approaching the 2nd roundabout on the Valmiera bypass in Valmiermuiža.

14. Interesting to see paved stones along the outer curves.

15. Valmiera is behind in this photo.

Works on this segment should be completed this summer.

16. I left out the road works after Strenči, since there were done only some ground preperations works. The road condition and beautiful nature I mentioned, can be observed in Google street view. But, this segment before Valka is jaw breaking.

17. Dafuq is wrong with road builders? Besides the fact they're working on a holiday, this was completely undriveable piece of road. I did these segments at 20 km/h.

18. Meanwhile, in the potato field.

19. Finally Valka town starts after this miserable nightmare. And our photo journey ends.

Unfortunately, I have no information whether these segments will be completed this work season.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #2073
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Why are there no road markings on the edge of the road? It seems dangerous not to have those on main roads at night.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #2074
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2903

Because the roads are not finished. That's not the last layer of asphalt. They've only painted temporary road center line markings.

BTW I like pic 7 part. It's more Dutch with a safe median and turn lanes instead of the Soviet 4 lane wide roadway with right and left turns from the lanes themselves.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #2075
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

That means photo #1 or #10 is not the finished product?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #2076
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2903

In both of those pictures I can still see a roadworks sign with a speed limit. Maybe it is the last layer of asphalt, but they just haven't had the time to paint the other markings yet? But the center line markings that there are seem to be just 10cm wide which is narrower than the proper markings

ChrisZwolle liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #2077
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That means photo #1 or #10 is not the finished product?
Nope, the last layer of asphalt is still missing, if you look closely you can see that the road marking are also temporary.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no information whether these segments will be completed this work season.
All ongoing A3 projects will be finished this year.

Poland.
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #2078
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why are there no road markings on the edge of the road? It seems dangerous not to have those on main roads at night.
Like most of the replies gave You the right answers, from picture Nr.1 to Nr.15 those are indeed temporary markings, since works on this segment are not completed yet (last asphalt layer missing). The speed limit during the entire segment is also set to 70 km/h only, which is a standart procedure during roadworks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
All ongoing A3 projects will be finished this year.
I really hope so. Strenči-Valka segment is at very poor state.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:31 PM   #2079
metacatfry

Likes (Received): 22

I read that there used to be plans for a Northern Corridor in Riga, connecting A2 in the east with A10/A5 in the west. Is such a project being worked on in any way?
metacatfry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:09 PM   #2080
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacatfry View Post
I read that there used to be plans for a Northern Corridor in Riga, connecting A2 in the east with A10/A5 in the west. Is such a project being worked on in any way?
The plans are postponed as city council tought that the whole project is too expensive, even if it's a vital connection for Riga needed ASAP. Instead we will get Southern Corridors 4th stage connecting A7 with A8, Eastern Corridors last stage and a few other smaller projects.

Poland.

Tags
highways, motorways