daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #981
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

In fact I don't give much about these black spots. As far as I know, when somewhere (for example) 5 people are killed in car accidents during 3 years, that place is called black spot. But is there any analysis how did they die? I guess that no.
Imagine road section with good visibility, great pavement and good driving circumstances. And somehow very fast driving drunk person manages to lose control and to crash into another car with 4 people. 5 dead bodies... should we call it a black spot?

If such analysis is done - then fine
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #982
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2302

A8 highway near Olaine today:
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #983
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Thats something you dont see everyday.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #984
Jevpls

Lucky you...
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #985
makaveli6
(:

Speed limit could be raised on some roads from 90 to 100 or 110 km/h. Probably on A2 or A10.
Google Translate:
Quote:
The total maximum speed of Latvian should not be allowed to increase, but some roads would be possible today, Defence, Internal Affairs and Corruption Prevention Committee meeting held the State Police Prevention Department Head Edmunds fish

Zivtiņš explained that the Latvian roads built to them through a safe passage to the present, the maximum speed of 90 kilometers per hour. However, in some places, such as through the newly built road to look at all the circumstances, the maximum permitted speed would increase to 100 or 110 kilometers per hour.

The speed limit could be increased only on certain roads

He did not want to specify exactly which roads would be so admitted, however, as the examples cited or direction to Sigulda to Jurmala.

"It remains to be seen from the site-specific conditions, or a movement in one direction only, or a barrier, the band," says fish.

Advertising

Prevention Bureau Chief said that last summer on the issue discussed, but the decision was not taken. There was talk to the Ministry of Transport, "Latvian State Roads and Road Traffic Safety Directorate.

"This is a Ministry of Transport of the question, but police will not mind," says fish.

Zivtiņš and drew attention to the fact that the average traffic speed reduction of about 10 kilometers per hour allowing the rescue of about 100 to 150 lives per million.

The most common violation - speeding

2009th The RTA, together with the Ministry and the State Police held a campaign to "Speed. Deathly tricky. Be wiser!". The aim was to reduce the wrong choice because of the speed of traffic fatalities number of participants. Statistics show that approximately a third of accidents are just too big or the wrong choice because of speed. In addition, speeding is the most common traffic offense, which represent about half of all crimes.

Over speed is the main cause of a Latvian are being introduced speed camera. Temporary traffic monitoring office has four mobile radars, but in the second half of that number could grow by another 160, if successfully concluded in the purchase of tender.

It may be noted that last year's fixed speed camera fines for breaches imposed 347 500 lats. In addition, fixed speed camera, not only with speeding offenses, but also with the help of specialized software checks whether the car is not participating in traffic without a valid compulsory motor insurance (OCTA) for which the fines were at least 60 Lats.
In Latvian: http://www.tvnet.lv/auto/satiksme/36...uksanas_atrumu
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #986
Burtinsh
LM

Likes (Received): 18

Great news. Can't wait when A2 will be 110+
Burtinsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
The most common violation - speeding
That's not so weird considering it's also by far the most enforced type of offenses. Other violations are simply not registered, such as driving under influence (it's just the tip of the iceberg what the police manages to catch).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #988
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtinsh View Post
Great news. Can't wait when A2 will be 110+
Its a bit weird that he mentioned A2, afaik there are no plans to repave it, because the pavement is pretty bad in some parts. Also the expressway plans have been delayed for unknown time. A10 on the other hand had 100km/h limit some years ago, but i dont know know exactly when and why (anybody knows?) it was scrapped. Anyway A10 should really get 110kmh limit. By the way i think that A6 should get a higher speed limit, but he didnt mention anything about it.
Any other opinions?
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #989
Jevpls

As far as I know, our dual carriageway sections are designed for quite high speed - 150 kph or so. It means that curves and visibility are good enough to provide fast driving possibility. Sure, somewhere are problems like bad pavement, towns and intersections but it could only limit speed in these sections, not everywhere.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #990
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
By the way i think that A6 should get a higher speed limit, but he didnt mention anything about it.
Not only you think this way. As far as I know, there was idea to allow faster driving on A6 till Ogre but CSDD denied it because of bad pavement. Maybe it was not that good then but ~2 years ago it was fully reconstructed and pavement now is good but nothing has changed about speed.

I think that CSDD thinks somehow like "do not change anything and it won't be worse like now". For example, they ****ed up NP14A crossection (the one with wide shoulders, you can see it on road A1). You better don't use it in project if you wish CSDD to approve it.
Maybe there were little problems with it in the first year - at first you have to understand how it works but now everything seems fine! But do you think they will say that they were wrong? In your dreams.
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #991
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
As far as I know, our dual carriageway sections are designed for quite high speed - 150 kph or so. It means that curves and visibility are good enough to provide fast driving possibility. Sure, somewhere are problems like bad pavement, towns and intersections but it could only limit speed in these sections, not everywhere.
To bad our genius road builders ruined A8 highway with those useless U-turns. For example like this one near Dalbe and more in Jaunolaine. I haven't seen such designs anywhere in Europe or Russia, are they specially thought for reducing speed on a straight 4-laned highway? Seriously, right now is the time when we are getting most of EU money exactly for roads, why can't they finance two viaducts, one near Dalbe, second between Olaine and Jaunolaine, then increase the speed limit to 110+ km/h.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #992
Jevpls

As far as I remember, 110 kph is allowed on motorways only.
Why can't we allow 110 kph on usual dual carriageway road? Sorry, but my law knowledge is insufficient and I can't explain, whether it's decided by CSDD, by EU or by other institution. If anyone can comment this - be so kind, please.

But I guess it' s our own deal, not EU, because I have seen Lithuanian motorways and they have lots of intersection, even in single level. What' s wrong with them? Actually nothing. But we have to be so perfect...
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #993
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Intersections are not the only thing why you can't have expressway or motorway standard road. There are such things like: road's security zone, safety installations, eve width of lane, tightness of curves the length and width of acceleration and deceleration lanes etc. Must adjescent roads be installed for a local traffic too. So just increasing speed without neccessary improvements could be insane decision.

In Lithuanians for motorways it was a shame those 1 level U-Turns, but we improved it. If I'm correct just on A2 Vilnius - Panevėžys there 2 of them, on A1 Kaunas-Klaipėda (215 km) no 1 level U-turns remained, because road administration removed them due to increase of safety and fit the standards. And actually those 2 one level U-Turns are on 128 km long stretch. We have put a lot of money to A1 Vilnius - Kaunas, but what we managed to achieve is 30 km of expressway standard road and currently lots of stretches seems to be finished for a motorway status but we don't have it and currently it is far better than your A8 or A2 as far as I remember qualitty of it. So increase without investments, could cause some negative consequences.
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #994
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

As an aside question -- is the speed limit on Latvian roads the same both in summer and in winter?

To account for the behaviour of most drivers, maximum allowed speed should be reasonably safe even in less-than-optimal conditions -- at night, in rain, or when the road surface is frozen or snowy. Perhaps the reluctance to raise the limit stems from these reasons.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #995
makaveli6
(:

It's the same.
I was thinking also of A1. After the reconstruction its speed limit should be raised to atleast 100kmh, taking that it is a 1x2 road. Most of the drivers drive on it with 100+ anyway. Also im hoping that E22 after reconstruction will get a 100kmh limit.
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #996
RipleyLV

Potential highways to get a higher speed limit (110 km/h) is A1 Baltezers-Skulte, E22 Tīnūži-Koknese and A10 Riga-Jūrmala, today announced by "LAD" director.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #997
Jevpls

As far as I remember, A10 used to be 100 kph during summer and 90 kph all other time. Wasn't it so?
---
No wonder that E22 (Tīnūži - Koknese) will have greater speed limit - it's built in the right way - with split level intersections and so on. Everything is ok with A10 section Rīga - Jūrmala too. But A1? I am not against increasing speed limit but why do we have to do it on 2 lane road if other dual carriageways are staying the same?
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #998
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
As far as I remember, A10 used to be 100 kph during summer and 90 kph all other time. Wasn't it so?
It was, A8 before Riga had a 100 km/h speed limit too.

Quote:
No wonder that E22 (Tīnūži - Koknese) will have greater speed limit - it's built in the right way - with split level intersections and so on. Everything is ok with A10 section Rīga - Jūrmala too. But A1? I am not against increasing speed limit but why do we have to do it on 2 lane road if other dual carriageways are staying the same?
Most likely A1 meets all the safety requirements and has less one-level crossings.
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #999
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
It was, A8 before Riga had a 100 km/h speed limit too.
It did? Im using A8 almost daily for about 15 years, and i dont remember seeing 100kmh limit.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1000
RipleyLV

100 km/h speed limit was from A5 junction till railway crossing before Riga, I don't recall when was the last time I saw the signs, maybe in 2002? Later I was very surprised when they got replaced with 90 km/h signs.

Tags
highways, motorways