daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1141
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
50 kph on what looks like a dirt road? Isn't that a tad...dangerous?
Why should it be? I usually drive 80-130kmh on that type of roads, tough the limit on these roads in Latvia usualy are 90kmh.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1142
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Well my experience with dirt roads is that they cease to be safe after about 30mph (which is how many kph's again...?) Frankly I'm also a bit surprised that Latvia has dirt roads important enough to signpost with speed limits--even in the ultra-rural parts of e.g. Pennsylvania (like Potter County) the main through roads are all paved.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1143
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2289

Quote:
Frankly I'm also a bit surprised that Latvia has dirt roads important enough to signpost with speed limits--even in the ultra-rural parts of e.g. Pennsylvania (like Potter County) the main through roads are all paved.
The 50 km/h speed limit sign is there because of road reconstruction works.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1144
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Why should it be? I usually drive 80-130kmh on that type of roads, tough the limit on these roads in Latvia usualy are 90kmh.
lol, I drive on 70-90 only on such roads and once I crashed in winter at 60 km/h on ice turn, so..
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1145
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
lol, I drive on 70-90 only on such roads and once I crashed in winter at 60 km/h on ice turn, so..
That depends on the road quality i think. In Latgale there are many wide, straight, lonely and long gravel road. Its like a gravel road heaven for me, once got even up to 180 without any noticable problems.
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1146
makaveli6
(:

A7
[IMG]http://i56.************/15zfv5s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/j5jmft.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i51.************/2pqnguh.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.************/ao2al5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.************/23wjm6q.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1147
RipleyLV

I made my first video showing the widened part of Dobeles highway (P97) in Jelgava. Officialy it was opened last month and it is the most used road in Jelgava town not only by local commuters, but also by heavy transport coming from A8/E77 (Lithuania) to Ventspils and Liepāja directions. Possible AADT could be around 6500, a lot more is in the town itself, don't have exact data. The video was made this Sunday morning, so don't expect big transport flow.

Some notes from the video:
1) 0:09-1:09 | Reconstructed part of Lielā street in 2009-2010. Speed limit 50 km/h.
2) 1:01 | Yeah, some people are just too lazy to make a U-turn at the crossing.
3) 1:03-1:07 | Crossing with P95, inner Southern bypass of Jelgava, mostly used by heavy transport transit. On the right side of the crossing in the future is planned the Northern bypass of Jelgava, earlier it was announced by officials that this project will be included in the next planning period, so this project might have a green light after 3-5 years.
4) 1:09-2:51 | Widened part of Dobeles highway, construction time 2010-2011. Speed limit 50 km/h , should be atleast 70 km/h.
5) 2:54 | Jelgava town border limit ends. Speed limit raises to 90 km/h for a few hundred of meters.

Apologize for the quality. Filmed in direction to Dobele.

How it looked last year in April:
Quote:
Entering Jelgava.
[IMG]http://i44.************/288tea0.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1148
makaveli6
(:

Hehe, i remembr those pictures.
Btw did you film the video with your phone or camera Ripley?
----
Taken yesterday, Rīga - Iecava video, watch in 720p.
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1149
RipleyLV

Can't wait to see that part of A7 before Ķekava milled next year.

Quote:
Btw did you film the video with your phone or camera Ripley?
I filmed it with my Canon IXUS 60 digital camera. Video options are worse than on your phone.

Is it badass or what? On second thought, why did they ignore destinations like Ķekava and Iecava?
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #1150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19409

Why do they install large gantries just for a small sign indicating lane configuration? It seems expensive... A sign on the side together with arrows on the pavement would do the job, you'd think. Anyway, it looks rather good. It reminds me of those newly renovated roads of Poland.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1151
makaveli6
(:

@Ripley, how did you mount your camera to film the video?
@Chris, are you talking about the part 1:35?
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1152
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why do they install large gantries just for a small sign indicating lane configuration? It seems expensive... A sign on the side together with arrows on the pavement would do the job, you'd think.
How would one see the arrows on the pavement when covered in snow or ice or both?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1153
RipleyLV

^ Not only that, with these gantries they give a better visibility IMO too.

Quote:
@Ripley, how did you mount your camera to film the video?
I tied the camera with a wire to the place where the air is blowing on the windshield.
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
How would one see the arrows on the pavement when covered in snow or ice or both?
Good point. But I think it's still somewhat over the top, I can't member seeing this in Poland or other countries with frequent snow cover. I can understand it at major intersections, but these are mostly uncontrolled left-turns, probably to minor streets considering there are no traffic lights.
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1155
RipleyLV

One of the largest infrastructure projects completed this year outside of Riga was opened for traffic on 5th of October in Daugavpils. This new highway connects two very populated parts of the city aswell will decongest traffic in the centre. It's the first stage of Daugavpils North inner-city bypass project.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/60016520
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It looks nice. I just looked to Daugavpils and noticed many residential streets are still unpaved. Any plans to improve that?
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1157
makaveli6
(:

Many residentials streets in Latvian cities are unpaved. Exception could be Riga, here more or less every street is paved, exception being some small roads in older neighbourhoods like Āgenskalns or some areas with rapid resdential housing building, but those roads are usualy paved when they finish building the housing, examples could be Mārupe, Ulbroka, Ķekava. (Riga suburb)
As for other cities im not really sure, every city i've been to has some unpaved residentials roads including Daugavpils. This could be explained by the lack of money. In Soviet times when the housing was built there was no need for paving it, because very few people had cars, and now when road paving, building and reconstructing is happening, the main focus is put on main roads, only after that will the residential streets be paved.
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1158
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Well my experience with dirt roads is that they cease to be safe after about 30mph (which is how many kph's again...?) Frankly I'm also a bit surprised that Latvia has dirt roads important enough to signpost with speed limits--even in the ultra-rural parts of e.g. Pennsylvania (like Potter County) the main through roads are all paved.
There is a difference between a simple dirt road leading to a lonely house and a wide gravel road between two towns. It explains everything.
Very often gravel roads have no great difference compared to paved roads - except pavement and some curves. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It looks nice. I just looked to Daugavpils and noticed many residential streets are still unpaved. Any plans to improve that?
It is so but there is something going on. I've seen road works on some streets there and these are serious road works. Seems like they are going to be paved.
I heard rumours that something was going on in Jēkabpils/Krustpils too - many streets weren't accessable for driving this year.

It's obvious that nobody wants unpaved streets but the lack of money is the main reason of doing nothing to improve the situation.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1159
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

Can anyone help me to find a webpage showing road works and traffic situation on streets of Riga? I once found it but can't find it again. It was Latvian site showing online traffic on the map.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #1160
makaveli6
(:

balticmaps.eu

Tags
highways, motorways