daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #661
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

delete
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #662
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Good video, especially soundtrack
Road looks quite ok, but definately should be repaved in some stretches, especially 1st lane, which seems to be worse than 2nd lane in some stretches.
Are there any plans to improve the status of the road, for example to expressway ?
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #663
makaveli6
(:

For Xmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
A8 Riga-Jelgava after reconstruction in 2016 is going to have a motorway status with a 130 km/h speed limit.
And if i remember correctly the bad stretches will be repaved in 2011 and 2012
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #664
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Thanks for the video.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #665
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2289

Wow, awesome video you've made. I watched it from the beginning till the end, though I have driven this road like a gazillion times.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:32 PM   #666
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Regarding my pessimism:
- in 2009 there was planned 206 EUR mio investment in state roads. It was decreased to 142 mio EUR. I have no figures for 2010 at hand but in general the investment was decreased per 25% compared to 2009.
- each year there should be repaved AT LEAST 800 - 1100 km of road in Latvia - then the general road quality here would stay the same, e.g. not become worse. The best years were 2007 - 2008, when 500 - 600 km were repaved. In 2010 we will be happy if 200 km will be repaved. 2011-2012 won't be much better. This means = road quality will become worse in coming years, becase there have accrued those roads which need urgent repavement.
- current necessities to have good quality road network for main roads = 6.7 billions EUR. If there would be invested 356 mio EUR for investment + 285 mio EUR for maintenance every year, after 18 years we would have decent road network.
- as Latvian GDP decreases, in next budget planning EU will give less grants to Latvian than in previous period (4% GDP rule). Thus we can expect somewhat less EU investment in our road network than at present.

Thus, sorry, I am really an realist. If some Martians will not land here with 2 - 3 billion EUR, our roads in next 5 years will continue to deteriorate.
The only factor in our favour - road building becomes cheaper here.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #667
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

^ Ok, I believe you, but why do you think that the roads in Latvia would really become that much worse, maybe just the bad stretches wouldn't be improved (as they were since their first pavement), still this won't bring us so much of indignation among the population as most do understand the current situation with financing. Thus, even less amount of kms repaved would only increase the empathy of people towards the country IMO.

Btw, thanks for this pretty video!
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM   #668
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
Regarding my pessimism:
- in 2009 there was planned 206 EUR mio investment in state roads. It was decreased to 142 mio EUR. I have no figures for 2010 at hand but in general the investment was decreased per 25% compared to 2009.
To compare: 2010 budget of Estonian Road Administration is € 250 million. This includes:
- € 91 million from the EU.
- € 58 million for running costs and basic road maintenance.
- € 101 million from the state budget for investments.

The unusually large percentage of EU financing(compared to previous years) is due to several large highway projects on major (inter)national routes that receive EU support.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #669
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19409

E-routes and TEN-T corridors, and Pan-European corridors are much more likely to receive EU-funding. That is also why Poland receives much more EU-funding for roads than the Czech Republic, which has completed most international links.

I do think EU should make more funding available for rural regional development. This also includes roads. We should not forget most EU money goes to agriculture (46.7%), while only 8.5% is reserved for internal policies, which includes Trans-European networks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM   #670
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

As far as I know, road reconstructions in 2011 and 2012 will include only main roads that belong to TEN-T road network. That's why roads A11 and A2 won't get any improvements.

Just in case you need - TEN-T roads in Latvia:
http://www.lvceli.lv/LV/PC/PageImages/Original/1397.jpg
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM   #671
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Do you mean A2 in general and does this also include Riga bypass road - Sēnīte? But at least we can hope for one major project realisation - Riga - Jelgava highway serious improvements! Though, I'm surprised that the planned Riga - Moscow motorway stretch that will be on the current P5 road is not included into financing..
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM   #672
Jevpls

I mean A2 in general - from Riga city to the end at Estonian border.
As far as I know Rīga - Sēnīte is going to be a PPP project but it's still unknown when it will be started. It's the first of all PPP projects in Latvian State Roads homepage [http://www.lvceli.lv/en/?i=130].

Road A8 (Riga - Jelgava) IS in TEN-T network and parts of it should be reconstructed within the next year.

"I'm surprised that the planned Riga - Moscow motorway stretch that will be on the current P5 road is not included into financing" - I'm not sure whether I understand you right but I have seen some reconstructed parts of this P5 some time ago. Maybe that's why you couldn't find it in any financing plans.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM   #673
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Though, I'm surprised that the planned Riga - Moscow motorway stretch that will be on the current P5 road is not included into financing..
P5 from A4 untill Tīnūži was reconstructed in 2008/2009 with EU money.

Generally, A2 from Sigulda till the Estonian border is a good quality road, in recent times many streches were repaved and reconstructed, so I don't think it needs improvements, atleast for now. Of course Riga-Sēnīte won't have any improvements, because it's preparing for a big change in 2011.

A11 needs to be reconstructed ASAP all the way from Liepāja till Lithuania. I drove on that (can't call it a real road though) road last year, potholes everywhere, I think it's the worst A-road in Latvia. I felt so embarrassed.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM   #674
Jevpls

Last time I drove A11 was like a year ago and it was bad. And now it should be even worse, like RipleyLV said.
But there is a little problem. As far as I know, almost all serious road reconstructions this and further years are going to be financed mostly by EU. A11 isn't in E or TEN-T road network - it means that this road isn't important for EU. Probabaly possible road works will be postponed for some time and only holes will be filled.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM   #675
Denis_Msk

Likes (Received): 206

From lvceli.lv:
Quote:
Atbilde: 29.05.2009. 9:22:36
Tuvākajos gados būtiska seguma kvalitātes paaugstināšana autoceļā A11 Liepāja-Lietuvas robeža (Rucava) netiek plānota ierobežotā autoceļu finansējuma dēļ.
Denis_Msk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM   #676
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

^ So sad.. But imagine what would be with regional roads if they don't finance even some national ones?!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM   #677
makaveli6
(:

UPDATES:
Slavu roundabout:
[IMG]http://i50.************/dqlstc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i46.************/fbxlxk.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.************/w82p0j.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.************/2af0877.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/208g0ub.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.************/20pu68i.jpg[/IMG]
Brīvibas gatve widening:
[IMG]http://i50.************/27wrsec.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.************/a4rjp2.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #678
RipleyLV

What is "Colour of motorway signs in Latvia and Macedonia" thread doing here?

Edit: now it's better Chris.

Last edited by RipleyLV; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM   #679
makaveli6
(:

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #680
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Wow, second stage of Southern bridge looks even more impressive than the first one for me! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date! And the vid is nice as well. Good job, makaveli6!

Tags
highways, motorways