daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #321
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Better.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #322
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2286

Yes, it is better, highway ramp lenght was rebuilt to Latvian standart requirement (that is 300 m).
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #323
Verso
Islander

I meant the smilie, but the junction is better too.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #324
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

Haven't noticed such good changes in that junction before, its new appearance is way better than the old one, especially in terms of safety!
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #325
Burtinsh
LM

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post

Notice the difference after reconstruction (A1/A2 junction).

It looks brighter
Burtinsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #326
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 735

My video of southern entrance road to Riga

20 km ride through Riga suburban area and city suburbs from southern entrance to the city until bus station. This entrance road is actually in shameful condition, except some rebuilt parts closer to Southern bridge. It is planned to build completely new highway in future and the current southern entrance road will serve as a local road for Kekava town and urban area inhabitants then.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #327
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

This video rocks! Thanks a lot, Vecais! A never seen angle here! At least it shows the real current situation on our roads.. Still, good work!!
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #328
RipleyLV

Good video and neat soundtrack. Finally, Southern bridge 3rd stage construction works have started.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #329
Verso
Islander

Quite a long video. Is this from direction Panevėžys (LT)? I expected a better road, TBH, but at least you can later feel you're coming in a big city. Nice video, Vecais Sakarnis.
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #330
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Quite a long video. Is this from direction Panevėžys (LT)? I expected a better road, TBH, but at least you can later feel you're coming in a big city. Nice video, Vecais Sakarnis.
Thanks! Yes, this is from Panevežys direction, Via Baltica continuation. As I said, this road is a real blemish to Riga, but it's impossible to rebuild it without making enormous traffic jams - you see how many cars are there even on afternoon, before the peak times, and then imagine how it would look when there some rebuilding works would be going on. So, there is no other way than build a completely new, modern highway, but that's beyond our pocket's currently.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Old August 17th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #331
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Good video and neat soundtrack. Finally, Southern bridge 3rd stage construction works have started.
Yeah, they have started - but the real place where they have started is at the Southern bridge left end, I have some pics from there (some 2 weeks old):

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #332
rozwal

Likes (Received): 0

hi! if im going through latvia and estonia from the direction of kaunas to Narva/Sankt-Petersburg, which road would be better to take? A1 in Latvia and then 4 and 5 in Estonia or A3 in Latvia and 3 in Estonia? or maybe through Pskov? Id be really grateful for your advise.

cheers

Last edited by rozwal; August 17th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
rozwal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #333
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

E-262 Daugavpils-Rezekne-Pskov -St. Peterburg
ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #334
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Yeah, that one is the most appropriate for transit in direction to St. Petersburg, but unfortunately thus you won't manage to go through Estonia..
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #335
rozwal

Likes (Received): 0

I'll come there anyways from Helsinki where I gonna stay for few months Thx for your advice, to be honest I took travelling through Estonia for granted and didn't consider going through Pskov.

Could you only tell why is it a better route? Is the road good/empty/sth else? How is it with speed control in Russia? Should I be afraid of cops?

And last but not least, how far is it to Petersburg from Kaunas for example? Cause google maps can't do the calculation which includes Russia.

Cheers and thx for helping me out!
rozwal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #336
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
As I said, this road is a real blemish to Riga, but it's impossible to rebuild it without making enormous traffic jams - you see how many cars are there even on afternoon, before the peak times, and then imagine how it would look when there some rebuilding works would be going on. So, there is no other way than build a completely new, modern highway, but that's beyond our pocket's currently.
When Ķekavas new bypass will be opened, only then this section will be reconstructed into a 4-laned ekspressway using Cohesion and EU funds, it will be connected with the Southern bridge in the current site where junction with Ziepniekkalna street is being built, by the mean time, land is being purchased for the new bypass construction, which by "LAD" is written in their website, should start untill 2010 and the estimate cost - 87 mio LVL. Here is the layout of the new highway, click on the link to download a map in PDF format:

http://www.lvceli.lv/LV/Download/?t=pagefile&i=172

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozwal View Post
Could you only tell why is it a better route? Is the road good/empty/sth else?
It's main entrance to Eastern Europe. Well, the road may be bumpy in some places, but jointly taking, the road is good, because it has been repaved in several places in the last years. About emptiness, this route has low AADT, so the only thing that will bother you with enjoyment of driving will be several trucks that use this road for transit to Russia.

Quote:
How is it with speed control in Russia? Should I be afraid of cops?
If you'll be driving by the rules, everything will be ok-doki, but they can stop only because you are a foreigner and will check your passport, visa.

Quote:
And last but not least, how far is it to Petersburg from Kaunas for example?
~750 km.

Last edited by RipleyLV; August 17th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #337
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Quote:
How is it with speed control in Russia? Should I be afraid of cops?
Actually, hardly anyone cares about speed control in Russia, cops as well - if you have some bucks in you pocket, just go whatever speed you want! It's impossible to drive in Russia without giving bribes to those amazingly corrupt 'myrmidons of the law'!
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #338
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Quote:
Juglas street continuation

In 2009, construction works have started on Juglas street from Biķernieku to Lubāna street. Juglas street construction target is to reduce city center from transit traffic and to improve local road network, main streets creating a connection between Brīvības gatve in Jugla, Augusta Deglava street roundabout and - the future Southern highway.

Also, there will be built sidewalks for pedestrians and separated bicycle path with lights. Biķernieku and Jugla street crossing will be rebuilt to a roundabout. All works will be finished in 2011.

Thanks for sharing that, RipleyLV!
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #339
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
When Ķekavas new bypass will be opened, only then this section will be reconstructed into a 4-laned ekspressway using Cohesion and EU funds, it will be connected with the Southern bridge in the current site where junction with Ziepniekkalna street is being built, by the mean time, land is being purchased for the new bypass construction, which by "LAD" is written in their website, should start untill 2010 and the estimate cost - 87 mio LVL. Here is the layout of the new highway, click on the link to download a map in PDF format:

http://www.lvceli.lv/LV/Download/?t=pagefile&i=172
Didn't know that current road will be upgraded to 4-laned expressway. Is it justified to build such road for only Kekava inhabitants? I think it needs only asphalt repavement and broader shoulders. The main traffic will go through bypass then. And what kind of road will be bypass - 2+2 motorway?

Old August 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #340
Verso
Islander

Quote:
hi! if im going through latvia and estonia from the direction of kaunas to Narva/Sankt-Petersburg, which road would be better to take? A1 in Latvia and then 4 and 5 in Estonia or A3 in Latvia and 3 in Estonia? or maybe through Pskov? Id be really grateful for your advise.

cheers
I don't understand. Are you going to Saint Petersburg or Narva? Or both? You don't have to go through Russia to get from Kaunas to Narva.

Tags
highways, motorways